What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney

BringTheNoise

Juniors
All behaviour and health issues aside, I'm not convinced he's the right style of player to compliment our captain and incumbent no. 6 Gareth Widdop.

giboz71

First Grade
All behaviour and health issues aside, I'm not convinced he's the right style of player to compliment our captain and incumbent no. 6 Gareth Widdop.

Correct. Is he an organising half? No. More like a 5/8 and we already have Widdop.

So, if we're talking about a partner to Widdop, then no. We're back to the 2 5/8's we had when Benji was here.

As a replacement for Widdop, then that is a different conversation.

St Georgio

Juniors
I reckon give Benji a 1 year contract( the original offer) , you know Benji won't piss in his mouth! No too Carney!

nortyboi3

Juniors
Signing Todd Carney will be like when we first signed Benji, opting to go for a short term fix when the problem is much bigger. Sure, we might see a season or 2 at best of individual brilliance (similar to someone else....) but then we'll get a few seasons of mediocrity and injuries.
I think it's better to look long term and sign Jackson Hastings, although Todd is proven at NRL level, he is a 'has been' similar to Benji to an extent. Although Hastings has perceived attitude problems ( personally do not agree as i thought he was used as a scapegoat for the Rooster's average season) he has so many years in front of himself and someone we could potentially rebuild this club around with his stability and control.

SaintHarry

Juniors
So i guess theres no point in commenting till the end of 2017.. we need a coach first and foremost if that doesnt happen we could have foran and Thurston greg inglis and taumalolo and still get tonked

Zucchini

Juniors
Signing Todd Carney will be like when we first signed Benji, opting to go for a short term fix when the problem is much bigger. Sure, we might see a season or 2 at best of individual brilliance (similar to someone else....) but then we'll get a few seasons of mediocrity and injuries.
I think it's better to look long term and sign Jackson Hastings, although Todd is proven at NRL level, he is a 'has been' similar to Benji to an extent. Although Hastings has perceived attitude problems ( personally do not agree as i thought he was used as a scapegoat for the Rooster's average season) he has so many years in front of himself and someone we could potentially rebuild this club around with his stability and control.

I'm sure I heard that Hastings left us because he was ill disciplined, not getting on with the playing group and his ego was out of control. I heard there wasn't too many sad to see the back of him. Or am I confusing him with someone else, perhaps? Anyone else hear that?

Dragsters

First Grade
I'm sure I heard that Hastings left us because he was ill disciplined, not getting on with the playing group and his ego was out of control. I heard there wasn't too many sad to see the back of him. Or am I confusing him with someone else, perhaps? Anyone else hear that?

Not sure if it was why he left. Probably more to do with his old man Kev being a rooters legend.

As for the rest, yes have heard that many times over from various people.

mobels

Juniors
If we're really intent on signing him i'd be fine with a 1 year deal as there is no one else on the market thats any good and we have no one ready to take the number 7 spot. However any longer then that and were absolute idiots and are going to be in the exact same position as we have been in the last 4 years.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

100% correct he was a deadset tosser.
Hopefully more humble now.
If so worth a go.
Otherwise a big no
But main reason for leaving is that he wanted to play with his old mans club

FlameThrower

Bench
Carney burnt his bridges and was talk of him suing the NRL at one stage. The guy is out of mind out of sight now....leave it that way.
Regarding Hastings. He is young has talent has been bought down to earth with a thump after the who - ha of joking the Roosters.
Of the the 2 I'd go for Hastings as looking into the future...and after all he was a Dragons junior. Could be a handy utility playing half or hooker?
Seems like a no brainer to me, but for some reason he is not even in our radar?

since77

Juniors
Recent reports from France on Carney indicate he's still got behavioural issues. We'd be mad to even consider him.

MilanDragon

Juniors
By signing carney we are taking a 'risk', he isn't even a 'safe' signing that you know will get the job done.. Which is something you would look for when signing a 30 year old. Much like we did Marshall.

