What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to fight AFL (60 Minutes)

Nuke

Staff member
I just saw that 60 Minutes 'story'. What an arrogant, biased crock of sh*t. And that 'story' is just that, a story. An aussies rules fantasy. Clearly that aussie rules knob who went to the Storm game is a product of that 'scientific' and 'intelligent' code - he counted 12 'gorillas' playing against another 12 'gorillas' ... there is 13 players per team, arsehole. I can only assume he counted to 10 using his fingers, but struggled beyond that. And before anyone defending him can say 'maybe there was a player per team in the sin-bin', I can assure you there wasn't. That was the Storm vs. Knights game from only 2 weeks ago.

Ch9 and aussie rules can go f**k themselves ... and I'm sure they will do so happily.

I feel I should state here that I used to like aussie rules when I was a kid, then out-grew it and got bored of it in the mid-90's. I didn't actually hate it for another few years when all their arrogant attitude and people became apparent to me. Now I detest it with an absolute passion.

Father Jack

Juniors
If anything the story was just what the NRL needed. Everything we hear from the Titans up here seems to be the same sort of scaremongering that we got on 60mins tonight, for the same reason, I'd say. If that wasn't a call to arms I don't know what is. We are not that delusional that we think that Aussie Rules is going to rule Sydney or the Gold Coast any time soon, but the code must grow and the fastest growing areas in Australia seems to be the logical place to do it.

Cheezel

Juniors
I just saw that 60 Minutes 'story'. What an arrogant, biased crock of sh*t. And that 'story' is just that, a story. An aussies rules fantasy. Clearly that aussie rules knob who went to the Storm game is a product of that 'scientific' and 'intelligent' code - he counted 12 'gorillas' playing against another 12 'gorillas' ... there is 13 players per team, arsehole. I can only assume he counted to 10 using his fingers, but struggled beyond that. And before anyone defending him can say 'maybe there was a player per team in the sin-bin', I can assure you there wasn't. That was the Storm vs. Knights game from only 2 weeks ago.

Ch9 and aussie rules can go f**k themselves ... and I'm sure they will do so happily.

I feel I should state here that I used to like aussie rules when I was a kid, then out-grew it and got bored of it in the mid-90's. I didn't actually hate it for another few years when all their arrogant attitude and people became apparent to me. Now I detest it with an absolute passion.

Welcome to the War :D If it's not Yawnion it's AFL! Just remember hate leads to the dark side and once your there you can't go back :x

Say it with me 'I HATE AFL'.......now I feel better :lol:

gottabegood

Juniors
I'm finding it hard to work out what ch9 is trying to get out of this. I'm just considering the timing, and the fact that they would have thought long and hard about the stories impact on League fans on "our" channel....

There may be some chance that their trying to appease to the underdog tag, to get a further lift in ratings in the coming Origin games, or league content in general.

However, I didn't see it, I'll read through the transcript, and send them some hell where necessary.

Chapsta

Juniors
The first shots were fired by the AFL when the Swans invaded Sydney.

Then rugby league retaliated, sending the Storm troopers into Melbourne.

These opening lines setup 60-minutes agenda from the start.

Rugby League retaliated? 10 years later? What a joke that program is.

Nuke

Staff member
Welcome to the War :D If it's not Yawnion it's AFL! Just remember hate leads to the dark side and once your there you can't go back :x

Say it with me 'I HATE AFL'.......now I feel better :lol:
Don't worry, I've been in the trenches for 10 years now. Every year that passes I hate them even more.

League forever.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
You're back for another flogging hey mate.
We are not that delusional that we think that Aussie Rules is going to rule Sydney or the Gold Coast any time soon,
You'll be lucky to make it as the 3rd team in either area tbh. RL/RU and Soccer are so far out in front it's not funny.

but the code must grow and the fastest growing areas in Australia seems to be the logical place to do it.
There's zero support for AFL in WS and close to the same on the GC (the last GC team was merged AND relocated. That was at a time when vic immigrants actually made up a significant portion of the population, unlike now). What's the point in spending a billion dollars to set up teams in those two areas when they are going to be on AFL funded life support for the rest of their short lives?

IMO this will be the AFL's SL War. Not only will the two expansion teams fall over but the AFL will go close to bankruptcy and won't be able to stop another 2 or 3 Melbourne clubs, who currently survive on CBF handouts, from also kicking the bucket.

Honestly I'm looking forward to it all. It'll open the door for the other codes to swoop in and win over disgruntled heathens to the real footy codes.

Moffo

Referee
i been banned from 5 RU/AFL sites fighting 'the war'. its nothing new ladies and gentlemen, some of us have been in there going hammer and tongs for years now

El Diablo

Post Whore
that story should've never aired

according to 60 minutes we were all going to die of AIDS back in the 80's

60 minutes did a story on how Y2K would wipe us out

a few years ago 60 minutes said SARS would kill us all

and someone should tell that mum that Vegemite is no longer Australian and neither is AFL

Father Jack

Juniors
You're back for another flogging hey mate.
You'll be lucky to make it as the 3rd team in either area tbh. RL/RU and Soccer are so far out in front it's not funny.

There's zero support for AFL in WS and close to the same on the GC (the last GC team was merged AND relocated. That was at a time when vic immigrants actually made up a significant portion of the population, unlike now). What's the point in spending a billion dollars to set up teams in those two areas when they are going to be on AFL funded life support for the rest of their short lives?

IMO this will be the AFL's SL War. Not only will the two expansion teams fall over but the AFL will go close to bankruptcy and won't be able to stop another 2 or 3 Melbourne clubs, who currently survive on CBF handouts, from also kicking the bucket.

Honestly I'm looking forward to it all. It'll open the door for the other codes to swoop in and win over disgruntled heathens to the real footy codes.

Don't confuse getting bored with the total lack of a cohesive, logical argument from you lot as 'a flogging'. It is good for a laugh tho, coming over here.

The Gold Coast AFL team will be fine, don't worry about that. Western Sydney will be more interesting, I'll admit, but the AFL are pretty good at not throwing away money for no good reason so I'll assume they have done their homework on this one as well. As for Melbourne AFL clubs falling over, I've heard that a few Sydney NRL clubs are looking a bit shaky as well, so it doesn't mean too much apart from a poor distribution of clubs on both sides.

Moffo

Referee
that story should've never aired

according to 60 minutes we were all going to die of AIDS back in the 80's

60 minutes did a story on how Y2K would wipe us out

a few years ago 60 minutes said SARS would kill us all

and someone should tell that mum that Vegemite is no longer Australian and neither is AFL

welll...its played nowhere else in the world so has to be australian :lol:

Cheezel

Juniors
Don't confuse getting bored with the total lack of a cohesive, logical argument from you lot as 'a flogging'. It is good for a laugh tho, coming over here.

The Gold Coast AFL team will be fine, don't worry about that. Western Sydney will be more interesting, I'll admit, but the AFL are pretty good at not throwing away money for no good reason so I'll assume they have done their homework on this one as well. As for Melbourne AFL clubs falling over, I've heard that a few Sydney NRL clubs are looking a bit shaky as well, so it doesn't mean too much apart from a poor distribution of clubs on both sides.

Well having 6000 people turn up to the game on the gold coast the other week does not paint a good picture for AFL on the GOLD COAST. Also the fact that they have not been succesful in getting the GC council to build them a new stadium should also ring some alarm bells.

Titans have already captured that market and are backed by local business. In 5 years time the Titans would really be intrenched on the GC. AFL will be hoping a lot of Victorians move up there in the next 5 years.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
When 10 had league they promoted us also. Infact they did a fantastic job. Not only do we need to f*** off News Ltd but Nine as well.

I wouldn't read too much into that game the other week, even the bloody weather conspired against it.

even though they gave away 8000 free tickets.

the sport is struggling when the crowd isnt as big as the number of freebies.

still a gold coast team playing at the Gabba is going to be really funny.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
You've visited here a couple of times iirc, every single time you've run away crying to the tards on BF because you couldn't face facts.

The Gold Coast AFL team will be fine, don't worry about that.
:lol: Define "fine".

Western Sydney will be more interesting,
:lol:

but the AFL are pretty good at not throwing away money for no good reason
So what would you call the tens of millions they've thrown at Sydney and Brisbane only to have 4 figure audiences tune in to AFL matches in those cities? More people watch the NRL in Perth than that ffs.

so I'll assume they have done their homework on this one as well.
There's your mistake.

BTW I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction because I have yet to see any market research that the AFL has done re: the GC or WS.