What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Too many NRL teams in Sydney "Gallop.

ouwet

Bench
We do need to cut Sydney teams (Reality)... And if it's the Bulldogs then so be it.

BUT by doing it now (Or in a few years) the NRL will be handing supporters to AFL and RU.

Imagine a Bulldogs or Parramatta get cut... The AFL would be loving it, they bring in a team at Homebush and automatically have the biggest supporter base in Sydney (With some money and smart advertising and we all the AFL have that). Cronulla are my team to go, sorry guys but it'll have the least impact IMHO. Bulldog don't have a specific area anymore (Although Canterbury-Bankstown will always be it's heartland) because our supporters come from all over NSW... We have the biggest (Or close to it at Worst) supporter base in Sydney.
The NRL had their chance to kick the Doggies out, they wouldn't have the Balls and if they did, they know RL will lose big time.

salivor

First Grade
t-ba said:
1.8 Million people averaging 16k a weekend isn't good enough either. No offence, but the Drongos, for a team in such a huge catchment, draw pathetic.

16k? What are you on about. We are averaging 35,000 this year which is a 5,000 increase on last year and we have increased our averages every year for 7 straight years now. We also feature 7 times on the list of top 10 crowds this year.

Let's relocate them, Wellington suits me, how about you?

mark123

Juniors
I could see cronulla agreeing to move.

Their stadium is so old it would just deteriorate back into the ground before long.

t-ba

Post Whore
salivor said:
16k? What are you on about. We are averaging 35,000 this year which is a 5,000 increase on last year and we have increased our averages every year for 7 straight years now. We also feature 7 times on the list of top 10 crowds this year.

Let's relocate them, Wellington suits me, how about you?

How often do the Broncos play? Every Week Now? Quite frankly, their figures don't stack up. THere was a time when Brisbane was 2/3's its current size and they averaged 42k...

I don't want the Broncos relocated, that'd be insanity, but they've done a terrible job of catching the imagination of the Brisbane public. It's remarkable what running roughshod over the local competition and then stabbing the NSWRL/ARL/QRL in the back does for a clubs popularity I suppose.

bluey

Bench
mark123 said:
I could see cronulla agreeing to move.

Their stadium is so old it would just deteriorate back into the ground before long.

The sharks have a grant of 10 million for upgrades to shark park and they own thier own ground, and surrounding land they are asset rich.
The trouble is all of this talk can change every year.
the draw can have a huge result in gate takings of any club.

salivor

First Grade
t-ba said:
How often do the Broncos play? Every Week Now? Quite frankly, their figures don't stack up. THere was a time when Brisbane was 2/3's its current size and they averaged 42k...

I don't want the Broncos relocated, that'd be insanity, but they've done a terrible job of catching the imagination of the Brisbane public. It's remarkable what running roughshod over the local competition and then stabbing the NSWRL/ARL/QRL in the back does for a clubs popularity I suppose.

No and that's why statistians do it on a per game basis. Thats the worst plucked out of your arse irrelevant stat I've seen, you can't even divide 35k by 2 properly.

BTW we averaged 43k for a one off season in 1993. The average we're at now is getting us back to the days of 1994 and 1995 and considering the damage the Super League war did to the clubs image and that we played out of a terrible stadium for years, we've done well to grow our crowds for 7 years straight now.

So in a discussion about Sydney teams and the issue of expanding the competition, Brisbane's crowds had what relevance?

BrisVegas

Juniors
It should be an interesting upcoming 10-15 years for the NRL.

By about 2020 (3 TV deals time) I'd estimate a realistic outcome for the NRL would be an 18 team competition as thus:

North QLD
Brisbane
SE QLD/Sunshine Coast/West Brisbane
Gold Coast
Central Coast (A relocated Sydney team)
Newcastle
Canberra
Melbourne
Perth
Auckland
Wellington
----------
Sydney x7 (1 relocation to Gosford and 1 new joint venture or a club drops down to the new open age NSW comp)

This would cover every city along the eastern seaboard capable of supporting an NRL team, as well as seeing teams located in Canberra, Melbourne, Perth, Auckland and Wellington.

Another Brisbane/SE QLD team is a must within 10 years. By 2030 QLD will be the second most populous state in Australia. The Broncos needs another local rival not only for the people of Brisbane whom dislike the Broncos, but so a game can be played out of Suncorp almost every week. Ideally this new team would play out of a Titans like boutique stadium and take 3 of the years biggest games to Suncorp (much like the Titans). This team will likely have to be a new venture, state pride still reigns supreme in QLD and I cannot see QLDers throwing their support behind a team that was conceived in NSW.

Wellington should be given serious consideration as NZ is producing large numbers of quality players. A second team will strengthen NZ for international games, and interest in league would be stronger if the Warriors are traveling poorly. A Wellington franchise would also increase the value of the NZ rights (It was $8 million a year in 2001), Strengthen League as a game in NZ, and create a rivalry with the Warriors.

The Central Coast will be seen as an ideal relocation point for an existing Sydney team as:

a) A relocated NSW team won't work in QLD, and WA is taking a different path with the WA Reds (and seem to have ARL's backing that this is the way to go) .
b) A Sydney team has the best chance of retaining existing fans if the club is moved to a location within driving distance.
c) Their are already 9 teams within driving distance of Gosford.
d) It is the least appealing option in term of growing the amount of revenue the NRL can earn.

