What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Moltzen ... (war is over)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
well i think some of you are putting blinkers on and not looking at the picture as a whole..
The smart thing to do from Doust would have been to get the paperwork in tact from the Tigers. but they havnt.. being a CEO i thought Crossing the Ts and dotting the Is would have been a priority.
Maybe you should have handled the paperwork.

I believe you missed the part where it is not unusual for players to agree to a new contract prior to the 'deed of release' being processed. Wests Tigers told Moltzen to look elsewhere, and he did. Wests Tigers then renegged on releasing him.
T-rexx said:
So as much as he thinks its the tigers looking bad, its not all hunky dory for Saints either
This is where we might be at odds. While you think both sides are to blame 50/50, I think 100% of the blame is squarely on the shoulders of Wests Tigers.

Your CEO is a backflip merchant. Very embarrassing for the League and in particular for Wests Tigers.

ghostface

Juniors
well i think some of you are putting blinkers on and not looking at the picture as a whole..

No blinkers on here... It's the Tigers management who have proven themselves to be pathetic. Try to spin it anyway you want it's the tigers who are not honouring their end of the deal...thats the picture as a whole

Mr Red

First Grade
WTF is the go with Moltzen not returning phone calls? How f*cking childish is he!? Well done Timmayyy, that's REAL professional! Imagine if we dealt with our employers like that!!

I love how some of these guys in the NRL try to demand more and more dollars, yet display ZERO professionalism off the field.

I hope his contract with us becomes registered, then Steve Price banishes him to park football.

What a f*cking wanker!

well said...
please explain to grouch the concept of fans not liking players that disrespect us, the club and the Red V...

Mr Red

First Grade
Moltzen legally agreed to play for the Dragons. His desire to play for the Dragons isn't the issue here.

i would also have desire to play for another club AFTER my current club told me i was no longer wanted...:roll:
the desire to play for another club only eventuated after he was told he needed to look elsewhere.. he didnt actively seek out a release to play for us because he had a greater desire to...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy about the way our club is being treated but...

You can't compare Moltzen not returning calls from the Dragons to any employee not returning a call from their boss.

Given the circumstances, why would he want to get embroiled personally when he has a manager to deal with all that stuff?

He's a footballer living in an age where the media in all its forms pounce on the slightest shred of a story and expand it into a two-page spread (with accompanying reader polls and blogs).

I think he's acting sensibly by leaving it to his manager, the CEOs and possibly the NRL to sort out.

big pat

Coach
the problem is a lot of nrl players, have a huge gap between their ears, and need the advice of others, i'm sure some guys still ring their mum before doing anything, and moltzen was told to look elsewhere which he did, then gets told no we don't want to release you, so what is the poor guy suppose to do, the more it gets dragged out the poorer all parties look.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I only saw it mentioned on the news this morning.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was the Dragons that asked the NRL to step in, because as far as I can tell, the Dragons, nor Moltzen and his Manager have done anything wrong.
Well it's in Doust's media release that he has asked the NRL to step in.

It's also in the mainstream news now.

eg: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-13/nrl-to-sort-out-moltzen-dispute/3569042

I couldn't find any news item that says Humphreys has asked for NRL intervention.

andrew9148

Juniors
i would also have desire to play for another club AFTER my current club told me i was no longer wanted...:roll:
the desire to play for another club only eventuated after he was told he needed to look elsewhere.. he didnt actively seek out a release to play for us because he had a greater desire to...

If he wanted to play for the dragons there would be no dispute. It's obvious that at least at this stage he does not want to go. He would be included in the st George media releases saying that the tigers are unfair in not releasing him.

rainman44

Bench
Its not about whats fair or whats not fair its about the the tigers stuffing saints around,i dont care what tim or the tigers want now as its too late to replace him.At the end of the day we have bought a good footballer with some footy brains along with cam king and kyle stanley,i expect saints to have a top year.So mr sheen can f**k off and deal with what he f**ked up with 3 months ago.

WTF is the go with Moltzen not returning phone calls? How f*cking childish is he!? Well done Timmayyy, that's REAL professional! Imagine if we dealt with our employers like that!!

I love how some of these guys in the NRL try to demand more and more dollars, yet display ZERO professionalism off the field.

