What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Archer goooooone

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Clearly you like seeing 20+ penalties a game, and teams penalised stupid in the first half only to even things up in the second. Infringements not penalised in the latter stages of games if a penalty would change the result, notwithstanding that the infringements themselves do exactly that. Even in the finals this was happening. This is not my idea of how a professional sporting competition should be run. If this is what the journos you've mentioned (and you forgot Phil Gould) are saying, then I agree with them 100%.

And what is "spewing bile" if its not a metaphor.
Putting your stupid accusations of bias and levelling aside, if teams infringe 20 times, I would like to see roughly 20 penalties blown, yes (accounting for the fact referees are indeed human and may miss them on occasion). It's really simple.

You're essentially putting the fault of players breaking the rules at the feet of the officials who are bound to ...well, officiate.

Using Phil Gould as your bastion of light for public opinion is also well off the mark, just quietly.

As for 'spewing bile' - it's a clear metaphor outlining what comes from the printing presses and TV shows of those presenters. I criticised your use of metaphors because they were generalised, poor representations of the point you were trying to make.

T-Boon

Coach
I agree.

I noticed the amount of penalties blown 10x more than I ever have noticed 'the wrestle'.

Does anyone actually care/really pay attention to wrestling?

As previously pointed out by someone the penalties were about cheating not wrestling.

But to answer your question I have not noticed the wrestling so much as how ugly the typical tackle is now with 4 men in a sort of a stacks on.
The other thing I have noticed is a decline in line breaks and generally anything involving risk taking in the game. Coaches are obsessed about getting to the kick by not playing any football.

Timmah

Staff member
To suggest the penalty crackdown was all about wrestling is hilarious. It was about a range of infringements that had crept in through recent years, wrestling tactics being just one of them. Creeping outside defence was another obvious one, as well as repeated cynical goal-line infringements. There were a bunch of others too. Wrestling arguments are part of the conversation but to focus on them is to ignore everything else.

Timmah

Staff member
Nah, rugby league fans have just been whinging about their imagination for the past 10 years.

I mean, does anyone really notice that rucks take 10 seconds now instead of 2 or 3 like they used to?
This. It's very very evident at the end of either half when a quick PTB is very important - a player can be tackled with 6 or 7 seconds remaining and that can be the last play of the game because by the time he gets up the siren's gone and the referee is forced to call FT.

Fire

First Grade
Nah, rugby league fans have just been whinging about their imagination for the past 10 years.

I mean, does anyone really notice that rucks take 10 seconds now instead of 2 or 3 like they used to?
So you've continued to watch a game you dislike for 10 years.

That's productive use of your time *thumbs up*

Fire

First Grade
To suggest the penalty crackdown was all about wrestling is hilarious.
I didn't research why the men on the television were blowing penalties.

I keep my footy pretty simple:

>St George on television
>Grab beer
>Smile

Timmah

Staff member
I didn't research why the men on the television were blowing penalties.

I keep my footy pretty simple:

>St George on television
>Grab beer
>Smile
Incredibly helpful input.

Something tells me if that were the case you wouldn't be in this thread debating it.

Timmah

Staff member
I really wonder how long people would be happy with say 30 or 40 penalties a game and turning it into rugby union.
Has that actually happened? And not just one instance, an actual pattern, a substantial number.

It's all good to go to the extreme on something like this but unless it actually happens it's just fearmongering.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I love games from the 90's, they were so much more enjoyable to watch. Sure the refs made wrong decisions but the games were quick, more open and just more unscripted. Id rather put up with a total season of sht penalty riddled games if it meant we got the next decade of open free flowing RL!

Timmah

Staff member
I love games from the 90's, they were so much more enjoyable to watch. Sure the refs made wrong decisions but the games were quick, more open and just more unscripted. Id rather put up with a total season of sht penalty riddled games if it meant we got the next decade of open free flowing RL!
Games from the 90's quick? Rubbish.

Springs09

Juniors
So you've continued to watch a game you dislike for 10 years.

That's productive use of your time *thumbs up*

Yeah because I dislike one tactic in the game means I dislike the whole sport. That's a good use of your deductive reasoning.

siv

First Grade
Well if you read commens by Annesley he is supporting the 2nd half of the season interpretations of the rulebook

Latest posts