What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 17 next season

League_God

Juniors
1.Kurt Gidley
2.Cooper Vuna
3.James Mcmanus
4.Junior Sau
5.Aku Uate
6.Jarred Mullen
7.Scott Dureau
8.Steve Simpson
9.Matt Hilder
10.Ben Cross
11.Mark Tafua
12.Corey Patterson
13.Zeb Taia

14.Isac De Gois
15.Richard Faaso
16.Dan Tolar
17.Chris Houston

Yosh

Coach
1. Kidley
2. Aku
3. Sau (best combination down that side if you ask me..)
4. Rogers (dunno about here... Rogers isnt centre material?)
5. McManus
6. Mullen
7. Scotty (might not be the most individually brillant player in the team but with him in it we seem more wholesome... one of the reasons we are gelling I feel...)
8. Cross (dont like him honestly but probaly the best of the bunch)
9. De Gois (I like the look of this dude)
10. Tolar
11. Simmo
12. Patto
13. Taia

14. Hilder (coming on in rotation for hooker and lock)
15. Tuafua (backrow or prop rotation)
16. Faas (prop rotation)
17. Vuna (utility back or impact forward player coming on late each half around the fringes, agressive running at the halves to kill them or running around tiring forwards)

I think we need another huge and powerful prop and dont know how Rogers will go at centre...

roopy

Referee
1.Kurt Gidley
2.Cooper Vuna
3.James Mcmanus
4.Junior Sau
5.Aku Uate
6.Jarred Mullen
7.Scott Dureau
8.Steve Simpson
9.Matt Hilder
10.Ben Cross
11.Mark Tafua
12.Corey Patterson
13.Zeb Taia

14.Isac De Gois
15.Richard Faaso
16.Dan Tolar
17.Chris Houston
If i saw that team run out i'd give us a shot against anyone.

Spike

First Grade
What are the odds of a fluff piece in the Newcastle Herald at the beginning of next year about how Wicks realises he needs to put in more and has had a great off season shredding 3 kgs of his frame and is ready to rip in??? All it'll take is a new flavoured jelly doughnut from Krispy Kreme and it'll be all for nothing.

Who's shouting me?

Tom155

Coach
1. Kurt Gidley
2. Aku Uate
3. Junior Sau
4. Wes Naiqama
5. James Mcmanus
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Scott Dureau
8. Ben Cross
9. Issac De Gois
10. Dan Tolar
11. Steve Simpson
12. Corey Paterson
13. Zeb Taia

14. Chris Houston
15. Danny Wicks
16. Richie Fa'aoso
17. Matt Hilder

Last edited:
As a long time supporter of the knights and a person very frustrated by the off season – I put a bit of thought into how I see it for next year. Feel free to comment – agree / disagree or ignore.

Cheers,

The Team I’d be picking

1 Kurt Gidley –
Our best player without a doubt. Still a few elements of his game that can be worked on;
- Being safer under the high ball
- General positioning could improve for last plays in both attack and defence close to the line.
- Not saying he’s bad at these but probably where he is slightly shaded by a couple of opposition FB’s and I think we’ll see these come with another season as a fullback.
- Learning to be a captain (hasn’t been tested at it yet and we’ll see how he handles it over a season)

If our halves can improve on last year and in particular J Mullen – he will be a very dangerous option when he chimes in. Make or break year if he’s going to hold Brett Stewart off for the NSW origin FB and challenge Slater for the Aus spot. Likely to be a utility regardless but I’d rather see him get a shot in the one position.

2 James McManus –
I really rated him coming through the juniors and have been mostly happy with what he has done for us since coming into First Grade. His defense at most times (has been shaky close to the lone once or twice but how many wingers haven’t) and ability to shut down dangerous plays has been a highlight, which in itself is probably my biggest disappointment. Kick returns are good as far as power is concerned and I haven’t ever seen him pushed backwards – I just always thought that he had a bit more speed and ability to beat a man with a change of direction in the juniors than I’ve seen in FG. I know he has dropped a little bulk for this season and if he can develop a bit more in the attacking department I’d be happy to lock him in for a long stay in the side.

3 Junior Sau –
There hasn’t really been any talk of it but I worry about his weight if he happened to have an injury layoff at some stage. If he can keep the weight off his chunky build and maintain his acceleration then he’ll keep a spot in the side. If he can learn to pass left, right and offload he could be our next international. Probably still a couple of seasons off his best so hopefully the rest of the side can support him and help him learn the ropes because on last years form he’s the best center we have already.

4 Adam Macdougall –
If we sign him he needs to be in the side. I don’t think we have any other centers that can break the line on their own. Not anywhere near the player he was 5 years ago but still a solid first grader with experience and will pull out a few standout moments while teaching a Lulia or other up and comer a thing or two about determination close to the line.

5 Wes Naquama -
Has had his ups and downs and probably still hasn’t recovered from the knee injury fully enough to have shown us everything he has. Will be a leader and a defensive rock but hasn’t shown enough ability to catch a pressure pass when hitting a gap or broken the line with any regularity as a centre. Until he gets the zip back he’s a winger as far as I’m concerned and under pressure from Vuna, Uate and L Macdougal who all have him for speed and excitement.

6 Jared Mullen –
Has all the skills but hasn’t put them together consistently yet. With Buderus gone his time is now. If he doesn’t become the superstar we all hope for this year I don’t think he ever will. He will easily be a first grader for as long as he wants to play but sometimes he just seems to put too much pressure on himself (or is it because there still isn’t enough support or consistency in his halves partner?) Great speed, vision, pass, Kicking ability and seems to be a smart guy. Will be a star in our side this year for at least half the games he plays in and will need to take more responsibility for the “big plays” to progress further.

7 Scott Dureau –
Hard not to like him because he really has a go and seems a good organizer but he hasn’t shown enough yet to keep Luke Walsh out if he gets another chance. Needs to take on the line more often and find his short runners every now and then to add a bit of the unpredictable and danger that’s been missing from his attack. Good luck to him – if he’s good enough to hold down his position this year with at least solid performances then he’ll be good enough for what we need. If he under performs then someone else will get a go. The good news is we will find our halfback solution this year – it will be either Dureau, Walsh or they’ll both be gone and a purchase for 2010 announced before the season is out.

8 Dan Tolar –
Tough and some skill even if he does seem a bit on the small side for a starting prop. Did the job for us last year, even when injured and needs to do it again. I don’t think he will let us down but would feel better if there was someone else good enough to push him back to the bench. We seem to have too many impact props and Tolars’ body is paying for it. His skill set used to have us considering him as a 13 so if the rest of our pack can help shoulder the workload and rotation keeps him a bit fresher he may really shine and surprise a few people.

9 Isaac De Gois –
Not sure if he’s going to get the chance to play an 80 minute game each week and not really sure what he’s going to bring that Buderus didn’t. An emerging player that I’m hoping will take advantage of the two referees policing the ruck and make inroads through the middle that buderus was starting to drop off on. If he can develop a stronger and more creative passing game on the run I’d love to see our backrowers running off him in second phase and hope that we’ll have a new tough as teak danger man in the middle with plenty of tomorrows.

10 Ben Cross –
Doesn’t ever shirk the hard stuff and gad some good stats when fit. Big enough to bring back memories of Chief if he puts in at the start of the match and really singles out the oppositions props. To win over the doubters he has to be our go to man whenever we’re on the back foot - Simmo has been that for too long. If Cross can make sure he doesn’t get dominated due to poor body height in the tackle he’ll be the key to our season because it’s the only thing holding him back. Has developed a risky offload when going backwards but needs to keep it in his game for the second phase play it brings when it comes off and might stop as many defenders being able to commit to him. If the body’s good and the club comes before rep concerns at least initially he will make us proud.

11 Steve Simpson
Hopefully last season is just what he needed. It has been encouraging to see Simmo get an off season under his belt and I think we now have the support and depth in the back row for simmo to come into his own as a wide runner again. Hopefully the legs still have the speed required. In tight to start the match with his defence and strong hitups – a rest through the middle of the half and then on the fringes either side of half time should be the aim. This season will decide whether he plays out his career as a backrower or frontrower. No doubt he will be captain if anything happens to Gidley.

12 Cory Paterson
His days of being an unknown are over and the time has come for him to put the attack and defense together. With the pack of versatile hard running forwards we now have and the fact he showed us he can hit hard last year means that if he backs the defensive workload off a little this year it should be able to come together nicely. It could be a blessing that his attack wasn’t on song last year because it kept his profile down a bit and he learned he could contribute and build respect with other deeds. Has the world at his feet and is the perfect player for our team at the moment. Will not reach his peak until his body hardens up a bit more than it was last year but his peak should coincide with the what the team is building up to in the next 2 seasons.

13 Zeb Taia -
Not a Ben Kennedy or even a Billy Peden but he’s probably the best man for the job this year. Not as good at hitting holes and holding passes under pressure as I’d like and still can miss the odd tackle here and there that he should make. The fact that we have so many attacking and impact options already in the pack mean that a workhorse with the odd good run in him is probably exactly what we need to steady the ship. If there is that last bit of improvement left in him after he played so well last year then he’ll hold the spot all year.

