What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tinkler proposal back on (take 3)

perverse

Referee
ah, so there you are, Mr Barrett... you are, in fact, involved with the Patrons Trust after all.

BWNB

First Grade
Poole just doesn't get it, sure in 2 years we might not need the trust but we won't have any competitive advantage over our rivals. The trust model will mean we'll go from bottom feeders to maybe somewhere toward the middle of the pack, the Tinkler deal could make us the top dogs, within a month if the Tinkler deal goes through we could have Bennett and Snowden signed on, Ike and Kids re-signed with major 3rd party deals and Pika telling us all about the new full-time staff and state of the art equipment and facilities
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...tinkler-takeover/story-e6frf3ou-1226030498508
And no one else.

perverse

Referee
potentially Idris, too... although i saw the Dogs absolutely sucking his c**k off in an article i read a few days ago. they want to set up Idris Inc., brand him and his "personality" and they were throwing sh*t like TV and movie star around... i generally just skimmed it due to it's stupidity. Greenberg was trying to pass off dreadlocks = movie star essentially. they are f**king super desperate... but if they fellate him enough they might just keep him for less than we offer.

cram

Bench
Well, its close to 24 hours till the big meeting and vote....lets like its like the State Election and the vote can be called at 7.05pm....lol

I will be teaching at TAFE tomorrow night, Legal and Ethical Studies....now can I some how incorporate the vote into my lesson.....lol

perverse

Referee
He won't be getting 500k a year, we've tabled Idris an offer of 350k, I can't see us having 850k to spend
the only way these sorts of things are possible is that there must be space outside the cap relating to 3rd party sponsorships that the Knights are currently not leveraging for one reason or another - and i have had it suggested to me that this is indeed the case. it's the only way i see possible for us to have any sort of spending spree at all, even splurging on 1 player like Snowden.

Serc

First Grade
Tinkler Group ready for moment of truth
Steve Jancetic AAP
Wed, Mar 30, 2011 - 7:47 PM

Memories of South Sydney's close call on privatisation five years ago have prompted Tinkler Sports Group to issue an impassioned plea for Newcastle members to ensure they have a say on the future of their NRL club on Thursday night.
The long-running bid by mining magnate Nathan Tinkler to take over the Knights will finally come to an end at Newcastle Entertainment Centre when the club's members attend an extraordinary general meeting to vote on whether to accept his $100 million proposal.
The emotion-charged saga has divided much of the local community, and despite a growing current of support for the proposal, TSG officials are under no illusions as to the enormity of the task of securing 75 per cent of the members' vote.
"We're not confident - but we're certainly getting a lot of positive feedback," TSG chief executive Ken Edwards told AAP.
"Our biggest concern is that a few members we talked to (at Monday's information session) thought it was such a good deal there's no way that it's not going to get up, they don't think they need to vote.
"Our key message is that any members who believe in what we're trying to do, we're asking them to get along and vote in favour because that could be the difference between getting this up and not because 75 per cent is a big ask.
"It's worth remembering the South Sydney vote for privatisation only got up by 32 votes - which effectively is only 16 votes because if 16 votes went the other way they wouldn't have got enough."
Hollywood star Russell Crowe and businessman Peter Holmes a Court took ownership of the Rabbitohs in March 2006 when 3942 voted in favour of their bid and 954 against - the duo's bid successful by just 0.8 per cent.
Knights member Jim Thornton - who is also secretary of the Newcastle Knights Supporters Club - had been one of bid's most ardent and vocal critics, but told local media last week he felt appeased after a meeting with TSG.
Thornton - who failed to divulge how he would vote - had previously taken out a series of full-page advertisements in the Newcastle Herald advising Knights members to consider the Patron's Trust and status quo as an alternative to the takeover.
Since then however, evidence of opposition to the TSG proposal has been light on.
As was the case with the Bunnies, TSG only need 75 per cent of the vote and not 75 per cent of all members' approval to win its bid.
The TSG will continue its advertising bombardment right up until the vote, while former Newcastle player and coach Michael Hagan - one of a host of Knights old boys recruited to help get the bid over the line - will also be campaigning up until the last minute.
"There's no doubt that there's certainly a small group of members that are not sure of its appeal ... but I think the Tinkler Sports Group has made it clear they're still a non-for-profit organisation, it's still a community-based football club," Hagan said.
"The alternatives aren't great and the financial pressure the club's been under has been spelt out pretty clearly.
"The club will survive but it's a matter of how you want it to survive and what the future holds and this would give it a pretty good footing financially."
Edwards said he wasn't sure just how many of the approximately 3000 members eligible to vote would turn up on Thursday night, with many having already lodged their vote by proxy on Monday night when Tinkler addressed an information session.
http://www.nrl.com/tinkler-group-ready-for-moment-of-truth/tabid/10874/newsid/62031/default.aspx

