What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to fight AFL (60 Minutes)

And btw, those above saying how sh*t AFL is.. If it was sh*t it wouldn't be a success anywhere other than Victoria. I think some of you are feeling threatened therefore come out swinging with all the attacks.

Hand over a mancard you shirtlifter.

You really have no idea what you're on about. It isn't a success anywhere but in its heartlands.

They're the one's declaring war, and they'll get one with or without that chinless wimp Gallop.

Once Dead

Bench
Enough of this "war" rubbish. Save that kind of speak for real war.

On the report it was biased to the AFL in a way, but it only reflects the situation imo. I still think the AFL is deluded in thinking a 2nd AFL team in Sydney would work. There's no doubt the AFL is becoming popular in Sydney but there is a long way to go before a second team is sustainable.

Can't we all just get along? I love the AFL and the NRL. Surely both can co-exist.

No......you declare "war" and dare to occupy enemy territory then prepare to deal with war.....REAL war

camsmith

Juniors
f**k AFL.

when the swans and the lions have financial troubles again, ill be hoping they go broke.

the AFL thinks their sport has become successful in queensland and nsw because of the spectacle.

prior to the SL war it was a joke and is quickly going back that way.

100,000 in either brisbane or sydney to watch the local AFL team is a joke.

Nice chap you are.

No doubt the success of the Lions and Swans on-field has helped them gain good support as did the SL war and the benefits they get from the AFL. But you can't deny how well they're going off the field these days (whatever caused it).

Sure the AFL TV audience is low, but attendances and membership is much more important than TV audiences at the moment.

haha so much hate around here. Says everything that needs to be said..

All this AFL will pinch kids stuff is a f**king wank
Do you think Hayne, Inu, Falou etc have AFL in their blood like they do the League Union
Could Mark O'Meley ever play AFL
Could Mitchell pearce or Matt Head or Benji Marshall
It's AFL wanking off
All they'll ever attract are blokes from missions in Darwin, the odd werris from footscray and a whole heap of stupid road tarring exiled micks who like wearing singlets in a sh*thole like melbourne when it's 4 degrees

It's a turd of a game played by cheap shot turds in a turd of a city like melbourne.

The only other nation dumb enough to have a game similar is ireland and that speaks volumes

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I used to have nothing against AFL - as a sport I have no problem that it exists it doesn't float my boat, that is all. I guess my real grudge lies in the administration of the game and their incredibly agressive, at times arrogant and business orientated attitude to expansion. They claim they want to co-exist - but what does that really mean? To me it means they want to eat the pie and leave some crumbs for the rest.

As for the fans - dickhead and arrogant fans exist in both codes. It is a natural response to a threat to come out swinging.

Once Dead

Bench
I love how the parents say "It's a game geared towards families.".......Wait until their kids experience players elbowing blindsided players, shirt grabbing wrestling, kicking others in the back, punching the crap out of others, etc......I mean, you see that every week on tv.....unfortunately, AFL isn't newsworthy and it doesn't make the papers.......a real FAMILY game.......

Who cares if Kieran Jack plays AFL.......whoopdeefreakin' do...........the funny thing is, Garry Jack was a supportive father who encouraged his son in pursuing whatever career he wanted.......can you imagine a brainwashed AFL star allowing that?

And btw, those above saying how sh*t AFL is.. If it was sh*t it wouldn't be a success anywhere other than Victoria. I think some of you are feeling threatened therefore come out swinging with all the attacks.

Brisbane bears broke prior to SL, move to brisbane and poor crowds.

sydney swans almost broke and crowds of 5000 or so

AFL got lucky with SL and still cant crack RL markets properly

camsmith

Juniors
i can't wait for them to waste a c*ntload of $$$$$$$ on the GC and WS, all for no fruition. They are too late with the GC and WS will not embrace the $hit code.

In all honesty, it was a tripe segment. Mark Geyer was interviewed for f$%ks sake, enough said.

I agree its silly of the AFL to look at GC and WS so soon. And like you I just think it'll waste sh*tloads of money for nothing.

And also, if only RL had more blokes like MG doing everything he can for the good of the code.

I love how the parents say "It's a game geared towards families.".......Wait until their kids experience players elbowing blindsided players, shirt grabbing wrestling, kicking others in the back, punching the crap out of others, etc......I mean, you see that every week on tv.....unfortunately, AFL isn't newsworthy and it doesn't make the papers.......a real FAMILY game.......