14 Matt Hilder -
The most enthusiastic and effective defender through the middle we’ll probably ever have. Doesn’t necessarily smash anyone but doesn’t miss anyone either. Will fill the role of fill in hooker and small backrower in the rotation as required throughout a game -when he’s on the field the ruck is super tight. A shame he’s not big enough make the lock position his own but there needs to be a place for him in the side every week.

15 Richard Fa’aoso –
If he didn’t have feet for hands we would never have been able to afford him - so lets see if he keeps developing that part of his game this year before we worry too much about it. Seems to be our most fearless ball runner and can really keep the leg drive going even when hit by multiple defenders. Can hit a gap and can put on a hit. We need one of either Wicks or Fa’aoso to stand up as a prop this year and challenge to be a starter, with Richie being just so good at the impact role I hope Wicks rolls the sleeves up so Richie doesn’t have to move out of his current role.

16 Danny Wicks –
Based on last years performances, weight issues and the hearsay indicating a lack of commitment to training, Danny is lucky to get a start. Purely based on potential and hope that he takes some pride in himself and our team he will get a go at developing into a hard running hard working prop. If he can’t play enough minutes with a decent workload and or can’t improve lateral defense then Mark T will get a chance and nobody will take that place back if he ever gets established.

17 Chris Houston –
A player that tries hard and seems to have all the right ingredients at times but it doesn’t come together for him at others. Better suited to being in the starting side but there isn’t a spot for him at full strength this year. With some improvement in the power he hits the ball up with due to a decreased workload and a continued focus on staying on side and keeping his hands out of the ruck he has an opportunity to make a claim for a starting spot if anyone goes down or loses form. If this guy is on the bench – we have a strong forward pack.

Waiting for a chance

Mark Taufua –
Having played against him and been on the end of a few hits when he was playing rugby – I’ve followed Mark’s development closely. I’m still not sure why he’s pegged as a prop as there’s a lot more to him than that but it seems his best chance of getting game time. Getting older so needs to find a place in the team. I sense the forwards that don’t play much FG this year won’t be around next year and he’ll be trying hard to make sure he’s in the first 17 by the end of the year.

Cooper Vuna –
Where did the speed go? Hopefully Cooper has lost a bit of weight this year and got some speed back. Needs to have been working hard on defense but I think he can get that under control. The biggest worry is the fact he can’t catch a high ball and I don’t see that changing this year. Made some outstanding runs last year when he started to run straight and will be first back picked if someone in the starting side goes down. Could get a chance early with Wes being injured but will probably lose the spot at some stage. If Macdougall isn’t resigned he will have his chance to develop.

Tim Natusch
May play a game or two but still too far down the pecking order yet. Hopefully a season in the local comp on lesser fields doesn’t cause him to get injured or lose interest in working hard.

Marvan Karawana –
A gap filler when injury’s hit. Doesn’t have a role in the team anymore with so many utilities / backrowers and halves that appear to be better than him – not sure why we re signed this one.

Akuila Uate –
If he ever lives up to the promise he’ll be the best winger we’ve ever had. So many elements of his game to be worked on and so many options in front of him so will be interesting to see if and how he can be fitted in. Will get a chance at some stage and hopefully will have improved defense enough by then to demand a longer stay in the top team.

Luke Walsh –
Despite his lack of size and disrupted pre season, I can’t believe he didn’t even get a chance last year. Some elements of his game aren’t as good as Dureau but if Scott can’t learn to take on the line then Luke may take his spot. Not sure if he’s our answer but would like to see his game in First Grade at least one more time to decide.

Cameron Ciraldo –
A player that probably doesn’t do enough work to demand a place in the side. May play a handful of games.

George Ndaira-
Good signing if we still had a Premier League team and could build combinations and learn the clubs style of play for when we need a fill in hooker. Not sure how much game time he’ll get and where he fits into a full strength side.

Ben Rogers-
You know how there are players that you can’t believe made First grade and are glad they aren’t in your side – Well that’s Ben Rogers for me. Has played some good games and even against us but he’s no starting half in a side that’s going to win a comp (then again neither was S Rudder) and with hilder the Bench utility and Ndaira floating around – it worry’s me that we signed this guy. Unless he somehow turns in a season like John Simon did at Parra hope we’re good enough that he’s not playing for us.