For me, if we take a 'risk' it may as well be on a youngster we can see develop and have a long term gain out of, not just 1 season.

I'd back Hutch. Even Hastings or Mccrone, rather than waste cap space on carney. Then re-asses in 2018.

Walpole

Juniors
Signing Carney or keeping Marshall is just trying to turn back time. Forget about them.

Surely Hutch has to be given a go. He's about to play halfback in a reserve grade grand final so he must be doing something right. At least give him a full off season and the chance to start from round 1 next year. I don't know if he's the one but with no-one else on the horizon I'd like to see him at least get the chance.

Interesting article today about Cooper Cronk and how he got his start as Melbourne's half. Apparently all Bellamy initially wanted from him was to make his tackles and have a good kicking game. Can coaching really be that simple?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/th...y/news-story/084156f7476fee3243897df8bec01463

As for Hastings I could see him being a very useful no.14, playing as a back-up hooker and covering the halves, but only if he's not quite the dickhead people say he is.

wayne57

Juniors
I hope this is just media BS.

This would be the same as sacking Price and employing Mcgregor.

It looks familiar, Get rid of Benji hire Carney.

Both players in their day could turn a game by a bit of brilliance and win you a game.

That was then, but now time and injury has taken its toll and it would be utterly stupid to even think this is a smart option, if anything we could have kept Benji at least he did not carry any off field baggage around with him.

I for one think if we can not secure a decent half then we should look at what we already have such as Mann or Drew etc or look at who is available in QLD Intrust Cup or NSW Premier League as a stop gap measure until someone becomes available and not fork out a large chunk of the salary cap on the likes of Carney.

Last edited:

RedVDave

First Grade
NO!

Injury-prone.
Hasn't played NRL in 3 years
Old.
A massive, massive immature overrated doucheb@g

giboz71

First Grade
Having Hutch or even Hastings as our long term half is surely dependent on how either will complement Widdop.

Either combination looks too pedestrian to me. Neither will have defences shaking in their boots.

Hutch looks ok if his only job is to direct the team around and kick us out of trouble. His left boot actually is pretty good. Hastings plays the same sort of game. But we need a proper running 5/8 in the mould of Milford/Morgan/Austin. Which indicates to me, Widdop is our biggest problem when trying to find half to complement him. He's only ever succeeded with the best half in the comp in Cooper Cronk.

Hence the development of Jai Field is crucial.

BennyV

Referee
Having Hutch or even Hastings as our long term half is surely dependent on how either will complement Widdop.

Either combination looks too pedestrian to me. Neither will have defences shaking in their boots.

Hutch looks ok if his only job is to direct the team around and kick us out of trouble. His left boot actually is pretty good. Hastings plays the same sort of game. But we need a proper running 5/8 in the mould of Milford/Morgan/Austin. Which indicates to me, Widdop is our biggest problem when trying to find half to complement him. He's only ever succeeded with the best half in the comp in Cooper Cronk.

Hence the development of Jai Field is crucial.
I personally think Hastings is a better choice than Hutch, more of an organiser and that ego of his will come in handy when directing troops and leading the team.

Regarding Field - Widdop only has 1 more year before his contract ends and Field is definitely more than a year away from being a consistent first grader. Need to keeo other options in mind; maybe Hutch takes over from Widdop in 2018 then moves to 13 when Field is ready.

This is why the Pathways Director position is so important, als why is essential that Mary gets the f**k out.

Sigurd

Juniors
The biggest argument against Todd Carney is that he is a dickhead.

I actually played a few games against Toddy at junior level. Seen him out on the piss many times and had a few schooners with him. I can tell you this - in terms of being a dickhead he is no worse than any other NRL player out there. I've seen many players in far worse form but for whatever reason with the media some players have a target on their heads while others are protected species.

So pissing on some random guy in a bar and then pissing in one's own mouth in pretty much the equivalent of pissing on the tire of a police car and getting into a little push and shove with some aggressive bouncers? Hmmmm interesting.

Latest posts