What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney caught Drink Driving!!

Unfortunately I am a little irrational over drinking and drink driving as my step-father is an alcoholic. And I was actually thinking about Carney's holiday yesterday that he took with some NRL guys in Las Vegas over the summer, and whether he was able to keep off the booze; because he told Phil Gould last year he has a drink problem, he basically admitted he was an alcoholic, and said he wouldn't drink for the rest of his Football career, and hopefully never again in his life, or words to that effect.

I am so disappointed with him, and was disappointed he went to Vegas, he's got to be stronger than this, and if that makes him appear to be a bit uppity, and people think he's turning into a stereotypical rugby guy, then so be it, that's life, if your addicted to alcohol, you obviously can't drink ever.

11Straight

Juniors
Watch for a Bourbon beccy column now climbing up on her moral high horse saying he should do 10 years and how the NRL has a disgusting drinking culture.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Just the traditional start to the NRL season. Can barely go a month without someone getting done for something stupid. Thanks Watmough and Carney. Maybe I expect too much now. Just getting used to it.

What the hell do we have to do with this guy for him to finally get it? You can't handle your piss, and you are stupid enough to get into a car and drive. He nearly needs to have an accident to finally get it. We give him a second chance and the club's supporters falls in love with the guy yet he still can't do a little thinking for himself. Take some f**king responsibility or hand in your resignation. You aren't bigger than the club.

Iafeta

Referee
Seymour got two weeks holiday from playing for walking home drunk from a club.

He did play for the Sharks however and it is ok to screw them over.

Roosters should be applauded for giving Carney another chance after they slap him on the wrist.

On Seymour, the Warriors were warned that the club would face NRL sanctions should Brett in any way stuff up over there (to his credit, he hasn't been involved with anything thus far). Are there similar sanctions with Carney, who has a similar if not worse record than Seymour, is this a horses for courses non rep player v rep star type situation.. ala Tevita Latu versus others?

Big Sam

First Grade
You are throwing a lot of stones from your glass house mate...the Rabbitohs are far from having a clean record, neither has any club for that matter.

The Taylor/Fa'alogo dust-up aside, what other major off-field incidents have Souths players been involved in, in the last 10 years that have brought shame on the code?

And sure, my opinion on the Roosters indescretions is clouded somewhat by the fact that I am a Souths supporter, but Blind Freddy himself could see that this club has a culture problem that has not been sorted despite changes in CEO and coach. So since slaps on the wrist from the NRL won't solve the problem, points deductions must be considered. These frequent and incessant incidents heap as much shame and embarassment on the code as any salary cap rort has.

Ram Man

Juniors
The Taylor/Fa'alogo dust-up aside, what other major off-field incidents have Souths players been involved in, in the last 10 years that have brought shame on the code?

And sure, my opinion on the Roosters indescretions is clouded somewhat by the fact that I am a Souths supporter, but Blind Freddy himself could see that this club has a culture problem that has not been sorted despite changes in CEO and coach. So since slaps on the wrist from the NRL won't solve the problem, points deductions must be considered. These frequent and incessant incidents heap as much shame and embarassment on the code as any salary cap rort has.

Might not be in the last 10 years but you seem to forget one Julian O'Niell $hitting all over a Dubbo hotel not to mention his own team mates belongings.
My point was that you are stating points deductions for 1 club when every club is guilty of misdemenours, Souths included.
I bet you werent asking for a points deduction when O'Neill went on his rampage in Dubbo (again I know it was a while ago but if we are talking past incidents).
Cheating is completely differnet kettle of fish to traffic infringments, like comparing Apples and Oranges.

God-King Dean

Immortal
helen-lovejoy-pic.jpg

David Gallop has to step in here.

Leaving it for the Roosters to sort out is a complete waste of time.

I will email him now.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Carney is a dumb sh*t but this isn't the crime of the century. Just take his license off him til he is in his 70s and tell him to not be such a dumb f**kwit in future. At least he wasn't assaulting people

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors

wont somebody please think of the children!

on a serious note, i think the danger the community was exposed to at .052 (an average limit in itself by western standards UK, US & NZ all .08) is minimal.

i personaly feel for anyone that gets done the next day after a night out as its just so hard to tell. in this situation i believe for anyone the intent is not there, whereas if your caught the night of and you know your drunk and you dirve anyway then my sympathy goes out the window.

i would argue that this incident exposed the community to less danger than watmough doing 50ks over. this is a far less serious. the limit for P platers is relevant to their driving experience, the only reason he is on his p's is due to previous infringments not lack of dirving experience.

if im in charge im more concerned that he was drinking at all especially when he is trying to be fit for the opening round and recovering from injury. needs punishment but not to the extent some people are calling for.

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
Carney is a dumb sh*t but this isn't the crime of the century. Just take his license off him til he is in his 70s and tell him to not be such a dumb f**kwit in future. At least he wasn't assaulting people
His licence or P's are not the problem, it seems he's back on the grog....unless he gets back on the wagon we'll see more stories like this.

Lambretta

First Grade
:lol:

On a more serious note. Poor old Brett Seymour was sacked by the sharks for "drink walking" in Cronulla Mall.

No, he was sacked because the photos showed he was so drunk he was falling over and barely able to walk in Cronulla mall. It was a repeat offence from someone with a serial case of heavy drinking issues.

Bench
No, he was sacked because the photos showed he was so drunk he was falling over and barely able to walk in Cronulla mall. It was a repeat offence from someone with a serial case of heavy drinking issues.
Carney beats Seymour hands down on alcohol related incidents,or driving incidents for that matter.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Yet another offence from the Roosters club. When will the NRL strip points off them? They'll never learn otherwise.

But how would that be fair? - which the NRL has to be.

If a serious club like the Roosters (or Manly or Parra) lost points for a players actions that may effect where that team finished in the top 8, however if a team like souths lost points it would never effect the top 8 positions :sarcasm:

:p

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
wont somebody please think of the children!

on a serious note, i think the danger the community was exposed to at .052 (an average limit in itself by western standards UK, US & NZ all .08) is minimal.

i personaly feel for anyone that gets done the next day after a night out as its just so hard to tell. in this situation i believe for anyone the intent is not there, whereas if your caught the night of and you know your drunk and you dirve anyway then my sympathy goes out the window.

i would argue that this incident exposed the community to less danger than watmough doing 50ks over. this is a far less serious. the limit for P platers is relevant to their driving experience, the only reason he is on his p's is due to previous infringments not lack of dirving experience.

if im in charge im more concerned that he was drinking at all especially when he is trying to be fit for the opening round and recovering from injury. needs punishment but not to the extent some people are calling for.

1 in 4 road fatalities are caused by drivers over the limit.
Drink driving is the single biggest cause of road fatalities.
The rule of thought is just being over the limit itself (0.05... although Carney's is 0.00) is that your chances of having an accident involving injury is double, and the chances of fatal accidents even more.

I understand the point you are trying to make. I personally don't offer pity for drunk drivers having seen family members killed from it. In the context of his personal experiences, it's not a good outcome. Actually, you know what, it's a great outcome because no one was physically hurt by his driving.