I hope his contract with us becomes registered, then Steve Price banishes him to park football.

What a f*cking wanker!

My theory is either Humphries or Tauber is in his ear telling him to lay low throughout this, so he doesn't make him the bad guy, which is frustrating. If he just came out and said "I want to go to the Dragons" or "I want to stay with the Tigers" it would pretty much put and end to it all (if he wants to go I'd say we'd let him and vice versa), although he'd probably cop it big time from the other fans.

Although on your last line, a mate had an encounter with him a few years back and would agree 100% with you on it.

The whole saga is getting ridiculous though, one day it looks certain he'll be staying, 24 hours later he's going, then it's a stale mate. The only good to come out of it is it adds a lot to future Tigers vs Dragons game.

Mr Red

First Grade
If he wanted to play for the dragons there would be no dispute. It's obvious that at least at this stage he does not want to go. He would be included in the st George media releases saying that the tigers are unfair in not releasing him.

its become obvious that we need to sweeten the deal - lets offer his dad a coaching gig for 200k a season, and perhaps get his sister selling hot dogs at half time for another 200k a season...

juanfarkall

Coach
Maybe he could open a resturant and have the team eat there each week then send the bill to the club.
Works for some.

Father Ted

First Grade
Schubert to referee tug-of-war over Moltzen as clubs stand firm

Glenn Jackson

October 14, 2011

SALARY cap auditor Ian Schubert will become the key player in the stand-off over the contract of Wests Tigers fullback Tim Moltzen.
NRL officials confirmed yesterday that the administration was now investigating the duel between the Tigers and St George Illawarra, who had signed the 23-year-old to a three-year deal starting next year only for the Tigers to refuse to release him.
Both clubs refuse to budge over the issue, and Schubert will now become the referee. He is likely to speak with Dragons and Tigers officials, Moltzen and his manager, Martin Tauber, in order to make a determination.
Advertisement: Story continues below
The development comes after Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said on Wednesday he had urged the NRL to intervene over the saga.
But Schubert's decision might not be the end of the battle between the clubs, which has been bubbling since July, but exploded last week.
Should either club be dissatisfied with the chief auditor's recommendation, they could take their case to the NRL's appeals committee.
Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys was adamant yesterday that the Tigers were not prepared to release Moltzen, who is contracted to the club until the end of next season.
''St George Illawarra have expressed their view on specific events in relation to Tim Moltzen, and a broader view of the way these things generally get done,'' he said. ''We at Wests Tigers have a very different view of both items. We'll continue to work in good faith with all parties, including the NRL, to resolve it as quickly as possible.''
Doust said on Wednesday that the Dragons had been led to believe, throughout the process, that Moltzen would be given a release, and even during discussions this week with Humphreys.
''Admittedly, if we did have the signed release from the Wests Tigers then we would not be in this situation,'' Doust said. ''However, we strongly believe this matter should be judged on the principles of intent and actions arising in good faith.''
It is understood the Tigers will argue that while Dragons officials negotiated with Tauber and spoke with Moltzen himself during the process, at no stage did they attempt to clarify the terms of the release with the Tigers.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/schubert-to-referee-tugofwar-over-moltzen-as-clubs-stand-firm-20111013-1ln6h.html

getsmarty

Immortal
This is getting beyond a joke now...Don't want him @ the mighty Red V... but all the same... sue the pants off them....

Bang

Juniors
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dragons win this matter simply for the principle of the matter and then grant Moltzen a verbal release.

Breathingfire

Juniors
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dragons win this matter simply for the principle of the matter and then grant Moltzen a verbal release.

I would. We need him next year and Doust and Price know it. We are a better chance of winning with him in the side so I hope he comes. He will perform even if he doesn't want to be there initially, because his future as a rugby league player depends on it. At 23 i'm sure he has goals and obviously he wouldn't want to be banished to park football ala Cuthbertson and the next contract he signs will be for significantly less money if he can't establish himself as a quality player in the next 3 years.

I also have to give Doust a thumbs up for the statement he posted on the Dragons official website. Keeping the fans informed rather than sweeping things under the rug and dealing with everything in house is good practice IMO.

Last edited: