What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney - Origin?

Vicious

Bench
Todd Carney is a class act, always has been, only he is now maturing as a 1st grader. Jarrod Mullen is also a class act and I don`t think there`s much between he and Carney.
Braith Anasta has been back playing ok in an otherwise disappointing Roosters side this season and I reckon he`d still probably have the inside running on the NSW 5/8 spot at this stage, but in saying that i`ve got no doubt Carney or Mullen would be up to it if given the chance.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Bobby DIGital said:
I think Inglis will get a centre spot this year.

I'm not sure how much wing Zillman has played tbh, I dont think he'd have too much of a problem with his pace.

Only problem I'd have with Zillman is his size, but it is not as if Ty Williams and Ryhs Wesser are much bigger. Time will tell. He is a talent!

Mal Meninga

Bench
Mullen played well tonight.... for 1 minute where he kicked the 40/20

The other 79 minutes was all Todd Carney. On the back of his last two weeks he should get the nod for Country(Who else is there?). So long as he keeps playing well for Canberra, it'll happen somewhere down the line... maybe next season.

For now NSW can put Anasta in there.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think this performance just revealed Carney as a contender. Too early to call but this kid improves every game he plays. I do think that NSW will go with a younger 5/8 this year but there's still plenty of footy between here and origin.

QLD would ahve to be favorites this year for sure.
NSW need to pick on form not experiance like in the past.
1. Brett Hodgson
2. Nathan Merritt
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Matt Cooper
5. Matt King
6. Todd Carney
7. Craig Gower
13. Trent Waterhouse
12. Andrew Ryan
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
10. Willie Mason
9. Danny Buderus (c)
8. Mark O'Meley
Bench-
14.Reni Maitua
15. Brent Kite
16. Steve Simpson
17. Anthony Watmough

That would be my team.

Dutchy

Immortal
you saying on form...

B.Stewart
K.Gidley
L.Burt

all beat Hodgson

And Farah would top Buderus

Kite over Omeley

Wheres LoD?

WE all know they won't pick on form.
Buderus hasn't played yet been suspended would be 1st picked he's the captain.
Steward maybe over Hodgson but the other 2 haven't been that good, Burt played very well on Friday but. Wade McKinnon would also be a chance he is in good form.
I hope no roosters get picked they were very ordinary yesterday.
Daniel Holdsworth is from WA does he qualify for anyone?

Dutchy

Immortal
Hopefully Holdsy for NSW over Analstar

didnt think of Mckino..yea..get him in there

mxlegend99

Referee
On current form, i think we'd have to select:

1. Brett Stewart/Wade McKinnon
2. Nathan Merritt
3. Matt King
4. Matt Cooper
5. Luke Rooney
6. Todd Carney
7. Craig Gower
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Danny Buderus
10. Willie Mason
11. Andrew Ryan
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Trent Waterhouse

Bench:
Luke O'Donnell
Reni Maitua
Joel Clinton
Robbie Farah

Jamie Lyon hasn't really nailed down where he is playing at Manly, so i couldn't pick him for centre or 5/8. Matt King is better at centre then the wing, and in the absence of Gasnier, should get first run. Rooney has been really good this year and if he keeps it up, i'd say is ahead of Grothe atm. Merritt has been exceptional the past year, and should definitely be feeling lucky for a spot.

Gower has been really solid this year, with no real competition as yet. Most of the competition is for 5/8. And i don't really care who gets it. Carney, Mullen, Wallace... all 3 would grab the chance and run with it IMO.

The forwards... pretty straight forward. Waterhouse would have been laughable last year, but this year he has been excellent. Great defence, great running and cut down on ball handling errors. I'd opt for Farah as the utility in this team.

I think this team could give QLD a run for its money.

Raider_69

Post Whore
he's a chance but only due to the lack of other options, he is a year off origin level atm, but at the moment, he is the best NSW option so maybe... just maybe

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I don't care what form says I'll be shocked if Minichello is 100% fit and not picked. I don't think NSW will go with a rookie five eight and a rookie halfback, but one spot is definately a chance.

Wouldn't be hard to be ahead of grothe at present he hasn't played.
Rooney was quite good on Friday night just gone and the week before as well.
I think we have to get over Qld in the forwards they will have the best backs and halves but if NSW can get over the top of their forwards than thats the best way to stop them. NSW have some good forwards going round better than what Qld have IMO.

you can't pick 100% on form, their would be no consistency, you need to give the 2006 players an edge for the spot, if we go in with 17 first timers, we'll get 50 run through us.

Marshall_magic said:
you can't pick 100% on form, their would be no consistency, you need to give the 2006 players an edge for the spot, if we go in with 17 first timers, we'll get 50 run through us.

You make a really good point, but, what other choice to nsw have??? The halves at the very least would have to be picked on form at this stage.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Mini's a shoe-in with some semblance of fitness... no-one else for NSW comes close to his consistency

Stranger

Coach
Mullen Carney. Definate long term options.

Funny how after one game 95% of non-canberra fans realise hes a talent.

Raider_69

Post Whore
most people have been ignoring his talent for the sake of giving it to raiders fans talking him up
he was showing signs of this all last year, this year he has made it impossible to ignore it

last week he showed what he can do close to the line, fabulous footwork, this week it was his def touch with the hands and feet that he showed off... he is the whole package, and if dobbo goes through a form slump, the bloke can goal kick aswell

mxlegend99

Referee
A probable backline:
1. Anthony Minichello
2. Matt King
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Matt Cooper
5. Eric Grothe
6. Braith Anasta
7. Craig Gower

We will go with something that is nearly identical to what we had last year, only this time, these guys are in worse form then last year. If we select even 2 new guys in our backline on form, i would be cheering. NSW selectors are f**king morons.