What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney & Steve Irwin under investigation?

C.P

Juniors
Naiqama's going to be pissed, Carney the imbecile has now snatched his title for the most charged NRL player, he should be punished by being sent to play AFL

Raider_69

Post Whore
Stranger said:
Don't sack him... shoot him. :p

Carney is a f**kwit of a person aye raiduh ;-)

Damn shame though, kids got talent.

Thats the thing, he has always come across as a good bloke to me, but clearly he has some issues he needs to address, he has had a long running battle with his alcohol habits and cars... tbh im filthy on him, he owes this club alot after the first incident, and this is how he repays them? this is how he repays his fans who support him each and every week? by pissing away his talent with stupidity?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Stranger said:
Carney could actually be another owen cragie by the way hes going...

the thought has crossed my mind more then once in the past few hours
hypothetically if he has played his last game of NRL footy, imo he takes owens crown for biggest waste of talent ive ever seen... Carney has the ability to be one of the truely great halves of his era...

im hoping, and praying that some how some way he spared a jail term and the club sticks with him, as it will do us no good to sack him only to have saints, tigers, newie or someone else snap him up.

innsaneink

Referee
Gee...you'd have to think he'd do his time hard if in fact hes unlucky enough to get any, young, famous, attractive to a certain element...and those girly starry tatts will come in for some attention too i'm sure.

perverse

Referee
if the allegations are true (which is likely seeing as he handed himself in) and he is the driver of the car... then he should do time.

just what the game needs... another player going to gaol... i actually feel a bit for the raiders fans... i'd be gutted if this were mullen.

Im gutted, but its not the end of the world, every raiders fan and his dogs knows that the club would be setback at least 4-5 years if they sacked him, and going by a recent article from leaguehq, the nrl aren't going to get involved beyond what they are at present.

smeghead

Bench
Just sad.

He is a git as many have said.

My utmost sympathy to Raiders fans. You deserve better than this. The club, if they choose to keep him on, should crack down hard on the kid. Stupidity like this after the club has stuck by him is just disgraceful

sydraider

First Grade
Stranger said:
Raiduh, You sound as though ur about to neck urself over this :lol:!

He wouldnt be the only one by a country mile. Carney is the player we have been waiting for the last 10 years. He is a local talent. Raiders recruitment has either been local, qlder or kiwi pretty much since our inception. We have no chance of nabbing any bright future prospects from qld or nz anymore, the storm/titans/warriors will beat us to the punch everytime. The common demoninator these days is "its hard for the raiders to attract players to their club", you get a generation player like Carney here, who is a local junior and only to lose him to absolute dumb f**k behaviour is a shame of the highest order.

This will no doubt set us back 5-10 years.

f**k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yosh64

Juniors
Some facts:

Cops attempted to pull them over for a momentary loss of traction. The car sped off and pulled over in a dead-end road where the driver jumped out and ran. The passenger (irwin) stayed and co-operated with the police.

Later Carney turned himself into police and has a summons to attend court.

I feel for him, hes young and makes some stupid mistakes on the road. But i feel more for the raiders cause they have banked so much on him and this will hurt them heaps.

According to the report i read the raiders are likely to bone him as they dont want to be seen as a club that harbours dilinquent players (costigan, tilse, carney).

I cant see how he wont get jail. Courts hate it when people dont care about the punishment and ignore the court. He was warned last time that if he had returned .15 instead of .145 he would have been sent to jail and now he has driven disqualified and lead cops on a speed chase. He'll do some time for sure, they cant give him less of a punishment then last time.

effnic

Bench
There is that many contradictions in this thread its hilarious for eg dodge and scottyj in the matai thread saying wat a dick he is and all other names but in here saying leave a private matter alone and he is human blah blah blah. Scottyj your such an imposter and i will find you out, so far my guess is you, wittyfag and lockyno1 are all the same accounts.

legend

Coach
yosh64 said:
Some facts:

Cops attempted to pull them over for a momentary loss of traction. The car sped off and pulled over in a dead-end road where the driver jumped out and ran. The passenger (irwin) stayed and co-operated with the police.

Later Carney turned himself into police and has a summons to attend court.

I feel for him, hes young and makes some stupid mistakes on the road. But i feel more for the raiders cause they have banked so much on him and this will hurt them heaps.

