What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Sheens relieved of coaching duties

yobbo84

Coach
To be fair to the Tigers, it's the exact same scenario as we've just seen at Souths in that we announced in the 2020 pre-season that Wayne Bennett would leave after 2021 and Jason Demetriou would take over. So, two years in advance, same as the Tigers.

The main difference being that JD had plenty of experience coaching prior to this (winning NSW and QLD cups, assistant for Cowboys 2015 premiership, etc).

Lots of pressure on Benji. Good thing he's basically impossible to dislike so he'll have that in his favour!

nick87

Coach
To be fair to the Tigers, it's the exact same scenario as we've just seen at Souths in that we announced in the 2020 pre-season that Wayne Bennett would leave after 2021 and Jason Demetriou would take over. So, two years in advance, same as the Tigers.

The main difference being that JD had plenty of experience coaching prior to this (winning NSW and QLD cups, assistant for Cowboys 2015 premiership, etc).

Lots of pressure on Benji. Good thing he's basically impossible to dislike so he'll have that in his favour!
The main similarity is that neither move will actually be successful
JD sucks based on what i've seen this year.

yobbo84

Coach
The main similarity is that neither move will actually be successful
JD sucks based on what i've seen this year.
Given our gains and losses over the off-season combined with losing Latrell for 10 weeks I think he's going OK. Next 8 weeks the proof will be in the pudding though.

I've heard enough from Benji over the past 24 months to think he'll make a good head coach one day. Probably about 5 years too early for the Tigers IMO but we'll see.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
This could work out ....

On the other hand....and I'm not exaggerating here.....this could end up being the single greatest car wreck the NRL has ever seen.

BadnMean

Juniors
This could work out ....

On the other hand....and I'm not exaggerating here.....this could end up being the single greatest car wreck the NRL has ever seen.

LinearCheerfulIberianemeraldlizard-mobile.mp4
LinearCheerfulIberianemeraldlizard.webp

skeepe

Immortal
haha yeah i feel that
the Raiders have the same issue... we've got a hardcore % of the fan base who knows Ricky sucks... and large part of casuals who see what he does in the community, see the name value, see him bitching about officiating, and deflecting and say "yeah! Ricky's awesome. He stands up for us. We love him. Remember 1994!?"

Tut101 on how Bad clubs stay being Bad
The big problem is that we know how this ends.

Ricky eventually goes - at a time of his choosing, with a clean out required - and then the search for the new coach begins, with the most important qualification being that they’ve played for the Raiders, bonus points if they’re a close personal friend of a board member’s family.

When the time comes, be it soon or a few years down the road, we’ll be just as big a laughing stock as the Tigers are now. I really hope I’m wrong.

Ricky eventually goes - at a time of his choosing, with a clean out required - and then the search for the new coach begins, with the most important qualification being that they’ve played for the Raiders, bonus points if they’re a close personal friend of a board member’s family.

When the time comes, be it soon or a few years down the road, we’ll be just as big a laughing stock as the Tigers are now. I really hope I’m wrong.
If Sticky leaves in ahead of season 2025 I hear Sheens will be available. He ticks all your boxes.

Billythekid

First Grade
Can we do a quick straw poll here

does anyone.... ANYONE... does a single soul on this forum think this will be anything above a complete and utter, unmittigated disaster?
Im really curious to see if anyone thinks this will work out

(Tigers fans excluded, because fan bias can pretty much convince fans to believe in anything)
To be honest I rated Sheens back in the day and think he was better for the tigers than he is often given credit for. However he's in his 70s hasn't coached NRL in like a decade and I just don't see how this could possibly be the right option.

Ultimately though I think the tiger are in such a shit spot and are run so poorly i'm not sure any coach could turn them around in the short term. The whole club needs a clean out.

nick87

Coach

Next Raiders HC (in about 2028 when Stuart finally decides he's had enough) will be Brett White, Sam Williams or Simon Woolford
I've never been more sure of anything in my life

The annoying part of it is, this nepotism SHOULD have worked out for us. We should have had Craig Bellemy as coach, except for Matt Elliott's infamous power point presentation!

(For those who don't know, back in 2001, when the Raiders needed to replace Mal Meninga as HC, they had interviewed Craig Bellemy and basically decided he was their man, but they'd already lined up an interview with Matt Elliott and thought it would be rude to cancel, so they let him interview anyways. He apparently blew them away with a PowerPoint presentation about his plan and they hired him instead, I would pay HUNDREDS of dollars to see that PowerPoint presentation. I almost feel like i need it for closure before i die.)

f**king Canberra. I hate them

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Next Raiders HC (in about 2028 when Stuart finally decides he's had enough) will be Brett White, Sam Williams or Simon Woolford

The annoying part of it is, this nepotism SHOULD have worked out for us. We should have had Craig Bellemy as coach, except for Matt Elliott's infamous power point presentation!

(For those who don't know, back in 2001, when the Raiders needed to replace Mal Meninga as HC, they had interviewed Craig Bellemy and basically decided he was their man, but they'd already lined up an interview with Matt Elliott and thought it would be rude to cancel, so they let him interview anyways. He apparently blew them away with a PowerPoint presentation about his plan and they hired him instead, I would pay HUNDREDS of dollars to see that PowerPoint presentation. I almost feel like i need it for closure before i die.)

The Warriors were also blown away by Elliott's presentation in 2012 when he wasn't even on the radar previously.

yobbo84

Coach

If you're right then it stands to reason Michael Maguire will take over next. Back to where it all started...

I wonder if Ricky got the current gig by an amazing presentation on an overhead projector? You know, full circle and all.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Smartest Board decision ever. They are now Teflon.

For the next 5 years they are golden, anything that goes wrong they can blame Sheens for, as he was hired to fix it and this is his recommendation.