What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TOP 40 Albums of alltime - Discussion

CyberKev

Staff member
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
As a 70's man, I don't mind the original list. Except for the following:

I thought the Xanadu soundtrack might have made it. Absolutely shite movie but great soundtrack.

Haha, EA, I reckon our musical tastes are close enough for us to work brilliantly as a 'good cop/bad cop' combo :p

I'm bravely operating without backup from the sarcasm detector here and risking that you're playing it straight, but I would shamelessly have placed XANADU in my personal Top 40 list. I was wrapt to the knackers a few years back when I happened across a copy of the CD in a bargain bin for $10. The young sales lass gave me the most sympathetic of patronising looks when I was paying for it, but having already been through the process a year earlier when buying SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER I really didn't give a fat cat's ginger! 8)

ELO are hot for teacher and would also have had a couple of albums in my Top 40.

Sod me sideways, coming up with a mere top 5 was a problematic undertaking...

MAKING MOVIES ahead of BROTHERS IN ARMS & LOVE OVER GOLD!

TOO LOW FOR ZERO before GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD & MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER!

BAD FOR GOOD, but no BAT OUT OF HELL!

No room for The Eagles or Billy Joel.

No space for Neil Young's HARVEST, Steve Winwood's ARC OF A DIVER, or Supertramp's CRIME OF THE CENTURY!

Van Morrisson, Van Halen, Pink Floyd & John Lennon all robbed blind!

To say nothing of not finding a place for The Beatles who could easily have had 3 albums get up!

Its all a little too much really, think I'll go down and settle my jangled nerves with a few tracks from the XANADU soundtrack :twisted:

CyberKev

Anonymous

Juniors
Arrrgh, that lists ridiculous. They only find room for one Wu-Tang album (at no.386!) yet they fit in 3 Eminem albums, and 2 by Jay-Z and B.I.G. (even though B.I.G. only made one album that could even be called "good"). Also, they are obviously big fans of Public Enemy because they put like 3 or 4 of their albums in. How could they put in "The Score", "The Blueprint" or "The Eminem Show", but leave out "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx", "Liquid Swords", or Mobb Deep's "The Infamous". "The Infamous" in particular basically revolutionised gangsta rap and invented a new style of "reality based" hardcore, which, like it or hate it, is still huge today.

CyberKev said:
As a 70's man, I don't mind the original list. Except for the following:

I thought the Xanadu soundtrack might have made it. Absolutely shite movie but great soundtrack.

Haha, EA, I reckon our musical tastes are close enough for us to work brilliantly as a 'good cop/bad cop' combo :p

I'm bravely operating without backup from the sarcasm detector here and risking that you're playing it straight, but I would shamelessly have placed XANADU in my personal Top 40 list. I was wrapt to the knackers a few years back when I happened across a copy of the CD in a bargain bin for $10. The young sales lass gave me the most sympathetic of patronising looks when I was paying for it, but having already been through the process a year earlier when buying SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER I really didn't give a fat cat's ginger! 8)

ELO are hot for teacher and would also have had a couple of albums in my Top 40.

Sod me sideways, coming up with a mere top 5 was a problematic undertaking...

MAKING MOVIES ahead of BROTHERS IN ARMS & LOVE OVER GOLD!

TOO LOW FOR ZERO before GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD & MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER!

BAD FOR GOOD, but no BAT OUT OF HELL!

No room for The Eagles or Billy Joel.

No space for Neil Young's HARVEST, Steve Winwood's ARC OF A DIVER, or Supertramp's CRIME OF THE CENTURY!

Van Morrisson, Van Halen, Pink Floyd & John Lennon all robbed blind!

To say nothing of not finding a place for The Beatles who could easily have had 3 albums get up!

Its all a little too much really, think I'll go down and settle my jangled nerves with a few tracks from the XANADU soundtrack :twisted:

CyberKev

LOL

No sarcasm.

I thought about it before saying it, but then I dragged the CD out and played "All over the World" so I said it. I love ELO and I don't care who knows.

Actually, my favourite track is Dancin', the duet with ONJ and the Tubes. It doesn't sound as good in the movie as it does on the Soundtrack. The way the songs intertwine is superb.

I really like everyone you mentioned and usually do. I don't know if that makes us pathetic old farts or true music aficionados. I believe the latter. ;-) lol

Thierry Henry said:
or Mobb Deep's "The Infamous". "The Infamous" in particular basically revolutionised gangsta rap and invented a new style of "reality based" hardcore, which, like it or hate it, is still huge today.

So huge in fact that I've never heard of them. I just asked my sons and they haven't heard of them either.

My wife misheard me and asked if they're related to Johnny Depp?

Yep, they're huge.

