What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney

The bloke is a winner. When he retires he'll never be spoken of in the same breath as your Thurstons or Johns or Fittlers or Lockyers - but Roosters Sharks and to a lesser extent Warriors fans won't forget what he brought to their clubs.

One of my all time favourite players.
Yep. 100% agreement from me.

I dont wish Carney on anyone, including the Dragons.

The bloke is a winner. When he retires he'll never be spoken of in the same breath as your Thurstons or Johns or Fittlers or Lockyers - but Roosters Sharks and to a lesser extent Warriors fans won't forget what he brought to their clubs.

One of my all time favourite players.

When the Sharks conceded the try that put the Storm in front. The player that made sure that the team didn't drop it's bundle was James Maloney.

Apparently told the team "If you thought the GF was totally going to go all our own way then you thought wrong. We have 15 minutes to get the lead back now let's go get them."

Or something to that effect.

Valheru

Coach
It's funny how thinks worked out for the better for easts and sharks but having said that the media agenda against him was ridiculous. He was a complete imbecile at the raiders but from memory the below was his wrap sheet at the chooks

1. Lighting a fart on fire
2. DUI
3. Being with anthony watts hours prior to him belting his mrs.
4. Breaking a drinking ban

Has the hide to sue the Sharks for being sacked.

If he thought he was living up to his end of the contract and conducting himself as a professional footballer and properly preparing for games then he has no reality of standards.

A kid that never grew up.

Congrats to the NRL for not letting him back.

Hopefully that helps the Sharks case against him.
I'd like to know all the reasons Catalan sacked him too. Even though everyone knows he's a repeat offender it may show it was even more so justified (the Sharks sacking).

adamkungl

Immortal
Yep. 100% agreement from me.

I dont wish Carney on anyone, including the Dragons.

I was a big fan of Carney. Even through 2013-14 I thought he had more raw talent than Jimmy. Maybe he does. But the fact is his attitude has never been tough enough or consistent enough to hack first grade footy. He was missing in his only grand final, missing in the Origin games he played ( you can argue Pearce was poor, we've heard it all before, but Carney was straight up unsighted), and is incapable of recovery from any failures.

Here and now, he's injury prone, off the pitch more often than he's on it, and well past his peak performance, with none of the wisdom that comes with experience.

It would be a desperate club indeed to play him in first grade in 2017.

This article, published on the ABC News website, chronicles his off field incident up unbtil he was sacked by the Sharks in 2014 - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-29/todd-carney27s-history-of-trouble/5558332

According to the UK's Daily Mail -

Despite being dropped by the Cronulla club in 2014 over the 'bubbling' incident, Carney signed a three-year contract with France's Super League club Catalans Dragons.

But according to French website, L'independent, Carney and Catalans Dragons teammate Dave Taylor are reportedly on their way out of the club, due to both injury, and off-field behaviour.

Carney is signed to Catalans until the end of 2018, however it is understood that deal may not be seen out.

'Recruitment will be on behaviour,' Catalans coach Laurent Frayssinous told L'independent.

The article in today's Telegraph mention "off field behaviour" as why Catalans are letting him go, but nothing specific is being cited by anyone I can find.

I was a big fan of Carney. Even through 2013-14 I thought he had more raw talent than Jimmy. Maybe he does. But the fact is his attitude has never been tough enough or consistent enough to hack first grade footy. He was missing in his only grand final, missing in the Origin games he played ( you can argue Pearce was poor, we've heard it all before, but Carney was straight up unsighted), and is incapable of recovery from any failures.

Here and now, he's injury prone, off the pitch more often than he's on it, and well past his peak performance, with none of the wisdom that comes with experience.

It would be a desperate club indeed to play him in first grade in 2017.
I was a big fan of his as well. I saw him rip apart teams whilst playing for the Sharks.
He lost me when we were on our knees in '14 and he was running wild during the week. He was our highest paid player ever (i think) and had no respect for the people that love the club.

myrrh ken

First Grade
It's funny how thinks worked out for the better for easts and sharks but having said that the media agenda against him was ridiculous. He was a complete imbecile at the raiders but from memory the below was his wrap sheet at the chooks

1. Lighting a fart on fire
2. DUI
3. Being with anthony watts hours prior to him belting his mrs.
4. Breaking a drinking ban

Agreed. I thought it was also a beat up with the sharks. I mean was the bubbler incident really a sackable offence? He didn't take the photo, isn't breaking a law etc and Sharks tore up his contract due to media and nrl pressure. I remember the media calling it a "lewd incident". I mean, how is it lewd unless you're into water play? Pearce got off lightly in comparison.

Having said all that, I'm obviously glad we got rid of him.

EDIT - Mind you with the raiders, the worst was doing a runner from the police when drink driving and letting steve irwin cop the blame (and the sack). Shouldve been gone then. That was bad mismanagement.

Shorty

Staff member
Agreed. I thought it was also a beat up with the sharks. I mean was the bubbler incident really a sackable offence? He didn't take the photo, isn't breaking a law etc and Sharks tore up his contract due to media and nrl pressure. I remember the media calling it a "lewd incident". I mean, how is it lewd unless you're into water play? Pearce got off lightly in comparison.

Having said all that, I'm obviously glad we got rid of him.

EDIT - Mind you with the raiders, the worst was doing a runner from the police when drink driving and letting steve irwin cop the blame (and the sack). Shouldve been gone then. That was bad mismanagement.
Its a sponsorship thing, sponsors would have been on the phones the minute that pic emerged.
This was at a time when the Sharks were struggling for sponsors weren't they?

There's always been uber talents that just can't keep it together.
Taumata, Smith etc clubs get sick of playing baby sitter to what is a full grown adult.

H.H

Juniors
Don't disagree with anything that's been said, but geez he was beautiful to watch in 2010.

As a raw talent, he was a sublime athlete and footballer. Really had it all as an attacking player.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
He's a cretin on the piss, hardly a Lui, Bird, Ferguson, Wicks etc though...

This is an excellent point. I am under the belief the NRL told the Dragons not to sign him. Which would be another case of inconsitency. he is an idiot no doubt but there are players running around atm who have done far worse.

I also doubt his carrer is over, some desperate super league team will take a shot on him

betcats

Referee
Carney has made every club who has given him a chance look silly. Raiders, Roosters and Sharks all gave him chances and he repaid them all by being the same pissed merkin out doing stupid pissed merkin things. Most of Carneys 'infractions' are fairly innocent and harmless I agree but in his case it isn't about the severity of what he has done its simply the fact that guy who has been given so many chances is still going out and causing bad headlines. How many wake up calls and lessons does a guy need before he makes changes? Carney has shown that he isn't willing to change his ways no matter what he says or promises he gives. Only a desperate club would give him a chance now.

Whether you like it or not the NRL(and most big companies) care far more about looking bad than actually being bad. While there are players who have done worse things that Carney no one has made them look bad as much as Carney has. There are worse players than Carney who have done worse things and still had more clubs chase them then Carney has had since he left the sharks, there is a reaso for that.

JAMES_FOO

Juniors
Don't disagree with anything that's been said, but geez he was beautiful to watch in 2010.

As a raw talent, he was a sublime athlete and footballer. Really had it all as an attacking player.
You're not wrong, he was looking to be something special. He had an opportunity to create a name for himself. Well I suppose he did anyway, just not the one he would have liked.
He likely won't be seen back in the NRL, as a sharks supporter I would be disappointed if he was.

Special K

Coach
His hammies are shot. I can't see him getting through a 15-18 games in a season let alone 24 plus finals.

I was a massive fan of Carney but the difference Maloney has made is crazy. Maloney is not as naturally talented but the bloke is 10 times the footballer. In attack, in leadership and guts. I can't believe the value we get from Maloney and it is the same money we were spending on Carney.

JamesRustle

First Grade
This is an excellent point. I am under the belief the NRL told the Dragons not to sign him. Which would be another case of inconsitency. he is an idiot no doubt but there are players running around atm who have done far worse.

I also doubt his carrer is over, some desperate super league team will take a shot on him
Says it all about Dragons management.

Thank f**k the NRL is looking out for them.

They need to move on from benji, but in what world is carney an upgrade on benji?

Didnt the roosters reform him a few years ago?

b44c1c6d1556cb5b9ccff21f550b6338

"What's Toddy doing the silly bugger?"