What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Sheens relieved of coaching duties

aqua_duck

Coach
Sheens used to be an excellent coach

success at Penrith, rebuilt Canberra after the salary cap, pass mark at the cowboys and a comp at the tigers

he used to be so good at finding and blooding good juniors
I’m sorry but how rebuild Canberra? I guess if you consider going from a kangaroos quality roster to merely a state of origin quality roster a ‘rebuild’ then yeah you can say he rebuilt Canberra, mind you it’s not that hard to rebuild a team with the likes of Meninga, Daley, Stuart, Clyde, Mullens, Walters, etc on the roster

Wb1234

Referee
I’m sorry but how rebuild Canberra? I guess if you consider going from a kangaroos quality roster to merely a state of origin quality roster a ‘rebuild’ then yeah you can say he rebuilt Canberra, mind you it’s not that hard to rebuild a team with the likes of Meninga, Daley, Stuart, Clyde, Mullens, Walters, etc on the roster
The fallout from the salary cap imbroglio saw several players leave the club, most prominently Glenn Lazarus, Brent Todd, David Barnhill, Nigel Gaffey and Paul Martin. An average performance resulted, with the Raiders missing the finals for the first time since 1986.

The fallout from the salary cap imbroglio saw several players leave the club, most prominently Glenn Lazarus, Brent Todd, David Barnhill, Nigel Gaffey and Paul Martin. An average performance resulted, with the Raiders missing the finals for the first time since 1986.

Yep. They went from finishing 4th in the 1991 regular season to 12th in 1992. They went from a front row of Glenn Lazarus, Brent Todd with Steve Walters at hooker in 1991, to a combination of Paul Osborne, Darren Fritz, Brett Hetherington in the front row with Steve Walters at hooker in 1992.

Add in also losing Mark Bell (centre) and it meant it deeply effected the Raiders squad depth in 1992. Going from having an all international front row in 1991 to what they had in 1992 hurt them badly.

1993 saw the Raiders sign John Lomax, Quentin Pongia, Sean Hoppe, Noa Nadruku, Ken Nagas and Ruben Wiki which is what helped propel them back into the finals, finishing 3rd in the regular season, even though they bowed out in straight sets after Ricky Stuart broke his leg in the second last round of the regular season when they thrashed Parramatta 68-0.

Wb1234

Referee
Yep. They went from finishing 4th in the 1991 regular season to 12th in 1992. They went from a front row of Glenn Lazarus, Brent Todd with Steve Walters at hooker in 1991, to a combination of Paul Osborne, Darren Fritz, Brett Hetherington in the front row with Steve Walters at hooker in 1992.

Add in also losing Mark Bell (centre) and it meant it deeply effected the Raiders squad depth in 1992. Going from having an all international front row in 1991 to what they had in 1992 hurt them badly.

1993 saw the Raiders sign John Lomax, Quentin Pongia, Sean Hoppe, Noa Nadruku, Ken Nagas and Ruben Wiki which is what helped propel them back into the finals, finishing 3rd in the regular season, even though they bowed out in straight sets after Ricky Stuart broke his leg in the second last round of the regular season when they thrashed Parramatta 68-0.
I remember 94 I was cheering for the raiders to beat the dogs

daley scored one of the great grand final solo tries

you’ve a better memory than me I had to use wiki

aqua_duck

Coach
As I said they went from a roster that would have rivalled some kangaroo teams to a roster that would rival some origin teams. Lazarus and to a lesser extent Todd were big loss no doubt but Martin, Gaffey and Barnhill were eventually replaced by superior players. I would argue no team with the likes of Belcher, Mullins, Meninga, Stuart, Clyde, and Walter should ever miss the finals

Wb1234

Referee
As I said they went from a roster that would have rivalled some kangaroo teams to a roster that would rival some origin teams. Lazarus and to a lesser extent Todd were big loss no doubt but Martin, Gaffey and Barnhill were eventually replaced by superior players. I would argue no team with the likes of Belcher, Mullins, Meninga, Stuart, Clyde, and Walter should ever miss the finals
From capt apollos posts they brought in or developed

John Lomax, Quentin Pongia, Sean Hoppe, Noa Nadruku, Ken Nagas and Ruben Wik

Thats a rebuild lol

sheens gets credit for that

Saxon

Bench
From capt apollos posts they brought in or developed

John Lomax, Quentin Pongia, Sean Hoppe, Noa Nadruku, Ken Nagas and Ruben Wik

Thats a rebuild lol

sheens gets credit for that
At best he gets partial credit. It's not like the board and recruitment team who built that great squad of the late 80's were bustled out the door in 91.

Wb1234

Referee
At best he gets partial credit. It's not like the board and recruitment team who built that great squad of the late 80's were bustled out the door in 91.
So got panthers to their first ever finals
Wins Canberra first ever title
Wins another title for Canberra after the salary cap crisis
Wins the tigers only comp

clearly he was a gun coach once but now isn’t

some11

Referee
sheenstim-coach-body-shot.png

Pierced Soul

First Grade
He was already past it when the tigpies kicked him out a decade ago. The other NRL showed no interest for obvious reasons. Why he was anointed the saviour to come back to the club as director is beyond me, and I couldn't stop laughing when they appointed him coach.

It's a weird romanticism - whoever appointed him just watches the 2005 GF on a loop. This is the same process for selecting Brooks and extending his contract except they have his debut game on loop

Diesel

Referee
What was the talk of Pascoe? In the dressing rooms on his phone not engaged. I thought you’re not allowed phones in the dressing rooms, but it could’ve been FT, also what’s the CEO doing disinterested in the changing room

Colk

First Grade

100%. I think Sheens is severely overrated coming from a Raiders fans perspective.

Colk

First Grade
So got panthers to their first ever finals
Wins Canberra first ever title
Wins another title for Canberra after the salary cap crisis
Wins the tigers only comp

I wouldn’t say gun coach. I would say good coach. Tigers was a massive achievement but otherwise he did have very good sides to work with. In saying that though the way the Tigers thing ended last time coupled with his age should have ruled him out from any more NRL coaching

He is completely past it now and I feel sorry for Tigers fans.

Munky

Coach
Since leaving Canberra Sheens has coached 357 NRL club games for 149 wins.

A whopping 42% win percentage.

He has a 33% win rate in the Super League.

After the 2005 premiership he coached 2 from 7 winning seasons.

Really has dined off past glory for a long long time.

John Lang was out of the NRL by 2011 with a similar coaching record since 95.