What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too Late Now, We're Suing The Storm

j0nesy

Bench
You need to go the shock tactics or nobody cares about what you are saying.

also helps the club by going down the us v them path.

Nothing better than stirring up some good NSW hatred.

Doesn't matter anyway as a lot of people like to point out that the NRL keeps the Storm afloat. It should just end up being a money juggling exercise.

The highlighted text is probably close to the mark.

Still I maintain if the Storm were really worried about consistency with the MRC and judicary, they would have handled the issue differently.

It won't be a money juggling exercise. If a co-worker were to sue me I doubt my company would bail me out. Besides which this whole news limited,NRL incestuous crap is blown out of proportion

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee

It also helps the club by going down the us v them path.

Nothing better than stirring up some good NSW hatred.

Doesn't matter anyway as a lot of people like to point out that the NRL keeps the Storm afloat. It should just end up being a money juggling exercise.
If the above commens are true, or you really believe them. Surely you now see Waldron as a hypocrite.

Evolution

Juniors
If the above commens are true, or you really believe them. Surely you now see Waldron as a hypocrite.

Which comments?

They attacked the wrong people they should have gone at the MRC. Now you can call them corrupt and get away with it.

Waldron is doing what is best for his club. They may have over stepped the mark but I don't think they intended to go so far. When you get up a good rant sometimes things just spew out of your mouth.

They need there side out in the reffs minds or things like the Geyer 'grapple' will come out again this week. It is hard to stop a ref seeing all the media about the Storms tackling techniques and jumping to very wrong conclusions on the ground by what they perceive added to some great acting.

Last edited:

Evolution

Juniors
Never mind its the truth...does whether others got caught or not lessen the illegality of Smiths' tackle?
NO.

It does bring questions out about why other were not charged if the NRL though it such a big problem. Are they not allowed to question the double standards that are implemented by the NRL/MRC/Finch?

Fight fire with fire.

AILD

Bench
deadset t1tan you idiot.

cam hasnt said what he did was alright or legal. i havent seen anyone say that! if they have then they derserve an uppercut. the real question is, why was that 1 tackle targetted yet others, which were clearly worse, arent picked up?

The Gambler

Juniors
It does bring questions out about why other were not charged if the NRL though it such a big problem. Are they not allowed to question the double standards that are implemented by the NRL/MRC/Finch?

Fight fire with fire.
No, not publicly and without solid evidence.

Edit: obviously people are going to say "oh, but there is solid evidence" - I suppose that is the debate at hand.

_Johnsy

Referee

These ones, yet Waldron was crying like a baby in the media, and you supported his calls to sue Brown. A few months later and what club is doing the same thing you were bagging Brown and the dragons for ?

Your club is one without any integrity whatsoever.

t1tan

Juniors
Exactly,there are correct procedures to raise concerns,but the storm dont want to.

Evolution

Juniors
Exactly,there are correct procedures to raise concerns,but the storm dont want to.

What behind closed when nobody hears it?

While the media continue to go on and on about the storm which effect the way they are dealt with on the field.

Yes that will work. Keep quiet gets wrecked out on the ground but everything is handled nicely.

t1tan

Juniors
Well if the storm arent happy with the way things are done,they should go and start their own comp. ;-)

innsaneink

Referee
My point exactly. This will do nothing positive for the game.

Doing nothing after the games judicial admin has been accused of corruption would be a LOT more negative for the game...a simple televised apology would've averted all this, you seem to be forgetting this.

Dan70

Juniors
Never mind its the truth...does whether others got caught or not lessen the illegality of Smiths' tackle?
NO.

And does whether or not another team grapples make it alright for you to do so? Because (according to most fans) every club other than Melbourne aren't doing anything wrong when they grapple (most as much or more so than the Storm) because it was Melbourne that "started it."

For the record, Smith has said that he is happy to cop the two weeks, because he realises the tackle was illegal. No one in the Storm camp is now arguing if he was innocent or not, but whether just pinging him is really justice, or will be effective in rubbing out the grapple.

