What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticket Sales for the Four Nations

nadera78

Juniors
According to a poster on trl, Club Wembley seats (the middle tier - 15,000) are now for sale. That suggests the lower bowl (36,000 ish) is close to selling out.

Rarefrith

Juniors
The lower bowl has completely sold out now, tickets are now on sale in the upper bowl. Crowd looking at 40,000 plus!

langpark

First Grade
Yes, I, too, struggle to understand why the Aus/Kiwi game wasn't scheduled for London again. I'm sure it would have sold out and generated a fantastic atmosphere.
Crowd at the Stoop in 2009....: 12,360
Crowd at Warrington last night: 12,491

No difference really... I actually prefer the decision to play it at Warrington, that way the "true" rugby league fans got to watch it, instead of a stadium full of working holiday Aussies and kiwis, who'll be back home in six months watching those same players in the NRL anyway...

No it means people who don't normally watch RL because they're from an AFL state or they're just not RL people but will go along to watch because it's Australia and NZ won't go so it denies potential new fans for the game. Anyone who went at Warrington would go to RL every second week. There were 17,000 at Loftus Road and that also shows how stupid the RFL were for playing it at the Stoop last year. The other stupid thing is, the RFL are putting everything into promoting Wembley, yet playing a trans-Tasman game in London a week out would do more for getting a crowd than anything else. Anyone who went to that game would have probably backed up and gone to Wembley too, especially if they did a ticket offer for both.

Meanwhile they reckon there were 10,300 in am 11,000 seat stadium at Leigh.

http://www.leighsportsvillage.co.uk/the_leigh_sports_village.php?village_id=9

Looks like union isn't the only sport that lies about these figures. On top of claiming there was 23,000 at Wigan last time when there were empty seats everywhere the game is looking like a joke when these clearly inflated figures are made up to make the organisers look half competant.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Apparently the empty seats in the side opposite the camera were allocated to sponsors who didn't turn up, but were presumably included in the attendance.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
No it means people who don't normally watch RL because they're from an AFL state or they're just not RL people but will go along to watch because it's Australia and NZ won't go so it denies potential new fans for the game. Anyone who went at Warrington would go to RL every second week. There were 17,000 at Loftus Road and that also shows how stupid the RFL were for playing it at the Stoop last year. The other stupid thing is, the RFL are putting everything into promoting Wembley, yet playing a trans-Tasman game in London a week out would do more for getting a crowd than anything else. Anyone who went to that game would have probably backed up and gone to Wembley too, especially if they did a ticket offer for both.

Meanwhile they reckon there were 10,300 in am 11,000 seat stadium at Leigh.

http://www.leighsportsvillage.co.uk/the_leigh_sports_village.php?village_id=9

Looks like union isn't the only sport that lies about these figures. On top of claiming there was 23,000 at Wigan last time when there were empty seats everywhere the game is looking like a joke when these clearly inflated figures are made up to make the organisers look half competant.

Watched the game and i have no issue with the crowd. There were a couple of hundred empty seats in the stand opposite the camera. Plus a few empties in the seated end, so fail to see how the crowd was inflated.

Sports in the UK dont crowd bash to anywhere near the extent they do in australia where IMO it is paranoid in the extreme across the football codes.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Indeed, I thought the crowd figure was correct as well.

When ECT said it wasn't, that confirmed it for me.

yakstorm

First Grade
Seriously those bays in the camera view which had empty seats, barely held much more than 30 people each, the vast majority of the crowd was at the ends and the same side of the camera, and from what we saw of those scenes, they were quite packed.

Leigh's officially capacity is a little bit over 11,000, so I have no issue believing the crowd announced, I saw less than 700 or so empty seats there from watching the game.

Both games looked good on TV as they both venues were near capacity. It would have been better at Leigh if those sponsor seats were on the other side, but still the game came up quite alright on BBC.

