What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tinkler proposal back on (take 3)

Alex28

Coach
I asked a journo who was at the meeting last night what was the actual reality of the meeting - whether it was anti-Tinkler or not. She suggested it was a vocal minority and whilst they asked some valid questions, the majority was probably on board for the takeover.

The 75% will be achievable when the entire board makes it clear that they support the offer. Until they do, there will be members out there thinking they are backing Tew and the board and vote against it. I still have the feeling that members think there is a hostile takeover here and not something that the board and management supports and wants. They need to come out and make it clear this isn't the case.

Serc

First Grade
Tinkler ready to face members
BY BRETT KEEBLE
02 Mar, 2011 04:00 AM

KNIGHTS members will get the chance to look Nathan Tinkler ‘‘in the eye’’ and ascertain his passion for the club before they vote on the mining magnate’s takeover proposal.
Tinkler will front Knights members at an information meeting to answer their questions, allay any fears and outline his plans to make Newcastle’s NRL club ‘‘as good as they can be’’.
Once a date for the meeting is confirmed, the Tinkler Sports Group will organise a series of meetings and forums where details of the privatisation plan will be explained.
‘‘Presuming the board sign off on the deal tomorrow, and we are hopeful that they will, we will then be in a position to talk transparently and openly about the offer, detail the offer and explain it to the people,’’ TSG executive chairman Ken Edwards said yesterday.
‘‘It will be a very transparent and open process of explaining to members the benefits of what we are offering.
‘‘There are a number of well-known Knights supporter groups, and we will be talking to those groups collectively. We are happy to have one-on-one conversations with members.
‘‘Nathan will communicate his views and values in a variety of ways through the media. He will also, at the appropriate time, and we have not determined that yet, address members and, as someone put it, look them in the eye and demonstrate his passion and his belief in this region and the Knights.’’
More than 600 Knights members attended an information meeting at Newcastle Panthers on Monday night, where Knights chairman Rob Tew, chief executive Steve Burraston and the club’s legal representative, Robert Faraday-Bensley, detailed events of the past month.
A number of queries about the proposed sale were raised from the floor.
TSG was not represented at the meeting, which was organised by the Knights board, but Edwards watched it online and ‘‘we listened intently to the issues raised’’.
‘‘We were not too concerned by most of the issues raised. We think we can address them, and we are looking forward to having in-depth discussions with members about those issues,’’ he said.
Edwards conceded the negotiations, which have broken down several times, had been difficult.
‘‘We haven’t always made the right decisions or pulled the right rein. That is behind us,’’ he said.
‘‘We now have an outstanding proposal for members to consider. Any negative energy or thoughts that may have been in the past have gone away.
‘‘It is about making Newcastle and the Knights as good as they can be. It is about making this city an international city and developing our infrastructure and giving kids an opportunity to aspire to be the best they can be.’’
Tew told members on Monday night that it would make sense for Tinkler to address them before they were asked to vote on his proposal at the EGM.
‘‘As I said last night, I’m happy to invite him to address our members,’’ Tew said yesterday.
Tew expected directors to have the final documents from the TSG by last night. The Knights board was scheduled to meet at 9am today but that was pushed back to 3pm to give directors enough time to read the final document and be adequately prepared to discuss it.
Tew told members on Monday night that Tinkler’s proposal was a ‘‘superior financial model’’ and, pending final board approval, anticipated recommending members vote in favour of that offer.
‘‘We have recommended that the decision go to a members’ vote, and our recommendation is subject to confirmation in the final documentation,’’ Tew said.
‘‘But if that is in accord with that which we have seen since Wednesday of last week, we don’t believe there would be any alternative outcome from tomorrow’s meeting. We give it a recommendation one way or the other, it’s as simple as that, and that recommendation, if the documentation aligns with our understanding of what the deal is now, then it will be a positive recommendation.’’
If the board unanimously endorsed Tinkler’s bid, Tew said it would make sense for the Knights and TSG to collaborate in imploring members to vote in favour of it.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/tinkler-ready-to-face-members/2090735.aspx

haha, well done Mr Perverse! (see bold)

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Tinkler guarantees $20m safety net for Knights deal
BY BRETT KEEBLE
02 Mar, 2011 04:00 AM

