What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tinkler proposal back on (take 3)

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Do we have any young members in the club at all?

The broadcast was next to impossible to watch. However from what I heard this deal looks dead in the water. Almost none of them would (besides having the internet) have read the revised offer before going to the meeting, and none of them at that meeting are even interested in reading it.

The offer (4.1) is pretty damn good, and we'd be crazy not to take it up.

It really needs Rob Tew to say to the members that he supports it outright for it to get across the line.
I'm one, probably just about the only one if the meeting last night was any indication:crazy:

As for the whole issue of getting 75%, it's next to no chance. As Pervy said, the biggest cheer last night was when Leigh got up and said it's our time to go into the big time. The time is now in our hands (as members) to put the Knights up in the top echelon of NRL clubs. It's our time to look at the side in the pre-season and say "wow, we're a real good shot at winning the comp this year."

This isn't a shot at the current group of players we've got, but can anyone honestly tell me that you look at the team this year and tell themselves "wow, we can win the comp this year?" I bet the answer is no, because while we can make the top eight (and I believe we can), we'll go no further. And we'll continue to go no further for as long as these old, senile individuals want to keep the status quo.

"It's our team!! We don't care if we get beaten by 30 every second week, we don't care if we'll never win another competition. It's our team!"

Newsflash folks, we're not going to win another comp any time soon. It's not going to happen. I'm sure Nathan isn't as big of a pr!ck as people are making him out to be. Sure he hasn't gone about this whole thing in the right way, but he's a passionate novocastrian; he wants what's best for the club. He's not going to take them anywhere. If he was, why would he be spruiking this whole "Team Newcastle" thing?

Johns Magic

Referee
Right you are.

The point is simply that the board will probably have a large slab of votes - and that is probably the main thing keeping it all alive at present.

Tinkler agreeing to address the members is going to help hugely as well.

Thanks for that, good to hear.

cram

Bench
My take on last night, from those that chose to ask questions is that there are a core group who oppose the takeover. There were some speakers who supported it and another group who asked probing questions that would be fence sitters.

IMO the support of the board will assist in pushing this past the 75% mark, particularly the fact that Leigh Maughan spoke in favour of it.

Alex28

Coach
Rob Tew can actually come out and say he supports it can't he? Just because he is the Chairman of the club doesn't mean he can not come out and say which way he supports one way or another.

I think if he comes out and openly states what he supports that will have more effect than Tinkler speaking to be honest. Tew will get the majority of the proxies...

cram

Bench
I will stand corrected but I think Tew has said he supports it, I got that impression from last nights meeting.

aqua_duck

Coach
Honestly I don't see why being a community based club is so important that it should come before success and and guaranteed future. I mean the members at the end of the day have very limited say in how the club is run besides electing the board, the guys who have the most to lose are the board of directors and even they're supporting it, they're willing to do the noble thing and give up the power they have for the good of the club, but it seems the old farts are not, I personally think they're being quite selfish and not putting the club 1st

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Honestly I don't see why being a community based club is so important that it should come before success and and guaranteed future. I mean the members at the end of the day have very limited say in how the club is run besides electing the board, the guys who have the most to lose are the board of directors and even they're supporting it, they're willing to do the noble thing and give up the power they have for the good of the club, but it seems the old farts are not, I personally think they're being quite selfish and not putting the club 1st
But you're forgetting one very important point here aqua - the Knights are "Our club", not Tinky's :sarcasm:

Apey

Staff member

lol, it's funny because it's true.

aqua_duck

Coach
I mean its like being a member of the local RSL, imagine the RSL is struggling financially, consistently serves up substandard food and may not survive 10 years, however Panthers group are willing to amalgomate the club and guarantee its future, they'rem willing to hire the best chefs, headhunt the best management, do the place up whilst still keeping the same prices, even the board are telling the members that this deal is the best deal to take, however the members refuse because if its done up, successful and not run like a chook raffle it won't be the same club, I mean the club might fall over in 5 or 6 years and cease to exist all together, the staff will always be the scrabs that centrelink offers who noone else will hire, the service will poor, the club will keep losing money, but atleast the chef cooking the sh*t food tries his best, the management running the joint into the ground are locals and whilst the club might be a sh*thole, atleast its still 'our' club

Skinner

Coach
I cannot believe the conversations on here. Do you nay sayers want a footy club or not.

I may be a fairly new arrival to the Knights catchment area and I certainly do. If some get their way, I'm off to the Bears, because the Knights won't be around.

Wake up to yourselves.

Serc

First Grade
The Knights are not going anywhere Skinner, sure things aren't rosy and the business model we have had isn't one that leads to prosperity...but I have to admit (having watched last nights information night video stream) there are a lot of positives going the way of the club right now and in the next few years. Possibly why Tinkler might want to buy the club now, rather than in a few years time when the 'value' of some things may have increased ;-)

Apey

Staff member
Just got my invite in the mail to attend yesterday's meeting :sarcasm:

Rusty

Juniors
The bad news is 600 or so supporters were there lastnight....most of which were anti-Tinkler.

The good news is there are 3000 members eligible to vote.

Spot On

Coach
...and so based on that number (3000 voting members) nearly 2250 need to vote yes for Tinkler to get the club. Hmmm. Sure does seem like a long shot.

Noname36

First Grade
To be a voting member, you need to have been a member for 3 or more years correct?

At last count, our memberships were close to the 9000 mark. Surely there would have to be more than 3000 members eligible to vote? I'm sure our membership numbers couldn't have climbed so much in only a few short years.

I just hope there's enough of us to counter the Knight's Nannas.

perverse

Referee
you have to be a member for 3 or more years, and you have to have renewed before the census date of november 30th on each consecutive renewal (i assume).

macavity

Referee
...and so based on that number (3000 voting members) nearly 2250 need to vote yes for Tinkler to get the club. Hmmm. Sure does seem like a long shot.

To have your vote counted, you need to either turn up or send in your proxy with someone.

I would be surprised if more than say 2,000 votes are actually counted.

Latest posts