Alex28

Coach
The Australian are reporting this:

Tinkler's millions to win out

NEWCASTLE'S hopes of convincing seven-time premiership winner Wayne Bennett to form a dream partnership with existing coach Rick Stone rest in the hands of little more than 1000 voting members.

Already, up to 2000 Knights members have cast proxy votes on the proposed takeover by mining magnate Nathan Tinkler and The Australian understands the overwhelming majority have endorsed the privatisation bid.
The remaining Knights members -- between 1000-1500 -- will cast their votes tonight. All indications are that Tinkler will win the day, setting off a chain of events that could culminate in Bennett joining the Knights next season.
Tinkler has already revealed his plans to pursue Bennett with a big-money bid, appointing him to work alongside Stone. Reports have suggested his offer could be anywhere from $1.5-2 million a season.
Bennett yesterday stressed money would not be the motivating force behind his next career move.
However, there was a flood of money from punters backing the Knights on the strength of Tinkler winning control of the club and using part of his $600m fortune to sign Bennett.
Sportingbet Australia reacted immediately to several wagers yesterday by shaving the odds of Newcastle landing the master coach to $2.50.
Brisbane remains a clear-cut favourite at $1.50.
Mind you, it may be premature given Tinkler's bid is not yet across the line. That said, Newcastle chairman Robbie Tew admits he would be extremely surprised if Tinkler's offer was not endorsed by the members.
The Tinkler camp has waged a well-crafted public relations campaign to sell the merits of its bid, convincing some of the club's most famous players to publicly pronounce Tinkler's millions as the answer to the club's problems.
At an information night this week, former players Paul Harragon, Mark Sargent, Michael Hagan, Steve Simpson and Steve Crowe were part of the official table.
Stone and captain Kurt Gidley were also in the Tinkler camp.
"I would be surprised if it didn't get over the line," Tew said.
"It's an outstanding commercial opportunity."
Tinkler has guaranteed to clear the Knights' debts -- estimated to be as much as $4m -- and underwrite the club's sponsorship to the value of $10m a season over the next 10 years.
Furthermore, he has targeted some of the game's biggest names as part of his takeover plans.
His priority targets are NSW pair Kade Snowden and Jamal Idris.
Snowden is expected to turn his back on an offer from the Sharks should Tinkler gain control of the Knights while Idris is weighing up offers from Newcastle, Canterbury and the Gold Coast.
Should the Knights secure Bennett, St George Illawarra fullback Darius Boyd could also follow his long-time mentor to Newcastle.

Rexxy

Coach
Marge: But Main Street's still all cracked and broken...
Bart: Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken!

Enjoy your vote. It's the last one you will ever get.

knaus

Juniors
i was about to post "mono.....doh!" after your monorail post rexxxy.

then i found out you are a tool

Jobdog

Live Update Team
troll.gif

knaus

Juniors
if around 2/3 have voted already. will these have been counted yet? if its only about 1000 to vote tonight, is it realistic to think we will know the result in a matter of hours after voting starts?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
One would like to think we will know by the time it's time to go home tonight.

Latest posts