Noa

First Grade
Well if the storm arent happy with the way things are done,they should go and start their own comp. ;-)

you might want to aim that at the Bronco's. Sl nothing to do with us, we were coming sooner or later.

t1tan

Juniors
And does whether or not another team grapples make it alright for you to do so? Because (according to most fans) every club other than Melbourne aren't doing anything wrong when they grapple (most as much or more so than the Storm) because it was Melbourne that "started it."

For the record, Smith has said that he is happy to cop the two weeks, because he realises the tackle was illegal. No one in the Storm camp is now arguing if he was innocent or not, but whether just pinging him is really justice, or will be effective in rubbing out the grapple.
No,there should be no grappling in the game and anyone that does so should be punished accordingly.
But in saying that,to blatantly do what waldron and bellamy have done reeks of arrogance and stupidity,and as i posted earlier,would have probably been better dealt with in the correct manner.

Stained_Class

Juniors
but whether just pinging him is really justice, or will be effective in rubbing out the grapple.

I think most hope this is the beginning of the end of the grapple tackle. MRC must follow through now with all the attention this has received. They're struggling with what little, if any, credibility is left.

As for the question of justice......of course it's been done.

P.J.

Juniors
Please do get your facts right!!!!

Bellamy in the Press Conference on Friday did say that what Smith did do was wrong but it was the Inconsistency in the jurdicial process.

Smith said yesterday, He did something silly but it was incinsistency in the jurdicial process and would like a reason why.

Back to topic

Sue the Arse off the storm, we can counter-Sue the NRL for the Loss of income from the pathetic TV deals we have had with since the Storm started.

Are you kidding me? Firstly, the Storm shouldn't even be in the competition. Here's just a few reasons off the top of my head....

1) They were introduced when we were trying to cut 22 teams down to 14.
2) They were the golden handshake to Ribot for stabbing all and sundry in the back during Pooper League.
3) They won the comp in 1999 and no one in Melbourne cared.
4) They are subject to a media boycott, amazingly by News Ltd newspapers when the club is owned by News Ltd.
5) They are subject to television boycott, protection AFL, you'll only see them at 1am.
6) The town is so dead against anything except AFL that Rugby Union went to Perth before Melbourne.
7) Because News Ltd now own the Storm (conflict of interest considering News Ltd run the game)
8) Because they won the competition again and no one cared.
9) Because they have the 3rd worst crowds in the NRL
10) Because they lose millions every year, last year was a 4.5 million dollar loss.
11) Because they are the only team in the NRL that can have over 9 rep players and still only have a minor breach to the cap
12) And the 12 reason they shouldn't be in the competition, is because they are the only team in the NRL that has broken the cap every single year it's been introduced.

What happened when they did every year? Minor ($70,000 to $145,000 fine) which Rupert took from his front left pocket (Storm pocket) and put in his back right pocket (NRL Pocket).

The Storm are the joke of the league....

And my second point is I find it amusing that the NRL Judicary (News Ltd owned) is going to sue the Storm (News Ltd owned). Geez, this isn't a stunt to sell papers now is it.........

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pointless exercise, nobody knows the who is on the judiciary anyway and as he wasn't named individually it has hardly discredited him as an individual. Storm have been punished, move on ffs and lets game the game back to what is happening on the field.

ps PJ you missed out Melbourne being a cause of losing a far more succesful and potentially profitable to the game Perth Reds!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,24433242-5003409,00.html

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy doesn't apologise over spray

By Steve Mascord | October 02, 2008 12:00am

THE soap opera surrounding Craig Bellamy's scathing attack on the NRL judiciary looks headed for the courts after the Melbourne coach refused to back down on his arrival in Sydney yesterday.

Bellamy knocked back the opportunity to apologise for his remarks, in which he questioned the integrity of the judiciary over the two-match suspension of Storm skipper Cameron Smith.

The premiership-winning mentor said he had no regrets as he turned his attention to Sunday's Grand Final clash with Manly, a match that Smith will miss because of the ban.

As Bellamy led his Storm team into Sydney ahead of Sunday's decider at ANZ Stadium, he was asked if he had any regrets about the criticism that has already cost his club $50,000. A defiant Bellamy said simply: "No".

NRL chief executive David Gallop said the issue would be discussed when he meets the tribunal today.

Judiciary member Darrell Williams said chairman Greg Woods had written to Melbourne CEO Brian Waldron demanding an apology but had received no reply.