Ideally in an 18 team comp teams would play each other once during the regular season, with all teams having 2 byes in the lead up to Origin games. This would mean there would be 3 games played on the weekend leading into each Origin, making it a 19 week regular season + 4 weeks of finals (still top 8). 24 is too many in terms of the physical strain on the players and it's hard to keep interest over such a long season as losses don't mean as much. Each team would host their opposition at home every second year allowing for greater hype of matches and bigger crowds, making games bigger local events. To make up for the season being 5 weeks shorter an official televised pre-season competition should be created, and an NRL V. Euro SuperLeague series as well as Test matches should be played a few weeks after the Grand Final.

Which Sydney teams are in danger of relocation/relegation? The stadium facilities available to clubs will become more and more a case of the haves and have-not's over the coming decade. Those clubs playing out of the more advanced venues will have a greater chance of drawing casual spectators and converting them to regular attendee's and will have a huge advantage in drawing corporate support where a premium can be made.

One of the best ways to ensure that the government keeps the grants to your clubs stadium flowing (besides being located in a marginal seat) is for the venue to accommodate as many tenants as possible. More games being played = more spectators = a higher return on the governments continual investment.

There is a clear correlation between the number of games hosted at a venue and the amount of government money spent on upkeep and upgrades.

The "Big 3" league grounds: Telstra, Aussie/SFS and Suncorp all have multiple tenants.

The key for the Storm obtaining a new state of the art stadium has been a commitment from the A-League and the new Provincial Rugby Competition to base clubs at the ground.

Newcastle's EAS now has an A-League tenant, and it is likely over the next few years that North QLD, the Gold Coast and Canberra stadiums will be afforded further updates if A-League clubs take up residence.

Clubs that will likely have difficulty sourcing further funds for Stadium upgrades include: Manly, Cronulla, Wests Tigers (Unless they decide to primarily locate themselves at one of their many current home grounds), Parramatta and Penrith (Although CUA and Parramatta Stadium may have a shot at obtaining an A-League tenant).

Blind Freddy

Juniors
Bring Back The Bears onto the CC like was meant to happen... Its not like any other team will move there. No fans of any current clubs want their team to move. The North Sydney Bears got royally shafted and was the only proactive club for moving (pre mergers). They would easily be the heathiest NSW club today if they got the chance properly.. SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST!!!!!! and have a promotion/relegation system for Sydney teams into and out of the NRL.

d3@t3h

Juniors
the Caterberry Bulldogs move to QEII stadium Christchruch as the Canterberry Bulldogs (duh)

West sydney= West tigers, Parramatta, Penrith
Sydney = rest of sydney teams
CC Bears
WA Reds
A RAMS
PNG

fatshark

Bench
Traditaionally, Sydney is a League town. What the hell is Gallops problem. The NRL has made tens of millions. Relocating a team will only lose more money. Not enough crowds? Maybe the NRL should have a look at itself and ask why.
I think Gallop has done his job and should move on.
The NRL has only become stale in the last couple of years.
Get someone in who has a wider vision than just money.
Cutting and expanding wont work for a long time.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
Blame who ever is in charge of Marketing and Advirtising the NRL (if they actually exsist) to get Bums on seats!!!!

Songs like "thats my team" were good but only target the niche bogan market that rugby league already thrives from. Market for some other types of people get a variety of ads going.

PULLL YOUR FINGER OUT NRL MARKETING TEAM. .... YOU SUCK!!!!

Blind Freddy

Juniors
fatshark said:
Already happened, didnt work...next.

erm... when did this happen??? And don't pull out the Northern eagles crap, because i'm talkin before that! and the areas hate each other.

I don't recall a team ever in the NRL called the CC Bears?? And it only failed because the stadium being built (bluetounge) didn't get completed in time, while the bears were playing at lang park and other grounds losing copious amounts of money in the meantime....and add to that they were still regarded as a Sydney team, when they should have been granted country team status because they had commited to the move up the coast.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Agree there Blind Freddy it didnt work last time cause Gosford stadium wasnt ready.

Now its ready, Blue Tongue Stadium, one of the best rugby league grounds going around, and theres no team up there.

I think a Sydney team should relocate to the Central Coast, cause the Central Coast people are prepared to support their team even if a Sydney team was to relocate.

Really if teams were to relocate it should be Perth, Central Coast.

Monk

Referee
PARRA_FAN said:
Really if teams were to relocate it should be Perth, Central Coast.

agree... blue tongue stadium will be a goldmine when a team gets up there

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Moving teams like chess pieces fails to take into account the emotional side of the sport, this is where all the damage was caused during the SL war.
The NRL needs to GROW the game's revenue streams not just move teams around, this is the easy option.
Why are there too many teams in Sydney yet the AFL are looking at another team and I'm sure union or the A-League would love another team. I think if there was another team in Sydney it should be a RL team not AFL, union or soccer.
There is a chapter in John O'Neills new book about what rugby union could see happening to RL during and after the SL war. It's a warning for anyone who wanting to f*** with the fabric of the sport.
Ask yourself what Norths fans are doing now?

Latest posts