According to the report i read the raiders are likely to bone him as they dont want to be seen as a club that harbours dilinquent players (costigan, tilse, carney).

I cant see how he wont get jail. Courts hate it when people dont care about the punishment and ignore the court. He was warned last time that if he had returned .15 instead of .145 he would have been sent to jail and now he has driven disqualified and lead cops on a speed chase. He'll do some time for sure, they cant give him less of a punishment then last time.

Be that as it may, Carney's latest f**k up was in the ACT, not NSW so he may be a first offender in Canberra, which in no way excuses his actions but I think it will save him from a custodial sentence.

His future with the club is in the balance but tbh, I don't think he really cares about that judging by how he treats the club, fellow players and supporters.

f**k the other dunce off as well. It was his ute and he knew Carney was unlicenced so he should go as well.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Raiders star faces axe and jail after police chase

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/rai...er-police-chase/2007/05/19/1179497332200.html

Adrian Proszenko | May 20, 2007

RAIDERS playmaker Todd Carney is facing the sack and a jail term after allegedly leading police on a high-speed chase through Canberra.
Carney has been charged with failing to stop when directed by police, negligent driving and driving while disqualified over an incident that occurred at 5.50pm on Friday.
The 20-year-old allegedly tried to outrun the police through the streets of Bruce after they noticed a "momentary loss of traction" and attempted to pull him over in Thynne Street.
It's alleged that Carney ran away after the vehicle was stopped in a dead-end street while teammate Steve Irwin, the owner of the Holden utility, remained inside and co-operated with police. Carney later reported to police.
Irwin had not been charged last night. The club said both players would be unavailable for selection until the matter had been resolved.
"The Raiders are working with ACT Police and now need to let the investigation take its course," Raiders CEO Simon Hawkins said in a statement.
"Until this time, both players have been suspended indefinitely and their future with the club will be determined at a later date."
If the accusations are proved, the Raiders are almost certain to sack Carney, who was on his last chance after a string of off-field incidents.
He had already twice been charged with drink-driving, most recently in December when a night on the drink spun dangerously out of control.
On that occasion, he was caught doing burnouts and driving at speeds of up to 100kmh through the streets of Goulburn after a binge-drinking session. When the matter was heard in court in March, magistrate Geraldine Beattie said she would have locked Carney up had he recorded a high-range blood alcohol reading of 0.15. He was a shandy away after registering 0.145.
After the incident, the Raiders warned him he was on his last chance and that his contract would be terminated if there were any further indiscretions.
Two months ago, he told The Sun-Herald the prospect of jail time was a wake-up call.
"It didn't sit right in my stomach," he said. "I learned that it was time to grow up and that I shouldn't take anything for granted.
"You can lose things very quickly. I'm on my last chance. There's no more chances - I'll be gone. It's time to grow up quickly.
"It means a lot that they kept me at the club and had that faith in me.
"That's a big thing I have to play for, thanking them for keeping me at the club. I brought the club down and I need to repay them."
After inspiring the Raiders to victory with a man-of-the-match performance against South Sydney last Saturday, Carney said he held out a glimmer of hope of a call-up to the NSW team at some stage of the State of Origin series.
But there is every possibility the career of the precociously talented half will be terminated.
Raiders officials, not wanting the club to gain a reputation as a bad-boy haven after offering lifelines to cast-offs Neville Costigan and Dane Tilse, have made it clear they wouldn't tolerate another indiscretion.
NRL chief executive David Gallop said he would continue to liaise with the club as the matter unfolded.
"I spoke to the Raiders last night and again this morning," he said.
"I'm comfortable with the process they're going through and we'll wait to hear from them for further developments."
Source: The Sun-Herald

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
legend said:
Be that as it may, Carney's latest f**k up was in the ACT, not NSW so he may be a first offender in Canberra, which in no way excuses his actions but I think it will save him from a custodial sentence.

Nope, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. His previous court appearances in NSW will be treated in entirely the same way as if they had been in the ACT.

I cannot speculate about Carney without more information, but prima facie another alleged offender in this circumstance would be looking at a custodial sentence, most likely weekend detention as a 20 year old - but I would not rule out full time incarceration.

Latest posts