Who cares if Kieran Jack plays AFL.......whoopdeefreakin' do...........the funny thing is, Garry Jack was a supportive father who encouraged his son in pursuing whatever career he wanted.......can you imagine a brainwashed AFL star allowing that?

jack also said his son was too small to play RL and hence he encouraged him to AFL.

ucantseeme

Juniors
No doubt in my mind that was a paid advertisement for the AFL. For those who missed it the main bits were:

- Garry Jack's son choosing to play AFL (no mention of his other sons that play RL)
- the over the top gushings of a mum whose kid plays for the Maroubra Saints junior AFL team who are allegedly the fastest growing sports team in OZ
- Mark Geyer putting the boot into RL saying AFL are taking over and that RL is struggling
- how a sub 30k crowd at the SCG for the Swans guarantees a 2nd or 3rd Sydney AFL team will be a huge success
- (the most shameless part) they drag some alleged AFL legend to a Melbourne Storm game who proceeds to say RL is boring and full of gorillas, followed by a shot of Israel Folau taking a hit up.
- AFL CEO looking being his smug self. David Gallop has one sentence in the whole ad.

gregstar

Referee
If you want to leave a comment in Peter Harvey's mailbag here is the link.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/feedback.aspx?sectionid=5562&sectionname=contactus&formid=2363

60 Minutes Mailbag
Have you got a comment about this week's program? You can e-mail us here.

Name*
gregstar
Telephone Number
1800 sniffbits
Email Address*
bigwanger.cum.onyu

Subject*AFL
Your Message*you fudge-packer!

Attach a picture here (if relevant)

1301178119_aee77a3dba.jpg

Nice chap you are.

No doubt the success of the Lions and Swans on-field has helped them gain good support as did the SL war and the benefits they get from the AFL. But you can't deny how well they're going off the field these days (whatever caused it).

Sure the AFL TV audience is low, but attendances and membership is much more important than TV audiences at the moment.

What good support you leprosotic fart-stain?

34k per fortnight and sub 100k ratings = success in a city of 5 million people?

Do you know what AFL games rate in Sydney and Brisbane with or without the local side?

They've both been financially looked after by the AFL since the day they were forcibly moved from Melbourne. Even to the point of cheating the other teams in the AFL. The AFL have paid for positive content in the past and there's no reason to believe the one on 60 minutes is any different.

Nice chap you are.

the swans and the lions bought their competition with a differential salary cap in their favour.

its not cheating but not far off it.
attendances and memberships at the clubs are all falling so i hope it keeps heading in the right direction

Raider_69

Post Whore
I urge the AFL to put teams in WS and GC
just a week or so ago the AFL hosted a game on the gold coast, they sold 2000 tickets, and gave away a further 8000 tickets, the offical crowd was a tick over 8k, the gold coast is a black hole for aussie rules, the more money they piss away there the better for our code

and an invasion into western sydney would be an even bigger finacial black hole

infact i hope and prey every day the AFL are stupid enough to fully committ to these endevours, swans crowd's and corperate sponsorship is down by double figure percentages, this is by their own admissions, startling admissions made by the club to the AFL, and the more money this code sinks into these black holes, the more they will neglect their heartlands on the West Coast, an area the NRL can look at captialising on. The storm will only continue to grow down in Victoria. Especially when the AFL continually tries to entice clubs to move to these black holes like WS and thew GC... The storm should wait until the kangaroo's relocate and target their disillusioned fan base.

AFL is as big now as it can get, thats the situation for them, the NRL can only go on to bigger and better things... and union, well that code is on its knee's in this country.

In concludsion i am not at all worried about this invasion, infact i find it hilarious that the AFL are so illy advised that they can think this is a good way to spend money... fools

What good support you leprosotic fart-stain?

34k per fortnight and sub 100k ratings = success in a city of 5 million people?

Do you know what AFL games rate in Sydney and Brisbane with or without the local side?

They've both been financially looked after by the AFL since the day they were forcibly moved from Melbourne. Even to the point of cheating the other teams in the AFL the AFL have paid for positive content in the past and there's no reason to believe the one on 60 minutes is any different.

:lol:

well said as usual EA.

camsmith

Juniors
Sorry Champ! no pollitical correctness on this Forum!!!

This is war and AFL is the enemy. If you like both sports that's fine, but I am sick to death of the AFL blowing their horn and trying to death ride RL at every corner. League hits a little bit of trouble and the AFL thing pops up again and its all doom and gloom for league. What a load of rubbish! If I was the AFL I would be more worried about the Lions who seem to be losing members and supporters another League team up there would be another uppercut to the AFL Global expansion plan :lol:

You do realise the NRL have Melbourne Storm. Any sport would want to be the most successful it can be. If that means creating teams in non AFL/NRL cities then so be it. If the product is good enough then it will succeed.

All you guys going on about "war" are being drama queens. Leave those kind of words for real war. It is simply two "businesses" trying to do their best for their product. Right now the AFL is on top which is why there's all the crying on here.