NATHAN Tinkler’s offer to buy the Knights is underpinned by an ironclad bank guarantee that provides the club with up to $20million if the mining magnate is unable to meet his commitments. The safety net is part of a revised proposal from Tinkler that Knights directors are expected to sign off on today. ‘‘These are real hard bank guarantees,’’ Tinkler Sports Group executive chairman Ken Edwards said last night.
‘‘Effectively it is cash, which in certain scenarios the club, meaning the members’ club, has direct access to in the event that we do not fulfil our obligation.
‘‘Nathan has to pay a fee to have that available, and it is $20million he can’t spend on something else.’’
The Knights board of directors is scheduled to meet today and is expected to formally endorse the Tinkler offer, which also includes:
■ guaranteeing $10million in annual sponsorship revenue for the next 10 years;
■ wiping the club’s accumulated losses, estimated at about $3million;
■ injecting $2.5million a year into junior development;
■ guaranteeing members’ buy-back rights and;
■ a ‘‘heritage share’’ enshrining the club’s name, colours, location and home ground as the Newcastle Knights based at Ausgrid (formerly EnergyAustralia) Stadium.

The proposal will then be put to the 3000 eligible members to vote on at an extraordinary general meeting, tentatively scheduled for March 30, at which a 75 per cent majority is needed for Tinkler to take control of the Knights.
TSG has secured the guarantee for ‘‘Knights Newco’’, the proposed joint venture company formed between the Knights and the TSG, as a financial safety net protecting the Knights club and the Knights Newco company.
The $20million guarantee would be in place for the first two years of the deal and reduce to $10million, indexed to CPI, for the remaining eight years.
‘‘It’s a safeguard there that gives some comfort to the entity [the Knights club or Knights Newco] who requires to act on the guarantee in the event of a shortfall or a catastrophe,’’ Knights chairman Rob Tew said last night.
The guarantee, which it is understood will incur $500,000 in bank charges for the first two years and $200,000 a year thereafter absorbed by TSG, was negotiated by Tew to ensure the club’s protection.
‘‘Robbie’s stated objective was to have as many parachutes in place in the unlikely event that things went wrong,’’ Edwards said. ‘‘That is what we have agreed to and that is what we have been able to deliver to members.’’
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...-20m-safety-net-for-knights-deal/2090742.aspx

cram

Bench
I am going to remain confident that this can get through. Again my take on the meeting was there were a % of people who asked questions that wanted clarification of certain issues and once those issues are addressed then they will fall into the "Yes" vote. IMO the 20mil guarantee will help alleviate some fears.

Also if you (being the voting members) are going to praise then board and particularly Burro and Tew for their ability to negotiate a fair deal then you also need to follow their advise and vote "Yes".

Maybe I am overly optimistic but I think it can happen.

Nuffy

Bench
If Tinkler wants to get this through he needs to do two more things to really take the more conservative members concerns away.

1 Assemble a Knights custodians board made up of well respected ex players such as Chief, Bedsy, BK, Sam Stewart to oversee the future direction and "ethos" of the club. If Chief comes out and says that "its a good idea and I'll be looking out for the club", the Knights nannas etc will fall into line. Take it a step further and appoint Tew to head it for several years and even offer Burro a 3 yr contract to head up the club, do that after the board has endorsed it so there is no perception of vested interest.

2 Offer the members a vote on the issue in 4 yrs time, give them an out clause, if they aren't happy with the results in 4 yrs time, then the club is returned to the members, no questions asked. If he does what we expect and the club flourishes, then he'll be returned in a canter, it does however give the members a perceived out.

Johns Magic

Referee
If Tinkler wants to get this through he needs to do two more things to really take the more conservative members concerns away.

1 Assemble a Knights custodians board made up of well respected ex players such as Chief, Bedsy, BK, Sam Stewart to oversee the future direction and "ethos" of the club. If Chief comes out and says that "its a good idea and I'll be looking out for the club", the Knights nannas etc will fall into line. Take it a step further and appoint Tew to head it for several years and even offer Burro a 3 yr contract to head up the club, do that after the board has endorsed it so there is no perception of vested interest.

2 Offer the members a vote on the issue in 4 yrs time, give them an out clause, if they aren't happy with the results in 4 yrs time, then the club is returned to the members, no questions asked. If he does what we expect and the club flourishes, then he'll be returned in a canter, it does however give the members a perceived out.

