What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has got to go!

Are you happy with Greenberg's performance as CEO?

• Yes

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 86 85.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 8.9%

• Total voters

Stallion

First Grade
Of course it is. Thats a statement of history, but it doesnt mean this was the BEST option. A lot of people would argue that this was a f*ck up...

The Broncos, Knights, Raiders, Steelers/Dragons, Cowboys, Warriors have all proven that new teams can be very successful and popular in old markets. The common theme is simply that these "United" teams were about the area being promoted to a higher level.

If, in 1988, the QRL/NSWRL had come together to form an ARL, they could have promoted a few of the best Sydney clubs plus formed a new club or two for the people whose teams weren't promoted.

Instead, we have a comp that (as you point out) has its origins solely in the NSWRL and were are still suffering from that today...

Amazingly innept grasp of cultural reality! Do you realise that all the Sydney clubs have immense external support outside of Sydney. I know for a fact that Newcastle were waiting decades to enter the Sydney competition due to such support. You have not factored in that the mass tv appeal of the code thru the Sydney competition is the fundamental basis for the NRL having credibility and mass popularity . You rid the NRL of clubs like North Sydney and you rid a whole locality of fans (plus external located fans)and a business sector as has been witnessed. The Bears are just one current example. Wonder how many fans have been lost due to the mergers!

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
Sydney heavy comp huh? Why is the only club that repeatedly collapses the gold coast? Newcastle is another non Sydney clusterf**k, Why can the AFL do it with Melbourne? Sydney heavy to me says 'I'm an anti Sydney club merkin and this is how i plan to rid said hated team from the comp'

Newcastle a non Sydney clusterf**k? Sure results haven’t gone their way of late but they are probably the most patriotic, proud RL city in Australia. Have won premierships, have some of the best fan bases in the game and the area has produced some of the all time greats.

Newcastle a non Sydney clusterf**k? Sure results haven’t gone their way of late but they are probably the most patriotic, proud RL city in Australia. Have won premierships, have some of the best fan bases in the game and the area has produced some of the all time greats.
In a financial and field performance way

Their fans are enviably loyal

Stallion

First Grade
In a financial and field performance way

Their fans are enviably loyal

The Newcastle fans also have an immense and longstanding respect and admiration of the Sydney clubs. This is why the city wanted to join the top flight competition. Their is a cultural significance/relevance that is very strong in admiration of the Sydney club competition. This has been the case for many decades.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Amazingly innept grasp of cultural reality! Do you realise that all the Sydney clubs have immense external support outside of Sydney. I know for a fact that Newcastle were waiting decades to enter the Sydney competition due to such support. You have not factored in that the mass tv appeal of the code thru the Sydney competition is the fundamental basis for the NRL having credibility and mass popularity . You rid the NRL of clubs like North Sydney and you rid a whole locality of fans (plus external located fans)and a business sector as has been witnessed. The Bears are just one current example. Wonder how many fans have been lost due to the mergers!

Do they, really? Where’s your evidence of this? Members? Nope. Tv audiences? Nope
Attendances of these “away”club fans? Nope. It’s easy to say things but where’s your evidence of all these fans from outside Sydney supporting these clubs? Yes there are some but me thinks you are massively exaggerating the amount.

Sydney’s tv audience is pretty poor in population ratio as is attendance. The cannabilising of a relatively small sport fanbase and diminishing corporate supporter base between 9businesses is not sustainable, probably never has been but in the past pokie machines have papered over those cracks.
the current answer is to increasingly throw more of the tv money at the existing clubs in the hope they come good. It’s just dragging out the inevitable really.

taipan

Referee
Do they, really? Where’s your evidence of this? Members? Nope. Tv audiences? Nope
Attendances of these “away”club fans? Nope. It’s easy to say things but where’s your evidence of all these fans from outside Sydney supporting these clubs? Yes there are some but me thinks you are massively exaggerating the amount.

Sydney’s tv audience is pretty poor in population ratio as is attendance. The cannabilising of a relatively small sport fanbase and diminishing corporate supporter base between 9businesses is not sustainable, probably never has been but in the past pokie machines have papered over those cracks.
the current answer is to increasingly throw more of the tv money at the existing clubs in the hope they come good. It’s just dragging out the inevitable really.

