What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney & Steve Irwin under investigation?

Raider Azz

Bench
Poffosbiggestfan said:
:lol: I was wondering how long it would take for it to turn into a Knights-bashing thread. It did take quite a deal longer than expected though. But FFS Legend, you're telling us to look in our own backyard, perhaps you had best take some of your own advice. This has nothing to do with the Knights, its about the Raiders, Todd Carney as immensely talented as he is, and to a lesser extent Steve Irwin. Carney f**ked up, he needs to deal with the consequences.

Btw what the hell does your last comment have to do with this topic?
his last comment has plenty to do with it because you wankers are here on your high horse preaching and calling us hypocrites, when you know as well as i do that if we did sack carney your scum of a club would be the first in line to sign him.

sharko

Juniors
Given that the stats for fatalaties among young Australian males for neg driving or drunk driving are so high he may well be made an example of..on one hand the beak can give him a slap on the wrist and a suspended sentence with some community service and a further suspension of driving privileges. The risk for the beak is the perception that he is going easy on the bloke because he is a prominent league player and the club have offered back handers to the cops and the beak to go easy on him, and it would be a bad mesasage to other youths who may wish to conduct themselves in this fashion.

Alternatively he can bang him up for a couple of months and then have a long probation period of 3 years..this would send a message to the idiot footballer that he is just that an idiot and also a message to the young community that this conduct will result in jail.

In a few months poor old Carney may be playing "leap frog"with some lifers in the clink..not a good look!

legend

Coach
smeghead said:
If there is a party at O'Haras he won't be there and Buggarelli will be selling gear, Carney doing burnouts in the carpark, Costigan will be glassing people, Tilse climbing through the window of the daughter of the neighbours flat, Schiff shooting roids in the corner, Gibbs pickking a fight with police, Craig Field buying off Boogs, Hopoate violating other men with his fingers and Laffranchi fishing around the fridge for vegetables.

I think that covers everyone so if we can get back to topic of the possibility of a very young, very talented footballer possibly pissing it all away that would be nice

I agree, we should stay on topic but when hypocrites from other clubs try and sling some mud ast us, well they can expect a bit more back in return.

Only the Broncos and Cowboys can say they have nothing to worry about at this stage as pretty much every ohter club has taken the soft line with their wayward players with an alleged sexual assualt and assault of a police officer hanging over the head of the Tigers.

smeghead

Bench
Agree. I think with Gibbs it is a wait and see from the courts as no admission of guilt has been made to my understanding.

The club has had a history of dealing with things harshly ala Field and McGuiness but it is a matter of wait and see.

By the article on NRL.com it would seem Canberra are not going to be dumping Carney even if he does serve time

macavity

Referee
legend said:
I agree, we should stay on topic but when hypocrites from other clubs try and sling some mud ast us, well they can expect a bit more back in return.

Only the Broncos and Cowboys can say they have nothing to worry about at this stage as pretty much every ohter club has taken the soft line with their wayward players with an alleged sexual assualt and assault of a police officer hanging over the head of the Tigers.

you love pointing at the Knights, but we have never had a player charged with anything.

we have sacked a cheat (Richards - not a fring FGer btw...) and also an alleged wrongdoer (Tilse, and damn did that hurt, he is a star).

O'Davis and Doogs were a completely different situation as was Kennedy, and Sargent is on a very tight leash.

im not having a go at you guys or saying my club is perfect, and I think sheer pragmatism says you should hang on to Carney.

But lets get some perspective here.

Carney will probably end up inside for a few months - whether he deserves it for being an idiot, well who knows. If he was a gun employee in another profession, would he lose his job / be fined / etc? probably not.

IMO he deserves no further punishment than the court dishes out. Double Jeopardy doesnt sit well with me.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
macavity said:
you love pointing at the Knights, but we have never had a player charged with anything.

we have sacked a cheat (Richards - not a fring FGer btw...) and also an alleged wrongdoer (Tilse, and damn did that hurt, he is a star).

O'Davis and Doogs were a completely different situation as was Kennedy, and Sargent is on a very tight leash.

im not having a go at you guys or saying my club is perfect, and I think sheer pragmatism says you should hang on to Carney.

But lets get some perspective here.

Carney will probably end up inside for a few months - whether he deserves it for being an idiot, well who knows. If he was a gun employee in another profession, would he lose his job / be fined / etc? probably not.

IMO he deserves no further punishment than the court dishes out. Double Jeopardy doesnt sit well with me.

Peter Peters will be on Carney's doorstep within minutes - or at least until a Maccas early opener pops up.

t-ba

Post Whore
Rockin Ronny said:
Peter Peters will be on Carney's doorstep within minutes - or at least until a Maccas early opener pops up.

:lol:. Maybe Flo can go and try and recruit him for Norths PL...

jed

First Grade
macavity said:
If he was a gun employee in another profession, would he lose his job / be fined / etc? probably not.

IMO he deserves no further punishment than the court dishes out.

Those two points are very important in this case. To look at the 2nd issue first, as well as any punishment that's handed down by the courts (custodial sentence, fine, community service etc), he's also been publicly shamed - if you or I were to do the same, it's highly unlikely that we'd make the papers, let alone have 4 pages of the Sunday paper (including the front page) devoted to the story in our home town.

Most jobs respect the divide between your work life and your provate life. Unless your indiscretions out of office hours directly affect your working, they have no need to become involved. How many people are charged with drunk driving or negligent driving each month? How many of them lose their jobs as a consequence? Unfortunately, in our tall-poppy bashing society, we hold up sportsmen and other celebrities as being "role models", when in actual fact they're as human as anyone else, and as capable as the next person of screwing up.

legend

Coach
Mac, I was merely retaliating due to the fact the most critical of Carney have been Knights fans and both on and off the field, the Knights haven't been angels themselves. I was pointing out the hypocrisy of Knights fans who are deathriding Carney so the Knights can sign him. It's nothing as noble as doing the right thing.

jc155776

Coach
legend Only the Broncos and Cowboys can say they have nothing to worry about at this stage as pretty much every ohter club has taken the soft line with their wayward players with an alleged sexual assualt and assault of a police officer hanging over the head of the Tigers.[/quote said:
bullsh*t.

Sharks made an example of Latu and other clubs should follow.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Raider Azz said:
his last comment has plenty to do with it because you wankers are here on your high horse preaching and calling us hypocrites, when you know as well as i do that if we did sack carney your scum of a club would be the first in line to sign him.
I think you will find that I was the one who said we should wait for the whole thing to run its course before we start saying whether or not he should be sacked or not ;-)

super_coach

First Grade
Why should the green frogs flick him,so one of our predators like the eagles or the chooks snap him up. The raiders are the team that has stuck by him, so they are the team that should be rewared by his class as a footballer.

Maybe stand him down for 2007,give him community service work and let him start a fresh 2008

smeghead

Bench
Keep Carney, despite his mistakes

EXCLUSIVE by Andrew Dunemann
Canberra Raiders player
May 21, 2007

PLEASE don't sack him. That would be the first thing the Canberra players would say to the club heirachy if asked about Todd Carney.
As part of the senior leadership group at the Raiders, that is definitely what I will be expressing today when our group meets to discuss the situation.
Todd is a great kid who would bend over backwards to do anything for you.
There, I guess, lies some of the problem. Sometimes he commits to do things without thinking about the consequences, but haven't we all.
Todd relies on his instincts off the field as much as he does on it. The problem is doing what he does on the field comes naturally whereas off it, it's perhaps not the case.
He hasn't had a chance really to learn about life skills having gone straight from school into the NRL spotlight, and within a few years to being the main man for the Raiders.
What he has done is silly, and there are no excuses for it, but I also think people who associate with him have a responsibility as well, like not giving him their keys knowing that it could lead to dire consequences.
I know there will be plenty of people out there who are quick to jump on his back. These same people are normally the ones who grow old and forget what it is like to be 20.
If they take a moment to reflect back on the mistakes they made at the same age then they might just realise that for most people these things are a part of growing up.
I think sometimes we can be hypocrites in cases like this. We've all made mistakes, it's just many of them were out of the public eye.
The Raiders as a club have done a great job bringing Todd through this far, and that would all seem a waste if he was let go. Every other club in the competition would want his signature.
He would be picked up tomorrow, and be back to haunt the Raiders in someone else's colours.
I understand there comes a time when enough is enough. All I hope for is that time hasn't come yet for Todd Carney

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21767121-23214,00.html

Seems as though Irwin may be sent down the river on this one

Latest posts