What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers to sign Blair

Fordy20

Juniors
Don't rate him, especially not for the money he's asking. Would rather a real prop, like James Graham, but since we missed that boat, maybe someone like Jon Mannah.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Bit of a waste at prop, tigers probably wouldn't be able to resist and throw him there because there backrow is pretty strong. Hope he goes to the Eels, all they have is Hindmarsh.

holman

Juniors
Since the Tigers have been mentioned with regards to buying him I have been watching him more closely, I can't see him being worth any where near the $500,000 being mentioned, maybe $300,000 is closer to the mark.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Bif of a waste at prop? Hvae you not seen his performances in test matches there? He's a more consistent but slightly less damaging on best day version of Ali Lauititi. It doesn't matter where you play him - he'll make holes with the ball in hand and defend his zone well.

Borat.

Juniors
even if we miss him atleast the club is looking to spend some major $$$- just a matter of who we get.

andrew9148

Juniors
I'd prefer he came and you went.

Sorry for wanting players who want to come to the club. How about you go and put your head in your sock drawer you muppet. Blair said in today's paper he wanted to stay in Melbourne. He will die for the Tigers wont he you carrot

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
we're denying it in the light of the salary cap we recently copped, and the fact we've not shed any players.

It would arouse the suspicions of the salary cap auditors

TroopyF

Juniors
we're denying it in the light of the salary cap we recently copped, and the fact we've not shed any players.

I read something along these lines in one of the papers, surely would have ruffled a few feathers if he's signing was anounced in light of the supposed breach. Fingers crossed its a done deal.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
On the Tigers main site they are saying with McKinnon going and at least one of two (referring to Gibbs and Fulton) going, space is being created to fit Blair into the salary cap.

If he does come on board I would like to see him play lock. I know lock is similar to a third prop in positional play but I don't see value in playing Blair as a tradional prop. I think he is better running a little wide of the ruck or getting involved in second phase play...or running off Lui/Marshall in broken play.

Can he play a full 80 minutes? I can't say I have ever really taken that much notice. He is devastating running a little wide, but I would rather see BMM, Fifita, Galloway, Woods and Gibbs running in tight. Don't know what happens to Hino if he does play lock.

It isn't a bad back row of Dwyer, Ellis and Blair. The rotation of props with those young guns looks OK to me.

Just my thoughts.

Tigerm

Coach
On the Tigers main site they are saying with McKinnon going and at least one of two (referring to Gibbs and Fulton) going, space is being created to fit Blair into the salary cap.

If he does come on board I would like to see him play lock. I know lock is similar to a third prop in positional play but I don't see value in playing Blair as a tradional prop. I think he is better running a little wide of the ruck or getting involved in second phase play...or running off Lui/Marshall in broken play.

Can he play a full 80 minutes? I can't say I have ever really taken that much notice. He is devastating running a little wide, but I would rather see BMM, Fifita, Galloway, Woods and Gibbs running in tight. Don't know what happens to Hino if he does play lock.

It isn't a bad back row of Dwyer, Ellis and Blair. The rotation of props with those young guns looks OK to me.

Just my thoughts.
Heighno is too small & too predictive IMO, I am with you, in that I don't know Blair's game either, but your back 3 looks good, if he is as good as they all think?

However, Heighno hasn't been mentioned as a release, so you can only assume that he (Blair) is being looked at as a FR replacement for Gibbs??? Not my ideal choice (Galloway for me), but if it's felt they need him, then to fit him in the salary cap, tough decisions need to be made?

Last edited:

Bench

Blair nearly always plays 80 minutes,and backrow is his spot.

Just my thoughts.
Blair nearly always plays 80 minutes,and backrow is his spot.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
sorry but we were how much over the cap? lets say 100k
Which contracts got upgraded, wage wise? Woods, Ayshford, Fifita...
McKinnon would've been on maybe 150k

His realease would posibly almost cover the overs and 1 or two contract upgrades

Fulton wouldn't be on more than 150k Blair is rumoured to cost close to 500k

We need to lose more than Fulton and Gibbs to cover the gaining of Blair.

Given the concession we get for Gibbs this year and every subsequent year, it's actually a benefit for us to hang onto him, makes his wage smaller for us.

good chance to offload Ryan, (either Moltzen or Lui, lets face it, one will have to go for their own benefit) and possibly have Payten retire to make up the cost of Blair.

Will we then have any space to make up a top squad of 25?

Borat.

Juniors
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ve-way-for-blair/story-e6frg7mf-1226068976573

So Wade and Payten will be off our cap next year - plus we have 100,000 cap rise...

Add Mark Flanagan and Geoff Daniella's $$ to that and we easily have Blair's Money - I still don't think he will be on the cap for $500k...we might be paying hm 500k but surely that will be the result of 3rd party contracts...

If Fulton and Gibbs go - Surely they will be replaced with some new blood- Hope Gibbs Stays though...

innsaneink

Referee
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ve-way-for-blair/story-e6frg7mf-1226068976573

So Wade and Payten will be off our cap next year - plus we have 100,000 cap rise...

Add Mark Flanagan and Geoff Daniella's $$ to that and we easily have Blair's Money - I still don't think he will be on the cap for $500k...we might be paying hm 500k but surely that will be the result of 3rd party contracts...

If Fulton and Gibbs go - Surely they will be replaced with some new blood- Hope Gibbs Stays though...
Going by your scenario we will still have three squad spots to fill.....but no money
Going by our injury history Im glad your no in charge of recruitment

Borat.

Juniors
Going by your scenario we will still have three squad spots to fill.....but no money
Going by our injury history Im glad your no in charge of recruitment

3 squad spots..... ??

Payto and Wade out Blair in ...= 1 squad spot ....

Last edited:

Latest posts