What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 35 is up

hindy111

Post Whore
I assumed with the off season there wouldnt be a whole lot to talk about...
Have i missed much??

hindy111

Post Whore
On the squad we realy do have some front row options with terepo and j.Mannah both capable of playing first grade this year.Also Poore back.
Second row is still a little weak for me-Dont seem to have any real hole runners (other than reni) and i think POH is still a year away from beeing ready. Tautai could fill this role thou!
Backs look sharp.Id love to see Hayne Sio Loko Tongo Tonga...Fast and powerfull.I think Burt will struggle to hold his spot.
My early tip for rookie of the year is Terepo.He looks a great prospect.
Our biggest weakness in this squad thou is a player to come of the bench and spark things up.Not sure who it will be??

Maroubra Eel

Coach
On the squad we realy do have some front row options with terepo and j.Mannah both capable of playing first grade this year.Also Poore back.
Second row is still a little weak for me-Dont seem to have any real hole runners (other than reni) and i think POH is still a year away from beeing ready. Tautai could fill this role thou!
Backs look sharp.Id love to see Hayne Sio Loko Tongo Tonga...Fast and powerfull.I think Burt will struggle to hold his spot.
Our biggest weakness in this squad thou is a player to come of the bench and spark things up.Not sure who it will be??

Yeah dunno about the bench spark. Rogers was always going to be hard to replace.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Barba maybe?

Ben spent his first year mostly coming off the bench, with Roberts shifting to edge forward.

This is also how Cooper Cronk was used in his debut season, pushing Scott Hill into the back-row when he came on.

Roberts is a bit small for the forwards, at least in defence. But it could be a good way to ease Barba into first grade, assuming he hits the gear in the off-season and gains 30kg.

Otherwise we might just use 2 props and 2 back rowers off the bench this year. There's no rule saying you have to carry a hooker/half on the bench. In fact, if your entire starting side (minus props) can play 80 minutes then you could get away with only carrying two on the bench (both front-rowers). I'm not saying it's ideal but it's doable. No point bringing a bloke off if he doesn't need a rest, especially if he's being replaced by an inferior player.

MrT

Juniors
Barba maybe?

Ben spent his first year mostly coming off the bench, with Roberts shifting to edge forward.

This is also how Cooper Cronk was used in his debut season, pushing Scott Hill into the back-row when he came on.

Roberts is a bit small for the forwards, at least in defence. But it could be a good way to ease Barba into first grade, assuming he hits the gear in the off-season and gains 30kg.

Otherwise we might just use 2 props and 2 back rowers off the bench this year. There's no rule saying you have to carry a hooker/half on the bench. In fact, if your entire starting side (minus props) can play 80 minutes then you could get away with only carrying two on the bench (both front-rowers). I'm not saying it's ideal but it's doable. No point bringing a bloke off if he doesn't need a rest, especially if he's being replaced by an inferior player.

Sandow and Barba on field at same time? no way

I have watched Barba on numerous occassions, he's way too small and his defence would be the worst for a 1st grader if he were selected.

When he has the ball in his hands, he's one of the most exciting players

TommyGun

Juniors
I recall he was a gun, I hope the Sharks haven't ruined him

He was playing A grade for cabramatta towards the back end of this season. Was playing in the centres and looked pretty average, but I guess a full pre season could turn that around

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sandow and Barba on field at same time? no way

Fair point.

He could defend at fullback with Hayne coming up into the line. You're right that it's hard to hide two blokes in the defensive line. I'd say Barba won't play first grade until he's a lot bigger.

Sandow's BMI is just fine for first grade (about 26); his problem is he's too short (173cm).

Barba is nearly as short (174cm according to the club's website) but his BMI is under 23 - far too skinny.

Even if he did bulk up he would still be short, and teams would have weak defensive options on both sides of the field to target, if he and Sandow were in the defensive line together. That's why I think Barba might play fullback if he came on. Even there he has his weaknesses, as we saw this year in Toyota Cup.

Stagger eel

Staff member
by the way, if Marmin Barba was available in the open market he'd have more than half the NRL comp after him..he's definitely the sort of player that would fit right into any squad in the comp, brilliant with some edging that needs smoothing out, a definite project player.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
by the way, if Marmin Barba was available in the open market he'd have more than half the NRL comp after him..he's definitely the sort of player that would fit right into any squad in the comp, brilliant with some edging that needs smoothing out, a definite project player.

Like I said, if he does turn out to be a first grader he'll be a match winner. Just like his brother.

Eelsman18

Juniors
Time can certainly be modelled as a continuum, with individual moments represented as points along said continuum. This is the linear perception of time - this is time as we experience it.

So while you mightn't be aware of Cameron's new role at the club at this point in time, you certainly were well aware of it at a previous point in time (likely multiple points actually) and these points in time all lay along the continuum representing that range of time prior to the present - the time we have already experienced.

My hope for you, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this feeling, is that you once again become aware of the title of Matt Cameron's new role at the club at a future point in time - that is, a point (or points) in time along the continuum which represents that range of time yet to be experienced.

Of course, none of this takes into account alternate models of time, many of which would see you simultaneously knowing and not knowing what Cameron will be doing at the Eels in 2012.

Sounds like we're headed into the future or something.
Time is definitely a continuum though, yes.

I'm sure eventually, it will come to me.

Eelsman18

Juniors

From what I've seen of Paddy O, he's ready.

If we can emulate the partnership that he had with Barba in the NYC, with Hayne or Sandow, then it'll be a confidence boost for Paddy and the club.

He's going to be that fringe, wide-running second-rower that we seem to have lacked over the last few years.

hindy111

Post Whore
Marmin isnt that short just thin-Preston and bowen are shorter and both where great players.As was langer-toovey.His problem is weight-and once he bulks up will he still have the explosiveness....
POH? can he develop into the backrower we need off the bench?? I still think he wont be ready till 2013 based on what i saw last year...
I also hope John Mannah can step uo-Would be great to see him and his brother play alongside each other