What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to fight AFL (60 Minutes)

My bit into the mailbag:

Nice AFL puff piece and what a disgraceful comment from that Brownless fairy.

You failed to mention that less than 100k watch the Swans and the Lions on the box, in their home markets. Then again, why spoil the spin that you are trying to peddle.

The SOO just gave you the biggest ratings for the yearthis week. Nice payback.

Would Ch7 and 10 take a big swing at their #1 show? Just shows why your station, and this pathetic show have lost their way.

Big KP would be turning in his grave.

spot on mate.

and without RL where would they be.

id love 7 to get the rights next time, even if it were for less than 9 just to see the network destroyed

Cheezel

Juniors
You do realise the NRL have Melbourne Storm. Any sport would want to be the most successful it can be. If that means creating teams in non AFL/NRL cities then so be it. If the product is good enough then it will succeed.

All you guys going on about "war" are being drama queens. Leave those kind of words for real war. It is simply two "businesses" trying to do their best for their product. Right now the AFL is on top which is why there's all the crying on here.

I don't see the NRL on TV every 2nd week saying how the Melbourne Storm is going to take over Victoria! Do you get my drift :shock:. So 'WAR' is what the AFL has launched on Rugby League so I say lets return the favour :D.

P.S would you keep your political correctness crap of this forum!

Shorty

Staff member
Why get angry at the AFL? It's Channel Nine and the mob running the NRL who are scum.

Channel Nine are the ones who seemingly dictate everything to do with this game, the NRL can't fart without this disgraceful television station having a say in what games are played and at what times. The NRL shows absolutely no backbone and lets Channel Nine ride roughshod over the important decisions in the game.

For Christ's sake even the NRL Grand Final is staged at a time to please these ungrateful f**kers.

Rugby League last week provided Channel Nine with one of the highest rating television programs this year - and this SCUM say thankyou by denigrating the sport and pushing the merits of a rival code broadcast on another station.

I'll tell you what you will NEVER see Channel Ten taking the meataxe to the AFL like what we just saw tonight. NEVER.
I've been waiting for someone to point this out.

Look,I hate the AFL as much as the next League fan - But they are a sport and they wish to be successful.
As a result they are doing what they must to make their sport the most successful in Australia.

However the real anger should be directed at channel 9 for the deplorable support of their f**king sport.
Not only are they now making League look bad,but they're making themselves look like complete idiots.

As a channel,you promote and support what you are given - It doesn't matter what it is you fight tooth and nail to make it money for you.
Nein are failing miserably at this,f**k me dead why not give it to a channel that would actually embrace it?

This channel,guys is holding our code back...and I for one am rightly sick of it.
We get one live game a week,ONE F**KING LIVE GAME!
We are supplied three,and two are stretched into two hour intervals and force the fan to sit through numerous numerous ads.
Apart from these times,what promotion does our sport get?
The f**king footy show gets more promotion than our sport!?

The story...well not too bad if you think about it.
One thing it did do(probably not deliberately) is show AFL fans in a negative light and League fans in a positive.

On one hand we've got a prejudiced arrogant slime insulting our sport folding his arms.
On the other a former great happy to see his son in whatever sport he wants...hmmm?

Not only that,Mr AFL fan decided to compare our sport to soccer,Soccer?
What's that sport...does anyone else play it? How many countries support it?
Anyone?
D*ckhead.

queenslandfan

Juniors
My bit into the mailbag:

Nice AFL puff piece and what a disgraceful comment from that Brownless fairy.

You failed to mention that less than 100k watch the Swans and the Lions on the box, in their home markets. Then again, why spoil the spin that you are trying to peddle.

The SOO just gave you the biggest ratings for the year this week. Nice payback.

Would Ch7 and 10 take a big swing at their #1 show? Just shows why your station, and this pathetic show have lost their way.

Big KP would be turning in his grave.

nicely put, channel 9 is horrible these days

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I presume you would consider the Storm or an Adelaide or Perth team getting 34k to home games a failure as well then? AFL has expanded their game succesfully, we can only dream that one day the NRL gets administrators with as much ability!
A few quick questions:

What's the average AFL crowd? How far below it are Sydney and Brisbane? How long have they been in the comp and how much extra assistance have they had over the past few decades?

What's the average NRL crowd and how far below it is Melbourne? How long have they been in the comp and how much extra assistance have they had since they joined?

That's not even touching on tv ratings either so it's pandering to the AFL's only strength, its crowds.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Channel 9 is a f**king disgrace, We give them record SOO figures and this is how they pay RL back. AFL can have all the feel good articles and bullsh*t propaganda they want. but the end of the day their sport is still sh*t.