Thierry Henry said:
or Mobb Deep's "The Infamous". "The Infamous" in particular basically revolutionised gangsta rap and invented a new style of "reality based" hardcore, which, like it or hate it, is still huge today.

So huge in fact that I've never heard of them. I just asked my sons and they haven't heard of them either.

Yep, they're huge.

lol :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors

Yep, they're huge.

I didn't say they were huge. I said the style of music that they more or less invented/revolutionised was and is still huge. Plus it's about the best albums, not the best known. Also, I'll bet there were plenty on that top 500 who you'd never heard of.

"The Infamous" is a better album that any of the three by Eminem, or anything by Jay-Z, or "Born Again" by Notorious B.I.G, or at least one of the three Public Enemy albums that made the list.

Thierry Henry said:
I didn't say they were huge. I said the style of music that they more or less invented/revolutionised was and is still huge. Plus it's about the best albums, not the best known. Also, I'll bet there were plenty on that top 500 who you'd never heard of.

"The Infamous" is a better album that any of the three by Eminem, or anything by Jay-Z, or "Born Again" by Notorious B.I.G, or at least one of the three Public Enemy albums that made the list.

I've heard of Eminem, Notorious BIG etc., they'll be distant memories for a small part of the population in 20 years. Probably just be answers to trivia questions.

Just as Vanilla Ice is now.

But people will still be listening to music from the 60's, 70's and even the 80's.

Why?

Because that is when music peaked. The 90's and 00's have been crap in comparison.

CyberKev

Staff member
I've heard of Eminem, Notorious BIG etc., they'll be distant memories for a small part of the population in 20 years. Probably just be answers to trivia questions.

Just as Vanilla Ice is now.

But people will still be listening to music from the 60's, 70's and even the 80's.

Why?

Because that is when music peaked. The 90's and 00's have been crap in comparison.

I'm not so sure of this, EA.

Like you, I have precious little time for most nineties & noughties music, and feel that hip hop & house music has little to enable it to pass the test of time. Its also clear that, with regard to mainstream music, this same period has been characterised by an inordinate quantity of 70s & 80s song covers, which may be an indication that the present day music scene is growing light-on for originality and fresh talent.

In saying this, however, I would readily concede that there would have been no shortage of unimpressed thirty/fortysomethings bemoaning the state of 60s music in comparison to the 50s, 70s in comparison to the 60s, 80s in comparison to the 70s, etc.

70s & 80s music have held up well from an elapsed time standpoint, and we'll only be able to accurately assess the nineties in another ten years or so.

Just to be fair... 8)

CyberKev

CyberKev said:
I'm not so sure of this, EA.

Like you, I have precious little time for most nineties & noughties music, and feel that hip hop & house music has little to enable it to pass the test of time. Its also clear that, with regard to mainstream music, this same period has been characterised by an inordinate quantity of 70s & 80s song covers, which may be an indication that the present day music scene is growing light-on for originality and fresh talent.

In saying this, however, I would readily concede that there would have been no shortage of unimpressed thirty/fortysomethings bemoaning the state of 60s music in comparison to the 50s, 70s in comparison to the 60s, 80s in comparison to the 70s, etc.

70s & 80s music have held up well from an elapsed time standpoint, and we'll only be able to accurately assess the nineties in another ten years or so.

Just to be fair... 8)

CyberKev

Possibly. But there is a precedent.

When the Seventies and Eighties were roaring along musically, there wasn't a plethora of "oldies" stations playing 40's and 50's stuff. I think 2CH was about it.

There are still a lot of stations playing 60's, 70's and 80's music even now. I just don't think they'll be playing the rubbish that permeates our soundwaves currently in 20 years. They'll still be playing the stuff from when music peaked.

Example, my kids have gone through different stages, S Club 7 :lol: were one of their favourite bands a couple of years ago. But, now that they're in their mid to late teens, my CD's are finding their way onto their CD players. Led Zep, Slade, Beach Boys etc.

They still listen to the new stuff and they all have different tastes, but they all listen to the old stuff too.

Azkatro

First Grade
CanadianSteve said:
That's a good list, though I'm surprised Elton John's not on there. I assume he was represented on the rest of the list, along with some of the other singer-songwriters of the 70s, like James Taylor, Carly Simon, Neil Young.

Elton John was never a singer/songwriter per-say. Bernie Taupin wrote all his songs, while Reggie was just a bloody good performer.

As far as decades for music go, I would say that the 60's was by far the most fertile decade musically, when you talk about rock and pop. While the 90's would probably be a whisker ahead of the 80's when talking about rap and hip-hop.

blackfriday

Juniors
this was from a smh online poll:

top 10 albums:

Radiohead, OK Computer
Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon
U2, Joshua Tree
The Beatles, Abbey Rd
Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin
Nirvana, Nevermind
Jeff Buckley, Grace
The Beatles, Revolver