What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Moylan to 5/8

franklin2323

Immortal

If he is our back up half going forward. Get him to do what he does best and not what a half should. He could be a running half with the odd grubber kick and an offload guys like Peachey, Edwards and co run off. Still we need someone like a Daniel Mortimer type guy to organise if we lose a half for anymore then a week or 2

franklin2323

Immortal
A mid game injury to a half is the ONLY time Carty should play there

We moved our halfback to hooker. Released our hooker and 5/8th had our back up half in TMM injured. Had our round 1 FB out for the season. Another FB option in Hiku also out. Throw in Whare being out too. we pretty much were scrapping the barrell at the time. Hopefully we aren't in that situation again

mxlegend99

Referee
We moved our halfback to hooker. Released our hooker and 5/8th had our back up half in TMM injured. Had our round 1 FB out for the season. Another FB option in Hiku also out. Throw in Whare being out too. we pretty much were scrapping the barrell at the time. Hopefully we aren't in that situation again
We had the exact backline we have now available last year aside from Whare. And honestly Peachey is better anyway. Blame injuries all you want, we could have had a better backline last year as a result of those injuries.

We could have had Cartwright developing in his best position too. Not one of the players injured last year was the best option in those positions.

OldPanther

Coach
We had the exact backline we have now available last year aside from Whare. And honestly Peachey is better anyway. Blame injuries all you want, we could have had a better backline last year as a result of those injuries.

We could have had Cartwright developing in his best position too. Not one of the players injured last year was the best option in those positions.

Did we have the depth to move DWZ or was Edwards good for it last year though?

mxlegend99

Referee
Did we have the depth to move DWZ or was Edwards good for it last year though?
Can never know for certain if Edwards was ready for it. But he looked fine in his debut on the eing and it helps develop 3 players.

Cartwright gets to focus on being a second rower. He doesnt lose thr progress we had made

Moylan gets to settle into the halves. He practically played there anyway, but we lacked a genuine fullback

Edwards would be a year further slong in development. Even if we decided to ease him in via the wing.

Age means nothing. We have had plenty of teenagers come in do their jobs well. The only thing that matters is how they do their job.

OldPanther

Coach
Can never know for certain if Edwards was ready for it. But he looked fine in his debut on the eing and it helps develop 3 players.

Cartwright gets to focus on being a second rower. He doesnt lose thr progress we had made

Moylan gets to settle into the halves. He practically played there anyway, but we lacked a genuine fullback

Edwards would be a year further slong in development. Even if we decided to ease him in via the wing.

Age means nothing. We have had plenty of teenagers come in do their jobs well. The only thing that matters is how they do their job.

That's fair. I can see how the positives outweigh the negatives.

mxlegend99

Referee
That's fair. I can see how the positives outweigh the negatives.
Its more than a year late. But we got there eventually.

Just sucks Carty isnt out there adding an extra dimension to our attack. I truly believe Edwards will go to another level when Carty is back and offloading.

franklin2323

Immortal

If Edwards was so good last year why was he not in NSW Cup to finish the year? He may of got a start or we risk Hardaker if we were struggling. You can't argue with the way we finished the year.

mxlegend99

Referee
If Edwards was so good last year why was he not in NSW Cup to finish the year? He may of got a start or we risk Hardaker if we were struggling. You can't argue with the way we finished the year.
Winning a few games doesn't mean the team was perfect or couldn't be stronger. Individual form says things could have been better

Cartwright made 11 errors in the last 4 games of the season and only created 1 try. Maybe if he were playing in his natural position and we had a genuine fullback we could have made it beyond week 2 of finals. He was holding our attack back at 6 and the 6 was holding him back.

Either way we would be better prepared for this season even if it didnt improve us last season. We are a year behind on development of a few players. We should have an extra 20+ games and an offseason with this spine. None of thoe excuses used are a good reason for holding back several players development.

franklin2323

Immortal
Winning a few games doesn't mean the team was perfect or couldn't be stronger. Individual form says things could have been better

Cartwright made 11 errors in the last 4 games of the season and only created 1 try. Maybe if he were playing in his natural position and we had a genuine fullback we could have made it beyond week 2 of finals. He was holding our attack back at 6 and the 6 was holding him back.

Either way we would be better prepared for this season even if it didnt improve us last season. We are a year behind on development of a few players. We should have an extra 20+ games and an offseason with this spine. None of thoe excuses used are a good reason for holding back several players development.

You compare it too this year. Lets say we lose Whare. Peachey would go centre. If Moylan or Cleary went down. Who would be next in?

No one in NSW cup is exactly on fire. That is pretty much how it was last year it took a lot of pieces to fall to put Cartwright as 5/8th. Hopefully we fix our depth so he isn't backup half for next year.

Pomoz

Bench
Playing Edwards last year would have been a huge risk to his career. I met Freddie Fittler when he was 16. He was already built like brick outhouse. He could cope with the step up. Edwards was not physically big enough to cope with the weekly grind. At best he could have played a few games. I still remember when Robert Jennings got folded in half in a tackle and his hamstring tore as a result. He just wasn't strong enough. There was no way that injury would have happened to DWZ or Mansour, they are much stronger.

The extra off season and physical maturity stands Edwards in a much better position for this year.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Playing Edwards last year would have been a huge risk to his career. I met Freddie Fittler when he was 16. He was already built like brick outhouse. He could cope with the step up. Edwards was not physically big enough to cope with the weekly grind. At best he could have played a few games. I still remember when Robert Jennings got folded in half in a tackle and his hamstring tore as a result. He just wasn't strong enough. There was no way that injury would have happened to DWZ or Mansour, they are much stronger.

The extra off season and physical maturity stands Edwards in a much better position for this year.

If we were struggling we would of put the young guys up It is what struggling teams do. Whether Bryce played well or not isn't the point as a team they won. It is like if Moylan and Mansour make SOO 3. we will have a makeshift 5/8th their performance doesn't matter. It is how the team goes

mxlegend99

Referee
I hope we are ignored completely for Origin 3.

Why should our team be weakened when we were ignored completely for the games it wouldn't affect us.

Moylan would have been better than Pearce last night. But literally any half in the competition could match or beat him.

maple_69

Bench
I doubt they change the side given they've proven they can outplay QLD and only lost on going into their shell. I would be stoked if Moylan and Mansour got a run though. They elevated their games significantly off the back of the confidence from playing Origin last year. We would miss them for a game but a red hot Moylan and Mansour would really take our chances up a notch at the back end.

Kilkenny

Coach
I doubt they change the side given they've proven they can outplay QLD and only lost on going into their shell. I would be stoked if Moylan and Mansour got a run though. They elevated their games significantly off the back of the confidence from playing Origin last year. We would miss them for a game but a red hot Moylan and Mansour would really take our chances up a notch at the back end.

Laurie Daley won't make any changes to his side for SOO 3 unless someone from the current side is injured. Despite last nights very disappointing result, when clearly the Blues should have sealed the deal, I wouldn't make any changes either if I was coach. The current squad of 17 deserved the opportunity to get the job done.

Latest posts