What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney Last Chance no.35

Razor

Coach
Having a drink is not illegal. It was a farce that he was suspended. He did nothing wrong. It was his team mate that was accused of assault, not Todd

bileduct

Coach
If the penalties placed on Carney were imposed on every player in the NRL .............
Does every other player in ther NRL have a rap sheet that already includes drink driving, negligent driving, police evasion, destruction of private property and assault?

bileduct

Coach
Did Todd also not pledge to the club that he would abstain from drinking during 2011?

I can already see people saying "so what?"

Why make the pledge then?

Nice Beaver

First Grade
1. He wasn't injured
2. Why should violating a club policy earn a ban from the NRL?

What some people don't seem to be grasping is that people are not upset about this incident in isolation.
Its about the fact this bloke is a repeat upon repeat offender and the Roosters and NRL are happy to do f*ck all about it.
No-one would give a rats about the last incident if it wasn't preceded by four or five (at least) other incidents that he's been up to his neck in.
The Roosters and NRL are responsible for this last incident. By doing nothing after the drink driving (as unintentional as it was) they gave this idiot the green light.

bileduct

Coach
1. He wasn't injured
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...hy-for-anzac-day/story-fn2mcuj6-1226039320068

He was injured.
2. Why should violating a club policy earn a ban from the NRL?
Only weeks earlier he was in the press for his third drink driving offense in less than five years. That pledge he made, do you suppose he made a similar one to the NRL to try and make up for continually bringing the game into disrepute?

Don't think about it too hard.

ellskimore

Juniors
I'll never be surprised by Easts, they pick up the guy because he's sacked for disciplinary reasons by a club that made a moral stance but even if he does something else stupid, breaks club policy or the laaaaaaaw again, The Roosters wont sack him, they never will. Just give him another small inconsequential paid vacation.
Gutless club.

Razor

Coach
Only weeks earlier he was in the press for his third drink driving offense in less than five years. That pledge he made, do you suppose he made a similar one to the NRL to try and make up for continually bringing the game into disrepute?

Don't think about it too hard.

What's it got to do with football?

The AFL have a player who glassed his girlfriend.
The NFL have people convicted and jailed for serious assault
So does the EPL and Serie A
The ESL has previously had 3 players who served jail for assault.
The A-League has a player who had sex with a 13-year old girl (who laughably avoided jail with the "I thought she was 16" excuse")

There was this huge uproar a few years ago when Manly played a player who had served 2 years jail for manslaughter (killing someone while drink driving). Nothing to do with football.

Off field incidents shouldn't come into it.

bileduct

Coach

The AFL have a player who glassed his girlfriend.
The NFL have people convicted and jailed for serious assault
So does the EPL and Serie A
The ESL has previously had 3 players who served jail for assault.
The A-League has a player who had sex with a 13-year old girl (who laughably avoided jail with the "I thought she was 16" excuse").
How many were repeat offenders who had made multiple pledges to multiple clubs and the NRL administration to never do it again, but did anyway?

Nice Beaver

First Grade

Off field incidents shouldn't come into it.

Thats one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.
You can't seriously believe that can you? Surely not.
No no you're right. Sponsors and TV stations throw millions of dollars at rugby league teams and the various rugby league bodies spend millions trying to get young kids to play the game. You're right.....we should just let players do whatever the f*ck they like and not let it effect the image of the sport, the players or its supporters.:roll:

Razor

Coach
Thats one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.
You can't seriously believe that can you? Surely not.
No no you're right. Sponsors and TV stations throw millions of dollars at rugby league teams and the various rugby league bodies spend millions trying to get young kids to play the game. You're right.....we should just let players do whatever the f*ck they like and not let it effect the image of the sport, the players or its supporters.:roll:

Maybe if Gallop didn't carry on when someone takes a piss then the media attention won't be as high. Look at the AFL. Demietrov doesn't comment on anything, and the media doesn't cover it as much.

And I didn't say let players do anything they want. I said what they do off-field should affect their football. Of course if they break the law they should still be punished by the legal system.

HoLLuS

Juniors
Does every other player in ther NRL have a rap sheet that already includes drink driving, negligent driving, police evasion, destruction of private property and assault?

What assault?

Watmough actually has a rap sheet worse than Carney's yet he's never never been suspended. <shock horror>

-assaulted girlfriend
-assaulted sponsor
-urinated on a shop window
-licence disqualified for driving 50km/h over the limit

....all separate incidents which the same can't be said for your list of Carney's, even with the assault added on for good measure.

Last edited:

Pedge1971

First Grade
I can't stand the roosters and think the same about Carney. But the kid has made a massive comeback to the NRL after being away. He almost guided the Roosters to a premiership last year and all he has done wrong this year was :
- drive the morning after a night on the sauce and make an error of judgement. Its not as if he was pissed and decided to drive. Sure, he was on his P's, but he would have genuinely felt that he was fine to drive the next day.
- was out drinking, but not behaving in an anti-social manner at all. In light of what has happened, he probably shouldn't have been.

Matt White from the titans gets done for high range Drink driving and is running out for the titans on sunday.

If the penalties placed on Carney were imposed on every player in the NRL .............

Committing a crime is one thing, but this goes too far. The kid is being set up to fail.

Again, i can;t stand the Roosters.......

How many chances has Matt White been given? Next question.,,,,

bileduct

Coach
What assault?
Pissing on some dude's head at a urinal.

Watmough actually has a rap sheet worse than Carney's yet he's never never been suspended. <shock horror>

-assaulted girlfriend
-assaulted sponsor
-urinated on a shop window
-licence disqualified for driving 50km/h over the limit

....all separate incidents which the same can't be said for your list
Actually, it can. Every incident I listed was isolated. Then there's the 25 or so other incidents, whatever they may be, that the club has not disclosed.

In comparison to Carney, I look at Watmough's rap sheet and think ".. is that it?"

Pedge1971

First Grade
I can't stand the roosters and think the same about Carney. But the kid has made a massive comeback to the NRL after being away. He almost guided the Roosters to a premiership last year and all he has done wrong this year was :
- drive the morning after a night on the sauce and make an error of judgement. Its not as if he was pissed and decided to drive. Sure, he was on his P's, but he would have genuinely felt that he was fine to drive the next day.
- was out drinking, but not behaving in an anti-social manner at all. In light of what has happened, he probably shouldn't have been.

Matt White from the titans gets done for high range Drink driving and is running out for the titans on sunday.

Committing a crime is one thing, but this goes too far. Carney has a record of doing stupid things repeatedly.

What was Matt White's record before this weekend?

Carney is 2 divisions below in terms of offensive behaviour that u clowns seem to ACCUSE every single decent human being of.

badav

Bench

Committing a crime is one thing, but this goes too far. The kid is being set up to fail.

Again, i can;t stand the Roosters.......

Have you got your head up your arse or something? The penalties imposed on Todd Carney aren't put on other players in the NRL because usually they haven't:

- Clocked up 3 drink driving convictions
- Run from police driving whilst disqualified
- Pissed on someones head
- Jumped on cars and subsequently been banned from their hometown in order to avoid a jail sentence.

Any lesser player would have had their NRL career ended a long long time ago for doing those things. Carney has been given special treatment from day 1 at the Raiders up till now, yet fails time and time again to take advantage of it.

To suggest that he's being set up to fail is complete garbage. The guys not f**king 6 years old anymore.