What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To all the people who are defending the Melbourne Storm

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
So because the Storm broke the rules intended to create an even competition, a few other clubs that can bid more than the rest get to gain an 'extra' player. Yeah, that makes sense... :sarcasm:

*sigh* although I didnt actually say it, I implied that clubs would only be able to pick up one player each. And the player selected would be paid out in full for the remainder of the year by the Storm, so that the club that picks them up would be able to get them for free in 2010.

As for who gets the bids, In the NFL, the lowest ranked sides get the first picks in their draft picks. So the Roosters, Sharks, Warriors and Raiders would get the first picks.

Just a suggestion, I dont necessarily like the idea but its an option.

This whole situation could get a little sticky and it might require alot of hard work, but its worth it for the future growth of RL in Victoria.

mickdo

Coach
As for who gets the bids, In the NFL, the lowest ranked sides get the first picks in their draft picks. So the Roosters, Sharks, Warriors and Raiders would get the first picks.

So we should use the NFL draft system all of a sudden? This just gets funnier and funnier :lol:

Well, one suggestion that has been thrown around, is that the Storm choose which players they are to get rid of, pay them out and the rest of the clubs can bid on those released players for the rest of the year and also be able to offer them contracts for following years.

Essentially the clubs that win their bidded players would be getting a free player for this year.

I for one dont see the issue with that suggestion really.

No NRL clubs will offer them much for the rest of the year though. An ESL club could come along with a huge offer for the rest of this year. Chances are we will still lose them.

FamilyFirst

Juniors
No NRL clubs will offer them much for the rest of the year though. An ESL club could come along with a huge offer for the rest of this year. Chances are we will still lose them.

It is probably for the best they go to England. Greg Inglis and co have shown themselves to be complicit in the whole thing. I don't know about you, but I get paid in dollars, not boats and plasmas! These guys are going to stink of sh@#t so bad by the time they are done that we are better off without them!

FF

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
So we should use the NFL draft system all of a sudden? This just gets funnier and funnier :lol:

Whats funny is your inability to read things in full context. But its wrong to laugh at the incapabilities of others, so I wont use the little laughing emoticon to emphasise my invalid point.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Its possible, but the players are still on contract. Clubs often say they will release a player from their contract if its not with an NRL side, im sure it could be done the other way, where they will only be released if its to an NRL club. But I think the Storm would jump at any chance.

Quidgybo

Bench
*edit* P.S collingwood v Essendon got 90k. Melbourne 'rallied' behind scum storm and got 24 k...
So 113,979 people watched football in Melbourne yesterday and over 20% of them chose Rugby League over or in addition to AFL? In any other week I'd call that a massive result for our game.

Leigh.

moik

Bench
cam.jpg

Vicious

Bench
It`s not about defending the Melbourne Storm it`s about defending the game of rugby league. Anyone who thinks what has happened and how it`s been handled is good and that nothing needs to be changed as far as the current salary cap goes obviouly doesn`t care about the game of rugby league. If we continue to to let all our best players go to other codes because our clubs aren`t allowed to pay them what they are worth on the open market we will end up with a second rate competition and will become a feeder sport for the rival codes, is that what everyone wants ???

BackhanderBilly

Juniors
It`s not about defending the Melbourne Storm it`s about defending the game of rugby league. Anyone who thinks what has happened and how it`s been handled is good and that nothing needs to be changed as far as the current salary cap goes obviouly doesn`t care about the game of rugby league. If we continue to to let all our best players go to other codes because our clubs aren`t allowed to pay them what they are worth on the open market we will end up with a second rate competition and will become a feeder sport for the rival codes, is that what everyone wants ???
We can't compete on the open market. We can't compete with England and France because their economies are too strong. There is no real reason to think we can compete with the ARU either.

Unfortunately the NRL is just too similar to rugby and we have to accept being a second class citizen. The AFL thrives because it is immune (owing to uniqueness). Sadly this is just the way it is.

Look on the bright sight. In 40 years there will be 20 million soccer fans in Australia. League and Union are both destined to be minority sports.

Hanscholo

Bench
Don't punish the fans and innocent players, Let Mebourne keep their premierships, record salary breaches in the record books, pay back the fines, have a handicap system, start at -20 points for the next 4 years.

The more i see of you post the more i am convinced you are just geniused man.

By that logic, you could win with a 10 million dollar side for 8 years in a row, get caught, spend 4 waiting. Then start all over again.

Dont punish the fans? f**k you and your sh*t football club.

The more i see of you post the more i am convinced you are just geniused man.

By that logic, you could win with a 10 million dollar side for 8 years in a row, get caught, spend 4 waiting. Then start all over again.

Dont punish the fans? f**k you and your sh*t football club.
he lost me at letting them keep the premierships :crazy:

Lambretta

First Grade
So because the Storm broke the rules intended to create an even competition,

Question

Is an even competition the best thing for Rugby League if we want to grow the sport outside of the traditional heartlands?

Personally, I think that the AFL scheme of allowing non AFL core sides to be given advantages under the cap to be a sensible solution to a playing field that is un-even to begin with.

For years people have complained about the advantage that certain teams are afforded under the cap, be it geographical (size of fanbase) or recruitment wise (size of juniors pool).

With a level cap system there are automatically some teams that have a greater advantage than others.

So what do we do for example if say a South Island New Zealand team come into the competition, or a Perth team etc. Do we say to them, "right, same cap applies to you as to everyone else", or do we say "you are allowed an additional $300,000 per year to spend on players so you can be competative?"

I know the Storm broke the rules and under those rules the penalties will apply. But there have to allowances made to grow the sport outside of the traditional areas. We need to think beyond our boundaries and look at how we can grow.

Latest posts