Hopefully the Club Wembley (middle tier) seats that have been opened up at Wembley are in the TV arc, that should mean the venue will look great on Saturday.

yakstorm

First Grade
Hopefully the RFL is going to open up more seats on the middle tier in the next couple of days.

From having a look online, 202, 203, 204 & 205 are all sold out already, 251 and 250 both only have limited capacity, leaving only 248, 249 with a fair bit of space.

All the lower bays have 4 or less seats available together meaning it will look great on TV.

roughyedspud

Coach
so far we've had

12,491 in a 13,024 capacity stadium

&

10,377 in a 11,000 capacity stadium

whats the whinging all about?.........seems perfect choice of stadia to me..full stadia look good on tv..thats all that matters

The Clan

Juniors
Richard Lewis said in his post match (Eng v Wal) interview that the whole of the bottom bowl at Wembley is sold out (34,303) and that the upper tier (39,165) is now selling well with a week to go.

So that's a minimum of 34,303 attendance even if we don't sell another ticket or have any walk ups on the day, not bad.

Then there's club Wembley, (16,532) the middle ring, these seats are the property of companies who have tickets to every event at Wembley an pay an annual fee to the SMC for the privilege, whether they turn up or not or transfer their tickets to others is up to them. The problem with that is the potential or a huge number of empty seats is very high and despite being nothing to do with the RFL it always looks bad on them, the event and the sport.

The whole game just looked cheap.

Cheap, crap looking 13k stadium. Not good enough for the worlds 2 best teams.
Sign writing freshly done, players ending up with paint all over them. That looked cheap.
Cheap pom ref.
Cheap commentary (This one is SKY NZ's fault though, the audio just sounded terrible, a lot of hiss. And you could hear Phil Clarke's sideline commentary in the background. But then again Eddie and Stepho always sound cheap).
Typical cheap pom short in goals (robbing Nightingale of that amazing try assist)

England are making the international game look cheap.

Last edited:

Sam_the_man

First Grade
remind me again how NZ v PGN in rotorua went in 2010

6,000 rattling around in a 34,000 capacity stadium

good going that well done

I very much doubt that that stadium has ever had 34000 in it. Also Spud, how many would you get to an England vs. PNG fixture?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I'm very happy with the crowds so far.

A neutral game more or less sold out and England vs a minnow more or less sold out.

5 years ago, the England game wouldn't have reached 5 figures, and add onto this the recent French resurgence for internationals, why complain?

Hopefully 50,000+ this week and we are laughing.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
The whole game just looked cheap.

Cheap, crap looking 13k stadium. Not good enough for the worlds 2 best teams.
Sign writing freshly done, players ending up with paint all over them. That looked cheap.
Cheap pom ref.
Cheap commentary (This one is SKY NZ's fault though, the audio just sounded terrible, a lot of hiss. And you could hear Phil Clarke's sideline commentary in the background. But then again Eddie and Stepho always sound cheap).
Typical cheap pom short in goals (robbing Nightingale of that amazing try assist)

England are making the international game look cheap.

First two points i agree with you on. The rest of you're points i totally disagree with.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
I'm very happy with the crowds so far.

A neutral game more or less sold out and England vs a minnow more or less sold out.

5 years ago, the England game wouldn't have reached 5 figures, and add onto this the recent French resurgence for internationals, why complain?

Hopefully 50,000+ this week and we are laughing.

Yes i'm over the moon with what we're seeing in France. Not only are the crowds on the up but playing numbers are also increasing. Well done French rugby league.
I also have the impression that if the French had another coach, one with a better pedigre, they would more than compete with the likes of England.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Yes i'm over the moon with what we're seeing in France. Not only are the crowds on the up but playing numbers are also increasing. Well done French rugby league.
I also have the impression that if the French had another coach, one with a better pedigre, they would more than compete with the likes of England.

Yeah agree, not sure if they'll give England a game yet though, might hang in there for 50-60 mins.

With the England crowds, I'd rather those two games where they were, 99% full small stadiums compared to the same crowd in a 20-25k stadium looks much better.