What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tina Turner

Do you want Tina Turner back?

• Yes...

Votes: 70 68.0%
  • No...

Votes: 33 32.0%

• Total voters

TheRam

Coach

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Both, as did the original with Tina Tuner. Much better ad. Don't over complicate it and over think it. It's a footy commercial. Not rocket science. Jimmy brings the passion and the player/footy highlights bring the product.

No SJW messages. Just pure footy stuff. You know, for a footy promo commercial?
SJW messages :joy: jesus christ you lot are easily offended.

typicalfan

Coach
I still think the NRL ad does a better job at getting an emotive reaction than the Fox one. The Fox is ok but it doesn't really sell the experience for me until near the end.

If I want highlight reels only YouTube has plenty.

Dave's mate

Juniors
I still think the NRL ad does a better job at getting an emotive reaction than the Fox one. The Fox is ok but it doesn't really sell the experience for me until near the end.

Nope the NRL pulls them all down. Incompetent pricks know nothing about growing the game

Xcalibre

Juniors
has it though, is there any evidence to back this up?

I would think all it has done is give the noisy minority something to whinge about but that's just my opinion

Only anecdotal and won’t be clear until the season is well under way and we can look at viewership etc.

Nrl gets caned by the media for including diversity in its ad. Afl has a rainbow flag, indigenous celebrations, disabled people and girls and is applauded. Double standards?

Didn’t even notice that tbh. Maybe it’s HOW the NRL have implemented their inclusivity that it’s more obvious, hence cringey.

I think the NRL would be more worried if a 78 year old dude thought it was awesome.

Ah the old age argument. Age has nothing to do with his comment. It’s his advertising expertise that is relevant. He’s commenting on the effectiveness of the ad.

BTown324

Juniors

Fox spot is a clear broadcasters promo so relies on iconic broadcast vision as they should.
NRL is trying to be a purpose promo promoting their larger purpose. Harder thing to achieve but people asking for more game vision are missing the point or, purpose.

BTown324

Juniors
Only anecdotal and won’t be clear until the season is well under way and we can look at viewership etc.

Didn’t even notice that tbh. Maybe it’s HOW the NRL have implemented their inclusivity that it’s more obvious, hence cringey.

Ah the old age argument. Age has nothing to do with his comment. It’s his advertising expertise that is relevant. He’s commenting on the effectiveness of the ad.
This has been my issue the whole time. People need to clarify if it’s the messaging or execution that’s their problem. Some people say it’s the messaging but then spend all their time splitting hairs on the execution so their point is moot.

Xcalibre

Juniors

The Fox one is the worst of the lot, possibly worst of any NRL ad. Barnesy screeching during a tornado or some shit lol. Wtf?

Note to advertisers: Cover Turner’s classic version at your peril. NO ONE will sing it as good.

Xcalibre

Juniors
This has been my issue the whole time. People need to clarify if it’s the messaging or execution that’s their problem. Some people say it’s the messaging but then spend all their time splitting hairs on the execution so their point is moot.

IMO it’s definitely execution. I have no issue with minorities being acknowledged but do it in a seamless way.

wittyfan

Referee
The Fox one is the worst of the lot, possibly worst of any NRL ad. Barnesy screeching during a tornado or some shit lol. Wtf?

Note to advertisers: Cover Turner’s classic version at your peril. NO ONE will sing it as good.

Bonnie Tyler's original version is very very good though not in the same anthemic style as Tina's.

The Turner/Barnesy version always seemed to miss the mark just a bit and was only used for one season I think.

unforgiven

Bench
Interesting thing about all this is that all the people complaining about the girls kissing in the new ad. The original Tina Turner ad had guys kissing!

Latest posts