What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Moylan to 5/8

Doomednow

Bench
To quote you elsewhere:

I wish we could just get an explanation of why we haven't tried Moylan in the 6. Straight from the coach's mouth with honesty. Just help us to understand.

Because without that it sure looks like he's just pig-headed and incompetent.

Isn't that what he just did yet still not good enough

Because it's a rubbish excuse made up after the fact? How is an ankle injury less of a liability at fullback?

mxlegend99

Referee
Tbf Griffin might not deserve it but media blowing sunshine up his arse for moving Moylan to 6 makes it less likely he'll put Bryce straight back in out of pride. So yeah I can hack it.
It was a master stroke.... no one had ever thought if it before Griffin pulled one from left field.

If anything, Laurie Daley deserves that praise before him. Taking the risk in Origin... and then winning. Much braver then the club coach being forced to do something he was against almost as much as franklin.

OldPanther

Coach
It was a master stroke.... no one had ever thought if it before Griffin pulled one from left field.

If anything, Laurie Daley deserves that praise before him. Taking the risk in Origin... and then winning. Much braver then the club coach being forced to do something he was against almost as much as franklin.

I am starting to think he's a contrarian for the sake of it based on my last interaction with him in the signings thread.

Pomoz

Bench
Re Cartwright as a back up, it is a great position to be in. It means if he is in the team as a lock we don't need to carry a back on the bench. Yeo and CH can cover the centres and wing at a pinch, Carty the halves, Peachey can cover the backrow. Its a very versatile, mobile pack of forwards.

If he gets back to being lock, it gives us options to spread the ball wide very quickly with him at first receiver. He has a great long cutout pass that can be used to get the ball out to Moysa or Cleary.

The Raiders of the 90's used to use Daley and Stewart to do something similar. They covered the whole field with two spiral passes that had speed and power. Not a big arced, floaty "lob" like a lot of players use, that gives the defence time for an intercept and to adjust in defence. Instead of Meninga waiting in the centres when the ball arrives by spiral delivery, we have Blake and CH or Yeo. Tantalising thought.

chrisD

Coach
Because it's a rubbish excuse made up after the fact? How is an ankle injury less of a liability at fullback?
Cartwright's ankle was still stuffed (I say this by having just watched him, not any inside information) when he brought him back and played him at 6. Kinda funny. Well not, because I'd like to be sure favouring the not f**ked ankle leg didn't contribute to Cartwright's current knee injury.

mxlegend99

Referee
Re Cartwright as a back up, it is a great position to be in. It means if he is in the team as a lock we don't need to carry a back on the bench. Yeo and CH can cover the centres and wing at a pinch, Carty the halves, Peachey can cover the backrow. Its a very versatile, mobile pack of forwards.

If he gets back to being lock, it gives us options to spread the ball wide very quickly with him at first receiver. He has a great long cutout pass that can be used to get the ball out to Moysa or Cleary.

The Raiders of the 90's used to use Daley and Stewart to do something similar. They covered the whole field with two spiral passes that had speed and power. Not a big arced, floaty "lob" like a lot of players use, that gives the defence time for an intercept and to adjust in defence. Instead of Meninga waiting in the centres when the ball arrives by spiral delivery, we have Blake and CH or Yeo. Tantalising thought.
His opposition centre/wingers love his long pass.

mxlegend99

Referee
It's funny how the long passes coincide with him playing clearly injured I don't remember this happening last season
Injured legs cause you to throw intercepts do they?

And he was equal second for errors made last year. 33 errors beaten only by Wighton with 41 errors.

He was capable of a good game on occassion at 6. But he always tried to force plays and snd they regularly failed.

OldPanther

Coach

And he was equal second for errors made last year. 33 errors beaten only by Wighton with 41 errors.

He was capable of a good game on occassion at 6. But he always tried to force plays and snd they regularly failed.

It would be a big difference with 2 genuine halves and Carty just picking his rare moments to do something.

Pomoz

Bench

What a load of crap. Mansour had 22 errors on the wing and wasn't doing any playmaking. Milford 32 errors, Tom Trbojevic 33 errors, Morgan 29 errors. Playmakers make errors, it goes with the territory. Why do you ignore the tries, assists, line break assists? Did he sleep with your missus or something?

What a load of crap. Mansour had 22 errors on the wing and wasn't doing any playmaking. Milford 32 errors, Tom Trbojevic 33 errors, Morgan 29 errors. Playmakers make errors, it goes with the territory. Why do you ignore the tries, assists, line break assists? Did he sleep with your missus or something?
Tommy Turbo is the most overrated player in the game that the moment

bebo

Juniors

They stop you running which was a big part of his game so improvision takes over I guess ,he as I said looked like he was playing on one leg and hardly ran the ball at all ,he suffered more by being put at 6 than anyone else I refuse to bag the kid for mistakes he made whilst being injured and playing in a position he should not have been in

mxlegend99

Referee
Ao because I think a player who has a shitload more bad games then good when he tries playmaking isnt suited to 6... it has to be for some pther reason?

I like Cartwright and hes in my top 17 for sure. Just not at half.

only ond player in the competition had a worse error rate. Cartwright makes errors brcause he has no concept of when the time is right to take arisk. At 6 he always tries to make something happen. Which means he oftrn does. But even more often he costs us. He isnt a playmaker.

Yes he has the sbility to do special things. But he doesnt have the brains to know when it is on. Hes a second rower/lock with agreat skillset. He's not a half.

It's like we're trying to do the opposite of what Sharks did with Wade Graham.

He's a great ball runner. He has sgreat offload and he can play to support players. That should be his order of priority. Ball running makes his other skills more dangerous because he attracts a lot of defenders and can still pop an offload away. Which gives us second phase against a broken defensive line. Imagine how good Dylan Edwards will be running off those offloads. We finally have a fullbackthat supports our ball runners and has the speed, strength and footwork to punish teams.

This spine will make Carty more dangerous. As will alloeing him to focus on being a second rower

mxlegend99

Referee
They stop you running which was a big part of his game so improvision takes over I guess ,he as I said looked like he was playing on one leg and hardly ran the ball at all ,he suffered more by being put at 6 than anyone else I refuse to bag the kid for mistakes he made whilst being injured and playing in a position he should not have been in
But he played exactly as he did last year. Thats my point.

His leg injury had nothing to do with his inability to know when a play is on and when he needs to take the safe option.

Everyone including opposition defences could see when he was going for those plays.

A half needs more than just skills. He needs to be able to manage a game and know when its an acceptable time to go for the risky play.

Carty cant help but gamble when he is at 6. He cant handle the responsibility like Moylan can.