One thing that RL has and will always have over AFL is the quality of our game over that joke of a sport. The sooner we piss News Limited of from RL THE BETTER OUR GAME WILL BE.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I agree the timing of the program was bizarre.

not at all

they are trying to take the gloss of Origin. 9 and the AFL have probably been timing this all year.

look what they said after they lost the rights

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2007/02/09/1170524270227.html

Nine to continue AFL coverage

Daniel Ziffer
February 9, 2007

Channel Nine will attempt to maintain the public's perception of its grip on AFL football, despite yesterday's deal cementing coverage between Seven, Ten and Pay-TV operator Foxtel.

Chief executive Eddie McGuire yesterday scorned the new five-year arrangement, in which four games will be shown weekly on free-to-air television - one fewer than last year - and reaffirmed his desire to bid for the next TV rights deal.

"Those people in Perth and Adelaide who complained about Nine's coverage (under the old deal), you can ask them what they're looking at now," he said.

McGuire said The Footy Show on Thursday nights, the Sunday Footy Show and a fresh AFL-focussed news and entertainment show on Monday nights would continue the heavily promoted past slogan of the past five years; "AFL on Nine".

In a break from taping his new quiz show 1 vs 100 at Docklands, McGuire said the new show would not be a clone of variety-fuelled The Footy Show or Seven's high-brow chat-show Talking Footy.

"It's got as much to do with them as The Footy Show had to do with (early TV show) League Teams," he said, praising his football news team.

The Collingwood president also rubbished rumours the quiz would move to Sydney to be shot.

"What, move all this?" he joked, gesturing upwards to the massive 1 vs 100 set. A large crew is working long days on the set, with the enough episodes to run until May expected to be shot by Wednesday.

The show has debuted to strong ratings, stealing some of the thunder from Seven's popular US drama Desperate Housewives.

On Monday the Housewives topped the national ratings, but in Melbourne the most-watched program was McGuire's quiz.

theage.com.au

babyg

Juniors
The only positive to come out of that wank fest was that we are the underdog. Plus it probably gave us a bit of exposure in Vic, Wa and SA.
Other than that I was dry reaching.

Cheezel

Juniors
In a nutshell, consolidate sydney, focus on the individual not the cumulative fan base.

Interesting post mark123! I have to say i don't agree with everything you have posted. But I do agree that some teams in Sydney need to consolidate.

But the NRL also needs to put a line in the sand and say to clubs that you need to average over 20,000 per game in the next 10 years or you will be relocated. This will force clubs to increase memberships and also force clubs to look at their options being Merge or relocate before the deadline. Having clubs hanging on by a thread is not helpful to the game.

As bad as that may be it seems that it is the only way moving forward.

Lets start taking the fight to them David Gallop. The time for sitting around and saying everything is okay is over. Go to FOX and 9 and find out if the TV deal could be re-done prior to 2012. The Rugby Union are doing it so why not the NRL. Who knows, you might be able to increase the TV $$$ and putting a team in SA and WA. Put it on the table to the Sydney clubs. If they don't won't to reloacte fine. Start up new teams which is the best way based on the Gold Coast Titans. The Sydney teams will then have no other option but to turn things around or look at merging options.

Cheezel, I love your passion but Gallop isn't the man to lead us into battle. He isn't going to get out TV deal re-done because it's his bosses who have to pay...

Nuke

Staff member
I have seen the 60 Minutes 'story' advertised today, and have turned the tv on to watch it. After having read what it's all about though, I already have the blood boiling inside me. I just saw the 'coming up next' bit of the show as it went to an ad break (it's 7:50pm here in Perth).

Here goes ...

Moffo

Referee
its a bit weird that ch9 pushed the story in such a strong way, given they own RL rights.

any bet that news paid them off?

Cheezel

Juniors
Cheezel, I love your passion but Gallop isn't the man to lead us into battle. He isn't going to get out TV deal re-done because it's his bosses who have to pay...

I hear ya!!!

I just get the feeling that they have something cooking in the kitchen but they are keeping it under raps. Surely with all this stuff going on in the media the NRL must be drawing up plans to take the fight to them!

At least the NRL can come out and start blowing their own trumpet about ratings crowds etc like the AFL do every 2nd day :x

The NRL Marketing department are either under funded, under resourced or under a rock!!!!!!!!

My bet is under a rock. I've been in Sales/Marketing for 30 years and I know they're not hitting their mark.

The 100 year ad was fantastic, but we don't see it enough and we have backed it up with abosolutely nothing.