This is a recording, sorry ladies and gents it's been stuck in this groove for some time.
If membership is growing which it has to date, it's an indication of more interest, with more money being put in by fans.
"Diminishing corporate supporter base" from when?All corp boxes for the sharks were sold in 2017.All Sydney clubs are sponsored.
No one is going to watch an NRL game on TV at 6pm,unless trains/buses and motor vehicles have TV sets installed in their vehicles and motors vehicles drive themselves whilst the driver is watching a game.
BTW there won't be many away fans attending regular NRL games in Perth,not a good selling point.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unlike sharks we won’t be reliant on our more popular near neighbours boosting our attendances and making it look like we’ve got more fans than we really have :)

Stallion

First Grade

You idiot! Still trying to destroy the fabric of this great competition. You refuse to acknowledge the many fans existing around Australia that follow a Sydney NRL club. Even worse you cant figure out the merging and elimination of clubs destroys fanbases? Absolutely no hope for you in this flawed assessment you have of the supporters of such clubs. Im a Rooster's fan and I live in Newcastle. But you cant see how that one example is one of many? You are dumb! That's all I can figure out!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Proof is all I’m asking for. How many of these Sydney club fans do you th8nk exist out of nsw and where’s your evidence?

You seem pretty certain, why? Because you are one? Lol so am I, but I see no evidence there are tens of thousands per club.

Sometimes you have to prune to get stronger growth.

Stallion

First Grade
Proof is all I’m asking for. How many of these Sydney club fans do you th8nk exist out of nsw and where’s your evidence?

You seem pretty certain, why? Because you are one? Lol so am I, but I see no evidence there are tens of thousands per club.

You have provided some proof. Out of two fans, myself and yourself, we have100percent anecdotal evidence. Its not rocket science. Its common sense.
For instance as a member of the Roosters I was privy to a fan survey the club conducted about 5 years ago. The club questionaire asked me "What was the main thing that made me follow the Roosters? " i replied "the navy blue tricolour jumper" This was taken note of and we moved onto a few other member related questions. This was a personal phone call conducted by the Roosters during the offseason.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You have provided some proof. Out of two fans, myself and yourself, we have100percent anecdotal evidence. Its not rocket science. Its common sense.
For instance as a member of the Roosters I was privy to a fan survey the club conducted about 5 years ago. The club questionaire asked me "What was the main thing that made me follow the Roosters? " i replied "the navy blue tricolour jumper" This was taken note of and we moved onto a few other member related questions. This was a personal phone call conducted by the Roosters during the offseason.

Haha, not sure the sample size would hold up to scrutiny, I know hundred people who don’t go for an nrl team in Sydney lol.

Why would you add a branch that long and heavy, could easily snap again

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would you add a branch that long and heavy, could easily snap again

Nature doesn’t add branches, it grows from the roots up so the trunk is strong enough for wide reaching branches, often dropping off the old stunted growth that is no longer flourishing in order to make space to sprout new and stronger growth. We can learn a lot from nature.

Nature doesn’t add branches, it grows from the roots up so the trunk is strong enough for wide reaching branches, often dropping off the old stunted growth that is no longer flourishing in order to make space to sprout new and stronger growth. We can learn a lot from nature.
We can, like the law of natural selection

Never before has a species came back from utter extinction, maybe the dead should stay dead leaving only the strong to survive

Stallion

First Grade

When you don't have the original seeds you don't get the same plant! And if its been successful you certainly don't change it! By all means add to it with different varieties for different areas but you dont ruin the original fabric! Otherwise the strength/credibility of the product declines. This is what is happening to rugby league in Sydney!

siv

First Grade
Neither are sustainable, if the golden age of tv grant excesses reduces both comps will have to make some hard decisions

You just go back to play a regional 3 grade comp - with one game on TV

Its the players who wont get paid not the ability to run a 110 year old comp

Driving 1h across a city is never a issue

Perth was a early casualty when the SL War ended on a pure cost cutting reasoning

Last edited: