What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney & Steve Irwin under investigation?

legend

Coach
Why is it a joke? We've invested a lot of time and money in him and he were sacked by Canberra, he'd be picked up by another club in a flash and the Raiders and their fans are the ones worse off, not Carney.

I know you are looking a for a scapegoat because Tilse was made to be one after the Bathurst incident, but he was expendable just like Wayne Richards was after the drug bust.

Still, you blokes pounced on Sargent so what comes around, goes around.

KempoKnight

Juniors
So what if you have invested a lot of time and money into him? your club will be extreme hypocrites to keep him within the club if he is found guilty.

effnic

Bench
I feel sorry for the guy for some weird reason, he seems to be a good bloke why couldnt of happened to someone like Withers thats guy is a f**king cat who abuses the sh*t out of his own players for knocking the ball on.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Bottom line is he's a very talented player and the future for the Raiders. So unless he murders someone they ain't going to sack him. However if he was a talentless hack then he'd already be gone.

Call that what you will, but every club would administer the same double standards.

KempoKnight said:
So what if you have invested a lot of time and money into him? your club will be extreme hypocrites to keep him within the club if he is found guilty.

How so? Because we like to give players the chance to re-deem themselves after off field misdemeanors? Give yourself a stiff uppercut son.

bboy_insane

Juniors
VictorTheViking said:
How so? Because we like to give players the chance to re-deem themselves after off field misdemeanors? Give yourself a stiff uppercut son.

"This is your last chance Todd Carney or we will rip up your contract!!"

'Ok sirs, I promise it won't happen again'

"Well, now that we think about it, we were full of sh*t and the sun shines out of your ass Todd Carney, so this is your REAL LAST CHANCE"

'Ok sirs, I promise it won't happen again'

Alex28

Coach
The Raiders response does scream of desperation to keep him - which I totally understand. He is an immense talent.

However that response is teaching him nothing. It is telling him he is bigger than the club, and that he can do what he wants, embarras the club and the league (let alone himself) and that he still has a future at the club.

In saying that...St George have set a massive precedent in Naiqama in not sacking him despite guilt proven and most likely a jail sentance occuring. The NRL is even worse in not insisting that the guy is sacked.

Just because it doesn't suit the club to lose the player does not mean that they should not do the right thing. Sargeant should have been sacked and de-registered. Naiqama should be sacked and de-registered. Carney should be sacked and de-registered.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Unfortunately Todd has put the club in a lose-lose situation.

If they don't sack him, it would be weak based on previous insinuations that he was on his last chance.

But if they do he'll be wearing another club's shirt by the end of the week and all Canberra have done is cut a wonderfully talented player from their books.

Suffice to say I don't envy Canberra officials or fans at the moment.

Canberra's best hope (this might sound strange) is that he is found guilty, does some sort of gaol time and hopefully learns his lesson from the punishment dished out to him by the court, not the Raiders.

RABK

Referee
You Raider fans are deadset f**kwits, honestly.

If this was Andrew Johns or Willie Mason, at ANY stage of their careers you dicks would be screaming for them to be sacked, jailed and banned from RL forever.

And don't deny it. But because it's Todd Carney, your wonder boy, it's a tragedy to league and we must keep him in the game especially for Canberra's sake?

Get real, seriously. I hope he signs with someone else.

badav

Bench
Alex28 said:
The Raiders response does scream of desperation to keep him - which I totally understand. He is an immense talent.

However that response is teaching him nothing. It is telling him he is bigger than the club, and that he can do what he wants, embarras the club and the league (let alone himself) and that he still has a future at the club.

Compare that to what would happen if they sacked him.

He would be signed up by another club straight away, as there are plenty of 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th chance clubs out there (ironically the raiders being one of them).

what would that teach him. i do think the best outcome would be for him to be sacked and de-registered. but if it didnt happen to Wes Naiquama then it wont happen to Todd Carney.

Timbo

Staff member
I would be devestated to lose him, and I think he deserves to be sacked.

However.

The only entity effected by a termination of his contract is the Canberra Raiders football club. Carney would not struggle to find another gig in the NRL. Talent like his means clubs will overlook indiscretions such as this. Of course, if he ends up in gaol (real chance) then its a moot point, but assuming he somehow does not get locked up, here's what I propose.

I think legend hit the nail on the head early in the piece - He needs to be suspended without pay, not for some piddling amount of time, but for the duration of season 2007, and forced to do community work on the side.

Deprived of his life as a high-profile sportsman, and being forced to get a real job to pay the bills might be enough to knock some sense into the little bastard.

The Raiders are the only loser in the situation by sacking Carney. Carney is the only loser if he is suspended without pay for the season.

Tom Shines

First Grade
BTW, I don't mean sacking. As I said, that was a lose-lose situation.
Either suspend him without pay, or give him eight weeks like Tits gave to Walker.

Alex28

Coach
badav said:
Compare that to what would happen if they sacked him.

He would be signed up by another club straight away, as there are plenty of 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th chance clubs out there (ironically the raiders being one of them).

what would that teach him. i do think the best outcome would be for him to be sacked and de-registered. but if it didnt happen to Wes Naiquama then it wont happen to Todd Carney.
Did you even read the rest of my post? I said the NRL has to de-register him for a set period to make the sacking effective! I said that the Raiders sacking him and someone signing him straight away would teach him nothing! I said that the Dragons treatment of Wes Naiqama has set a precedent!

Your response added nothing that I hadn't already said...

legend

Coach
It's funny how all the Knights fans are the ones screaming the loudest for Carney to be sacked but when Macdougall and O'Davis broke the rules, they were kept on by the club and some fringe first grader was given the arse.

If you want to talk about double standards Knights fans, look in your own backyard first. Your history of dealing with your own high profile players reeks of hypocrisy.

Canberra has a history of taking a hard line with players and one Ben Kennedy was punted by the club only to be signed by you guessed it, the Newcastle Knights.

If the Knights had Johns and Mullen still playing, you'd all be singing a different tune but because you have money to spend and need a five eighth, you are all up in arms of Carney's abhorrent behaviour.

Give me a f**king break please!!!!!!!!!!

ps, remember Carney owned Johns and Mullen earlier this year so I can understand why you would want him.

KempoKnight

Juniors
VictorTheViking said:

Lol your an idiot, he was given those chances before so how about you go read about about things said between your "star" player and your club about his little car issues.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Legend said:
It's funny how all the Knights fans are the ones screaming the loudest for Carney to be sacked but when Macdougall and O'Davis broke the rules, they were kept on by the club and some fringe first grader was given the arse.

If you want to talk about double standards Knights fans, look in your own backyard first. Your history of dealing with your own high profile players reeks of hypocrisy.

Canberra has a history of taking a hard line with players and one Ben Kennedy was punted by the club only to be signed by you guessed it, the Newcastle Knights.

If the Knights had Johns and Mullen still playing, you'd all be singing a different tune but because you have money to spend and need a five eighth, you are all up in arms of Carney's abhorrent behaviour.

Give me a f**king break please!!!!!!!!!!

ps, remember Carney owned Johns and Mullen earlier this year so I can understand why you would want him.

:lol: I was wondering how long it would take for it to turn into a Knights-bashing thread. It did take quite a deal longer than expected though. But FFS Legend, you're telling us to look in our own backyard, perhaps you had best take some of your own advice. This has nothing to do with the Knights, its about the Raiders, Todd Carney as immensely talented as he is, and to a lesser extent Steve Irwin. Carney f**ked up, he needs to deal with the consequences.

Btw what the hell does your last comment have to do with this topic?

Latest posts