What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TOP 40 Albums of alltime - Discussion

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Evilgrowler said:
Halfy, you shoosh now. Led Zeppelin were awesome in their time.

And still are.

They get more CD air play in may car, than anyone else.

Anonymous

Juniors
And, finally, for the sake of a bit more info, here's the top 25 CDs as according to a massive worldwide survery conducted by radio listeners around the world through ratethemusic.com

1. EAGLES-Hotel California
2. NIRVANA-Nevermind
3. U2-The Joshua Tree
4. BEATLES-The Beatles (White Album)
5. BEATLES-Abbey Road
6. PINK FLOYD-Dark Side Of The Moon
7. BEATLES-Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
8. AC/DC-Back In Black
9. PINK FLOYD-The Wall
10. METALLICA-Metallica
11. FLEETWOOD MAC-Rumours
12. GUNS N' ROSES-Appetite For Destruction
13. ELTON JOHN-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
14. SANTANA-Santana
15. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN-Born In The U.S.A.
16. METALLICA-Master Of Puppets
17. AC/DC-Highway To Hell
18. SIMON & GARFUNKEL-Bridge Over Troubled Waters
19. LED ZEPPELIN-Untitled (IV)
20. LED ZEPPELIN-Led Zeppelin
21. QUEEN-Sheer Heart Attack
22. PEARL JAM-Ten
23. U2-War
24. BEACH BOYS-Pet Sounds
25. AEROSMITH-Pump

CyberKev

Staff member
El Garbo said:
The whole list reads more like a 'Most Influential CDs of All Time' list as opposed to 'Best CDs' but I suppose that's to be expected given the nature of the polling.

Indeed...

But that's going to be the weakness of any poll-driven list, the biases of those polled and the obvious limitations apparent in getting a thorough view across diverse musical typologies. There's also the not too inconsiderable matter of these lists carrying an umistakeable American/Western European focus.

Short of polling every person in the world on thier individual top 40 listings, these sorts of exercises will always be more for debate than concrete assertions.

Which is what I was expecting in starting the thread to begin with.

CyberKev

Anonymous

Juniors
There's also the not too inconsiderable matter of these lists carrying an umistakeable American/Western European focus

Exactly. Of the whole top 500, only two Australian CDs made the cut - both AC/DC. Bob Marley gave Jamaica a fair slice of the pie, and the Buena Vista Social Club got Cuba into the list. Pretty much the rest of the list is from the USA or West Europe... and the few outsiders I mentioned wouldn't have been taken into consideration if they hadn't managed to crack the charts in these two massive markets.

Once Dead

Bench
DaleyIsGod said:
Evilgrowler said:
Hmm....Guns 'n' Roses are overrated for mine. Some good songs but nothing that really stands out. I never saw what the big deal was about slash either. A mediocre guitarist at best.

I respect your opinion on guitarists and enjoy many of the same axemen as you. But I'm gonna have to disagree with you on Slash. He touches my soul with his wailing.

Still, Appetite was a HUGE album in all respects...some of the greatest songs in the rock genre were born on that album........Slash comes up with some weird stuff but its still awesome....but he's better non-drugged

El Garbo said:
And, finally, for the sake of a bit more info, here's the top 25 CDs as according to a massive worldwide survery conducted by radio listeners around the world through ratethemusic.com

*SNIP*

A top list. I might move a few around (Zeppelin up the list), but I wouldn't muck with it too much.

Here's a question, considering that list, and a few notable artists left off, could 1991 compete with 1969 for the greatest musical year ever?

1991 includes...
Metallica
Guns and Roses
U2
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Red Hot Chili Peppers (only band not on the list)

Oh, and Billy Ray Cyrus.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Danish Moo Cow said:
El Garbo said:

*SNIP*

A top list. I might move a few around (Zeppelin up the list), but I wouldn't muck with it too much.

Here's a question, considering that list, and a few notable artists left off, could 1991 compete with 1969 for the greatest musical year ever?

1991 includes...
Metallica
Guns and Roses
U2
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Red Hot Chili Peppers (only band not on the list)

Oh, and Billy Ray Cyrus.

I agree...throw in "Ice Ice Baby", "KLF" :lol: :lol:

Stone Temple Pilots "Core" album was also released that year and that album is well aclaimed.

As a 70's man, I don't mind the original list. Except for the following:

Delta Goodrem, Savage friggin' Garden and Shania Twain.

Savage Garden are my all-time most hated band. Schmaltzy, limp-dicked musical slugs.

Apart from those 3, if a station played exclusively from the rest, I'd be listening.

I thought the Xanadu soundtrack might have made it. Absolutely shite movie but great soundtrack.

Anonymous

Juniors
Nah. I'm probably whiter than the list, because there was at least one black guy in one of them.

I suppose the wise thing to do would be to shush my mouth, and applaud my fellow whitey for our total domination of world music.

Anonymous

Juniors
In the Rolling Stone top 500, there were a fair number of black musicians. Not sure how many made the top 40 though, but through the whole thing I reckon they were fairly represented.

Anonymous

Juniors
Okay, just from the Top 40 Rolling Stone list, these are the black musicians listed:

Jimi Hendrix
Michael Jackson
Chuck Berry
Miles Davis
Marvin Gaye
Stevie Wonder
James Brown
Robert Johnson
Muddy Waters

That's just shy of a quarter of the list... so I think you're slightly off key there Thierry.

Anonymous

Juniors
Haha... well just out of personal interest, I went through the top 100 to see how well represented blacks are. Here's what I found:

27 CD's by black artists.

In comparison...

5 CD's by female artists, 2 of which were by a black female artist.

Draw what conclusions you will.

El Garbo said:
Here's the top 40 from Rolling Stone's recent Top 500 greatest CDs of all time... for the sake of a comparison.

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles
2. Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys
3. Revolver, The Beatles
4. Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan
5. Rubber Soul, The Beatles
6. What's Going On, Marvin Gaye
7. Exile on Main Street, The Rolling Stones
8. London Calling, The Clash
9. Blonde on Blonde, Bob Dylan
10. The Beatles ("The White Album"), The Beatles
11. The Sun Sessions, Elvis Presley
12. Kind of Blue, Miles Davis
13. Velvet Underground and Nico, The Velvet Underground
14. Abbey Road, The Beatles
15. Are You Experienced?, The Jimi Hendrix Experience
16. Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan
17. Nevermind, Nirvana
18. Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen
19. Astral Weeks, Van Morrison
20. Thriller, Michael Jackson
21. The Great Twenty-Eight, Chuck Berry
22. Plastic Ono Band, John Lennon
23. Innervisions, Stevie Wonder
24. Live at the Apollo (1963), James Brown
25. Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
26. The Joshua Tree, U2
27. King of the Delta Blues Singers, Vol. 1, Robert Johnson
28. Who's Next, The Who
29. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin
30. Blue, Joni Mitchell
31. Bringing It All Back Home, Bob Dylan
32. Let It Bleed, The Rolling Stones
33. Ramones, Ramones
34. Music From Big Pink, The Band
35. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, David Bowie
36. Tapestry, Carole King
37. Hotel California, The Eagles
38. The Anthology, 1947 - 1972, Muddy Waters
39. Please Please Me, The Beatles
40. Forever Changes, Love

That's a good list, though I'm surprised Elton John's not on there. I assume he was represented on the rest of the list, along with some of the other singer-songwriters of the 70s, like James Taylor, Carly Simon, Neil Young.