The rest:

There are a few good juniors waiting in the wings but I don’t think we’ll see the Stig’s, Williams’s or Mata utai’s in 1st Grade this season. Luke Macdougall could come from the clouds but could just as easily get injured at training and retire.

Where will we finish?

We’re as well positioned, as any team to take advantage of the probable speeding up of the ruck area and as long as we get off to a good start it’s someone else’s turn to be picked on by the ref’s. Good enough to make the eight and even push for the title if everything went our way in the back half of the season. Probably a few teams that have more personnel at their peak than us next year (we’re still 2 season away in my opinion from seeing B Smiths vision (2010))

I’d love to say top 4 but I’m thinking 6th should be our aim.

Anything else?

Yes;

1.Sign a halfback for 2010 if nobody grabs it next year.
2.Sign a centre for 2010 if nobody grabs it next year
3.Get back in the Premier League ASAP
4.Extend B Smith for 2010 and then a new coach after that (Rip Taylor if available)

That’s probably enough of my opinion – From one knights fan to some others - let’s just hope it goes well!

Spike

First Grade
Pretty comprehensive evaluation of the side and well thought out. Can't disagree with much you have said, but unlike most I haven't written off Ben Rogers just yet. Has talent, but lacks consistency and I'm open to two different ways to go with a few others. I'm a big Zeb Taia fan, but I've been thinking of putting Hilder at lock with DeGois at hooker and Ndaira on the bench. This is for two reasons.

Firstly with Hilder and DeGois defending the middle of field at the same time, I feel as though this will strengthen our defence in the middle forcing teams to try and run around us instead of through us. With McDougall, Sau and McManus defending outwide, this isn't going to be much easier for the opposition.

Secondly, replacing DeGois who is already an attacking dummy-half with Ndaira who is another attacking half/hooker ten minutes before and after half-time, it will mean the opposition can not afford to switch off during this time and will allow DeGois to remain fresh with a break.

That being said, I'm more than happy with Taia at lock as well.

roopy

Referee
Good points on Marvelous Marvin - he is a guy who could easily shine if he gets a chance and is only 23 i think.
Lulia can't be written off.

perverse

Referee
great post mate. really enjoyed reading that little writeup. well thought out and pretty much spot on i think. not sure that's what my backline would look like, but it's as good as any really. we have a lot of options there.

macavity

Referee
My pick is Mark T for starting prop over Tolar and Houston starting over Pato.

I was a bit worried about forward depth this year, but it's not as bad as I thought.

Pika

Bench
Agree with House over Patto. I think the belief is that Patto does not have an 80 minute tank and is best used as impact with House doing the hard early yards.

If fit, I think Tolar will be our starting prop though.

Interested in hearing what forum members think of the centre combination that will run out early in the season.

Put a line through Doogs, I dont think he will get a contract. I am not sure whether Wes will be available either.

Rule out Jim, he is a lean 90kg at the moment, down from 98 this time last year. Stronger than ever and rediscovering some long lost pace. He is a fixture on the wing.

Glad people haven't been bored by the length of my post there.

I like the idea of an attacking hooker rotation but worry we might be carrying too many small forwards if we go that way. The way the season is shaping up with a big unknown around the ruck area - it could be a masterstroke though.

I haven't written Lulia off - just kind of forgot about him after mentioning him in Macdougalls write up. With news that Doogs is unlikely to be with us Lulia is right back into contention. Lulia hasn't been potent enough in attack as a centre in the games i've seen him play to date but with Wes and Doogs out to start the season it looks like we may end up with a Vuna or Uate starting the season on the wing. Who better than Lulia with his great defense to compliment their attack and get another chance alongside them.

Sounds like Mcmanus is going to be more potent as a winger as well so Sau and Lulia to be the centre pairing that starts the season.

I agree with Houston as a swap for Paterson - i guess i'm just wanting Paterson to keep what he has and develop into an 80 minute player with an eye on the next few years when simmo may be gone. This year may be too soon.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Agree with House over Patto. I think the belief is that Patto does not have an 80 minute tank and is best used as impact with House doing the hard early yards.

If fit, I think Tolar will be our starting prop though.

Interested in hearing what forum members think of the centre combination that will run out early in the season.

Put a line through Doogs, I dont think he will get a contract. I am not sure whether Wes will be available either.

Rule out Jim, he is a lean 90kg at the moment, down from 98 this time last year. Stronger than ever and rediscovering some long lost pace. He is a fixture on the wing.

Any chance of Vuna getting a crack in the centres?

He has the right frame and speed and playing one in would mean he wont have to contend too many high balls. His defence may not be up too it though :-k