What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 35 is up

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Marmin isnt that short just thin-Preston and bowen are shorter and both where great players.As was langer-toovey.His problem is weight-and once he bulks up will he still have the explosiveness....
POH? can he develop into the backrower we need off the bench?? I still think he wont be ready till 2013 based on what i saw last year...
I also hope John Mannah can step uo-Would be great to see him and his brother play alongside each other

I would consider using Fui of the bench as an edge forward. He di in the game against souths this year and he was very very good, plus we have enough proprs to cover for him

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Marmin isnt that short just thin-Preston and bowen are shorter and both where great players.As was langer-toovey.His problem is weight-and once he bulks up will he still have the explosiveness....

Fair point about Campbell and Bowen but neither are good defenders, even if their tackling technique is good.

Even though little guys like Campbell and Sandow are able to smash big blokes from time to time, they still miss plenty of tackles, and they still concede plenty of offloads when they do make the tackle.

As for losing explosiveness, Ben Barba is close to 90kg (up from about 75kg in '09) and he's still got plenty left.

POH? can he develop into the backrower we need off the bench?? I still think he wont be ready till 2013 based on what i saw last year...

Young blokes can improve massively in the space of one off season.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I would consider using Fui of the bench as an edge forward. He di in the game against souths this year and he was very very good, plus we have enough proprs to cover for him

It's a great way to use all/most of our front-rowers, plus we could get more minutes out of Fui.

Eelsman18

Juniors
Youu guys have to have Chayse Blair alone side Willie Tonga in the centres, Blair is sooo gun !

I'd imagine that Jacob Loko will partner Tonga in the centres.

Would have thought that Kelepi Tanginoa would be in the NYC squad by now. Anyone know why he isn't?

Too young?

I think he's just finished year 11 so he's max 18 next year.

Actually, I just had a quick browse, I think he's only 16.
He played in the SG Ball this year, but I'm not sure how he went.

Then again, I could have the wrong info, and he may not be 16.

Either way, he's a great talent, and will no doubt feature somewhere in the NYC side very, very soon.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'd imagine that Jacob Loko will partner Tonga in the centres.

I don't think it's a given.

Actually, I just had a quick browse, I think he's only 16.
He played in the SG Ball this year, but I'm not sure how he went.

Was he in Harold Matts in 2010? Because he carved up in that video. Far too good for whatever level it was.

Then again, I could have the wrong info, and he may not be 16.

Either way, he's a great talent, and will no doubt feature somewhere in the NYC side very, very soon.

And now our recruiting/retention is being run by blokes with half a clue, hopefully he won't be coming off contract right when Manly needs him.

Eelsman18

Juniors
I don't think it's a given.

Was he in Harold Matts in 2010? Because he carved up in that video. Far too good for whatever level it was.

And now our recruiting/retention is being run by blokes with half a clue, hopefully he won't be coming off contract right when Manly needs him.

Loko's on the right track to overcoming his injury sooner than expected, so it holds him in good stead to potentially be fit for the start of the 2012 NRL season.

To be honest, I'm not sure.
I think he may have been in Harold Matts in 2010 though, yes.
It's not the most reliable source at times, but this link (albeit one that hasn't been updated), mentions Tanginoa, as a HM player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CVD_Edensor_Park_Cobras

Freak2

Juniors
I like the idea of playing Fui as a wide running back rower this year. Look at the damage D Taylor did for Souths this year. It certainly provides another option in attack which would then allow further space for Hayne and Tonga to do their stuff.

Poore and T. Mannah up front or even Hindmarsh.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Taylor's problem is Souths' problem - poor defence on the edges. This is the issue plaguing another awesome attacking edge forward - Feleti Mateo.

I've said before that I consider Taylor and Mateo to be the two best attacking edge forwards in the game - better even than Gallen, Blair and Thaiday. But where those three are good defenders anywhere on the field, Taylor and Mateo are shit defenders out wide, and would be better suited defending in the middle (where their attack would be wasted, unfortunately).

Burgess is another one who attacks well out wide but defends poorly there. I'm amazed that Lang persisted with him on the edge, when he's so great attacking and defending in the middle.

Anyway, my point was that Fui is another one who is sub-par defending on the edge. He is great when he attacks there, for sure. But it's a very important defensive position.

I reckon Souths' woes come down to three players (surprisingly not everyone's favourite whipping boys Inglis, Sutton and Sandow). Taylor and Burgess are poor defenders (at least on the edge) playing in key defensive positions, and Isaac Luke gets lazier as the game wears on. If he's going to play 80 minutes maybe they could just defend him on the edge where he doesn't have to do as much work. Of course this doesn't answer the question of what to do with whoever would have been defending in that position.

Bit of a tangent there, but I'm always amazed at how people pick their scapegoats based on a player's on-field persona. Souths are a good attacking team with poor defence. To blame this on the halves (and Inglis) just because people don't like their personalities is idiotic. Sutton and Sandow created plenty of tries this year and every other year, and Inglis went well after the first couple of rounds (basically after playing us the first time).

Umm, was I saying something about Fui? I dunno.

Latest posts