Williams will recommend immediate defamation action against the Storm, Waldron and Bellamy for questioning his integrity.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24433073-2722,00.html

Craig Bellamy a step closer to litigation

Stuart Honeysett and Dan Koch | October 02, 2008

A DEFIANT Craig Bellamy has again refused to apologise for his attack over Cameron Smith's suspension despite judiciary chairman Greg Woods saying that was the Melbourne coach's best hope of avoiding litigation.

The Storm arrived in Sydney yesterday for Sunday afternoon's grand final against Manly at ANZ Stadium, with Bellamy fronting the media for the first time since he slammed the judiciary over the two-match ban that cost Smith an appearance in the season's finale.

Woods, also a Sydney district court judge and part of the league's judicial system, spoke to NRL chief executive David Gallop on Monday following Bellamy's tirade and said an apology would be the best way to resolve the dispute.

It is understood that Woods was responsible for setting the deadline of the grand final for the Storm to apologise.

Although the Storm has not budged on the issue to date, the NRL has not given up hope an apology will be made today when the two teams come together for the traditional grand final breakfast at Sydney's Westin Hotel.

"I'm due to meet the judiciary members tomorrow," Gallop said yesterday. "The chairman has indicated the form of apology that he would like to see.

"Clearly an apology is appropriate and the sooner the better."

Before Bellamy fronted the cameras at Sydney airport, the club's media manager stressed the Storm coach would not be talking about the pending legal battle or would not offer an apology to judiciary panellists Darrell Williams, Royce Ayliffe and Darren Britt.

Bellamy said he had no regrets about the way he had handled the situation and he believed the worst of the situation was behind him. "The kerfuffle is hopefully gone as far as I'm concerned," he said. "I had my say last week and it's been pretty smooth sailing so far as we go.

"As I said on Saturday morning I probably didn't express it as well as I liked to but there was a bit of frustration building up.

"It's over as far as I'm concerned now and we're worrying about Sunday."

Bellamy and club chief executive Brian Waldron have been hounded on the issue ever since their extraordinary outburst in the post-match press conference following the Storm's 28-0 win over Cronulla in the preliminary final last Friday night.

Bellamy was particularly scathing on the game's judicial system over the two-match suspension handed out to Smith for a grapple tackle on Brisbane prop Sam Thaiday.

The pair suggested the judiciary panel had succumbed to the media hype around the case.

Even more damning were claims that a lopsided betting market framed on Smith's ban suggested his fate was determined before the hearing.

That prompted a $50,000 fine from the NRL for attacking the integrity of the judiciary while the three panellists threatened to sue for defamation unless they received a public apology.

Williams, Ayliffe and Britt are losing patience with the Storm's and will meet Gallop today to determine their next step. Williams has indicated he is ready to fast-track legal action.

Williams and Ayliffe have already successfully sued media commentator Phil Gould for defamation in a case that was settled out of court.

"I think it's wishful thinking to expect them to do anything before the grand final so it's time to take some action," Williams said.

"The balls's been in their court over the whole matter. A simple apology may have gone a long way to mending the fences and this would all go away but they haven't done the decent thing so I'll be investigating my options."

Sportingbet's Michael Sullivan, who framed the controversial market on Smith missing Friday night's game at $1.18 and playing at $4.25, repeated his claim that there had been no impropriety.

"To give you an indication of the insignificance of this, we held about $7000 in bets," Sullivan said yesterday.

"In any one year we turn over about $1.3billion in bets. To borrow the old cliche, blind Freddie could see Cam Smith was in a fair bit of trouble. If you polled 100 rugby league people the number who thought he would be guilty would be in the 90s."

Bellamy was visibly relieved when the questions turned to Sunday night's game, claiming he had not settled on whether Scott Anderson or Aiden Tolman would fill the final bench spot.

The Storm coach said he had been impressed with the Sea Eagles' performances during the finals series but he had also admired the face his side had overcome significant obstacles to make a third consecutive decider.

"Our run has been tough but at the end of the day it has steeled us pretty good for a grand final," Bellamy said. "We know we can hang in there in tough times and we've proved that over the last couple of weeks."
Story

Latest posts