There is no way he would or should do the second part.

Would you buy something and invest money into it if there was a chance someone else could decide to take it away from you in four years, just because they felt like it?

A completely unreasonable demand, and one I imagine Tinkler would not even entertain.

Alex28

Coach
Agreed JM. If his money is good enough now, it's good enough for the next 10 years. He shouldn't have to risk having to sell it back in 4 years time.

Nuffy

Bench
I'm not suggesting that point two is fair to tinkler but I am trying to be realistic. Getting 75 percent of the vote is tough and you need to win everyone over not just the progressive members.

It's a magnanimous offer which would be difficult to action, the members would need 75 percent to claim the club back but it shows tinkler is willing to back himself.

I only made the point because 75 percent of eligible members is a lot and a hundred votes either way will swing it.

KempoKnight

Juniors
The Newcastle board will meet on Thursday to dissect the $100 million takeover bid from coal magnate Nathan Tinkler described by Knights chief executive Steve Burraston as the best in NRL history.
The meeting was originally scheduled for Wednesday, but was postponed 24 hours to allow all board members to analyse the hefty document in more detail.
Incredibly, the deal described by club chairman Robert Tew as a "mirage" less than a fortnight ago, was tagged by Burraston as the best ever offer to an NRL club.
"If the document reflects what we've discussed, particularly over the last week, then it's probably the best deal that's ever been put to an NRL club," Tinkler said on Wednesday.
Newcastle has roughly 3,000 voting members who will decide whether to accept Tinkler's offer of private ownership or remain as a membership-based community club.
That vote will take place on March 30, on a night Burraston described as the most important in Newcastle history.
"It really will come down to a decision by the members whether they want to stay a community club through membership ownership or whether they're happy to privatise the club and give up that right," he said.
"It's a very significant opportunity and we need to get the full information to (our members).
"We need to give them time to decipher that information and if they need to take advice to do that, they should do that because it is the most important decision ever made in the history of our club."
Meanwhile, Newcastle captain Kurt Gidley revealed that Tinkler had already won over the playing group, who have thrown their support behind the bid.
Gidley said he was confident the Newcastle board had secured the best possible deal from Tinkler Sports Group and said accepting the deal would be the best outcome for the Knights.
"It's getting to the stage now where I think the board has done a great job and certainly has the best outcome for the Newcastle Knights ... It's areal positive to have Nathan behind us and wanting to support us." he said.
"It would be great to have Nathan involved and I know his passion for the Knights is the same as mine ... I'd be happy to see it go ahead.
"He wants the same outcome as me, which is to see the Knights winning another grand final."

source : http://www.nrl.com/newcastle-to-discuss-best-nrl-deal-ever/tabid/10874/newsid/61558/default.aspx

Archduke_Franz

Juniors
I am a member with voting rights and am heading down from the Gold Coast on the 1st of April for the first home game. Im going to change the dates so I can be there for the vote on the 30th and am wondering if anyone knew where the meeting is most likely taking place so I can organise some accomodation close by for a couple of days before my mates arrive on the 1st?

Last edited:

cram

Bench
I would suggest it will end up being at the Panthers again....It is a monumental day that we have install... I am not sure at this stage if I have a vote or not but either way I will be at the venue because the day will be as big as a Grand Final...

Archduke_Franz

Juniors
I would suggest it will end up being at the Panthers again....It is a monumental day that we have install... I am not sure at this stage if I have a vote or not but either way I will be at the venue because the day will be as big as a Grand Final...

Without a doubt mate, Coming down for this vote, first home game, new stadium and against the premiers..Im pumped! I feel like im coming down for a GF. I just really hope both results go in our favour.

aqua_duck

Coach
I hope the players get out there and try push this deal through, hopefully the old codgers will wake up to themselves and realise that Tinkler is not the enemy and the current system clearly isnt working

Aqua it will happen. Believe! The vote night will be tension filled so I think we passionate supporters (ie. everyone on the LU forum) will be a little nervy on the night. I know i will be. It is historic and arguably the most important night in our entire history to date if you remove the GF wins. My question is will the result be known on the night? I hope so because I will not sleep until i know.

Last edited:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I had all but given up hope of it happening on Monday night. But over the last couple of days, I'm beginning to be quietly confident it will get through.

Latest posts