What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timmy's back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sooperdooper

First Grade
In your opinion, maybe. And what would be the basis for it? Kimmorley, Barrett, Wallace, Mullen and Pearce have all played Origin. Tim? Ha.

Cronk has won a Premiership. Tim? Ha.

And how can you say Tim "at his peak" would be better than Mullen when you haven't even seen Mullen reach his peak?

notice all those halves are from NSW where our halves lack...
if they were from QLD they would not get a gig....

if Tim smith were from NSW he would play origin.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Just another small point I would like to make:
  • Last time we made the finals – Tim Smith was here.
  • Last time we displayed fluency and decent attack – Tim Smith was here.
  • Last time Hindy made a rep team – Tim Smith was here.
  • Last time players like Grothe, Inu, Hindy, Caylo and Ben Smith fired as players – Tim Smith was here.

He doesn’t get the credit he deserves…. Great player and we would be be a far superior team with him int it.

bartman

Immortal
Conversely:

• the last time Tim Smith was here (early last year) we didn't make the finals
  • the last time Tim Smith was here we didn't display fluency and decent attack (those games after he came back through Wenty were woeful)
  • the last time Hindy made a rep team was captaining that PM's XIII at the very end of last year, Tim Smith nowhere to be seen
  • the last time Tim Smith was here (start of last year) players like Grothe, Inu, Hindy, Caylo and Ben Smith weren't firing either

Eelementary

Post Whore
notice all those halves are from NSW where our halves lack...
if they were from QLD they would not get a gig....

if Tim smith were from NSW he would play origin.

Yeah they're real hacks. :roll:

I suppose Cronk's Premiership is also somehow tainted? :roll:

And Tim playing Origin? :lol:

Bazal

Post Whore
Tim wouldn't bring any more to the table than KK or Kelly imo. He may have a few more games under his belt but KK has already shown he has what it takes.

Have to disagree on the first part of the statement tbh. Again, I'm not on either side of the bandwagon in this case, this is purely a point of discussion. But I believe that Tim Smith offers a lot more than Kelly, and a bit more than KK. Timy honestly has one of the best few passing games I've seen, his long cut outs and his ability to hit the exact man he needs to from a long way are just sublime. And his kicking game is excellent too. He's never been much of a runner but I've never believed that a great halfback necessarily needs to be a big ball runner.

KK, on the other hand, has an excellent running game, a very good kicking game and a pretty good passing game. Kelly is electric with the ball but doesn't necessarily have what it takes in terms of his passing and kicking game...I'd love for Tim to come back if the club went that way. I don't think they will and that's fine with me too

Have to disagree on the first part of the statement tbh. Again, I'm not on either side of the bandwagon in this case, this is purely a point of discussion. But I believe that Tim Smith offers a lot more than Kelly, and a bit more than KK. Timy honestly has one of the best few passing games I've seen, his long cut outs and his ability to hit the exact man he needs to from a long way are just sublime. And his kicking game is excellent too. He's never been much of a runner but I've never believed that a great halfback necessarily needs to be a big ball runner.

KK, on the other hand, has an excellent running game, a very good kicking game and a pretty good passing game. Kelly is electric with the ball but doesn't necessarily have what it takes in terms of his passing and kicking game...I'd love for Tim to come back if the club went that way. I don't think they will and that's fine with me too

∧∧∧

what he said...

Avenger

Immortal
Tim Smith had an effective right to left passing game. His left to right passing game was a little hit and miss and went forward plenty of times.

ParraFan09

Juniors

ive rarely watched kelly play but when i have he really turns it on on saturday night we was excellent in every way kicking passing defence taking the line on and following up in support. but you say he doesnt have a strong kicking or passing game so do you think fullback would be a betta position for him then?

Bazal

Post Whore
ive rarely watched kelly play but when i have he really turns it on on saturday night we was excellent in every way kicking passing defence taking the line on and following up in support. but you say he doesnt have a strong kicking or passing game so do you think fullback would be a betta position for him then?

No, I think he's a 6. Or maybe an impact bench utility. He creates havoc through the ruck and on the edges. Also, it's not that he doesn't have "strong" kicking or passing game, it's that IMO both are erratic and undeveloped

I honestly think Mortimer would be suited to fullback if not for his size...he's another who is really more of a runner or a 2nd/3rd reciever. I think he and Kelly will eventually fight it out for the 6 outside KK (assuming we don't buy a half and that Kelly stays)

Avenger

Immortal

Kelly is a natural 5/8th playing at 7 due to necessity.

Avenger

Immortal
No, I think he's a 6. Or maybe an impact bench utility. He creates havoc through the ruck and on the edges.

I honestly think Mortimer would be suited to fullback if not for his size...he's another who is really more of a runner or a 2nd/3rd reciever. I think he and Kelly will eventually fight it out for the 6 outside KK (assuming we don't buy a half and that Kelly stays)

Agree. Especially when you consider that Mortimer is only signed up until end of 2010.

lucablight

First Grade
Conversely:

• the last time Tim Smith was here (early last year) we didn't make the finals
  • the last time Tim Smith was here we didn't display fluency and decent attack (those games after he came back through Wenty were woeful)
  • the last time Hindy made a rep team was captaining that PM's XIII at the very end of last year, Tim Smith nowhere to be seen
  • the last time Tim Smith was here (start of last year) players like Grothe, Inu, Hindy, Caylo and Ben Smith weren't firing either

Horrible example. I don't see how 3 games in 2008 is suddenly significant when you ignore his other 68 games for the Eels.

bartman

Immortal
I'm going on his last known NRL form... which is what we should be going on when talking about whether to re-sign him or not.

Happy to acknowledge (as I have earlier in the thread) that Tim had a fantastic 2005, just an ok 2006, and a better (but not brilliant) 2007... imo we need to take the rose coloured glasses off.

He was not the messiah. And I highly doubt he would come back to the NRL as any clubs first choice halfback. Good backup signing for $55K on a one year incentive contract, and extend if he's up to first grade standard.

caylo

Bench
In your opinion, maybe. And what would be the basis for it? Kimmorley, Barrett, Wallace, Mullen and Pearce have all played Origin. Tim? Ha.

Cronk has won a Premiership. Tim? Ha.

And how can you say Tim "at his peak" would be better than Mullen when you haven't even seen Mullen reach his peak?

Well tbh I think we have seen Mullen at his peak, and this is it. He wille be an orford type palyer IMO (Pearce is much the same IMO) who will perform with a good team but will struggle in a under-peforming team - he is not a player that will win a match for you when its is there to be taken.

Tim Smith has a superior game to the guys I mentioned, guys like Wallace, Mullen and Pearce wish they had Timmy passing game. Again I will say it, his mental state has actually stopped him performing at his best and that is his biggest problem. Timmy on of the best halves taht I had seen for his age when he hit first grade. KK is very much in a Cronk mould of a player, has a great running game, a good kicking age and goo passing game but will not pull off the plays that timmy could. The difference is that KK will be consistant and will form a solid halves partnership with guys like Mateo and Hayne at the back.

I actually prefer KK and Mateo are our starting halves next year, but I have a feeling that Timmy will be back in the blue and gold next year and will probably partner KK in the halves. Mortimer and Mitchell will probably fight for a bench spot with Mateo at #13.