What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TOP 40 Albums of alltime - Discussion

CyberKev

Staff member
Yesterday, in an alternative thread, I had an exchange with Everlovin' Antichrist regarding a Top 40 Albums of alltime list that was being unveiled by MIX 106.3 FM in Canberra. The station has a clear 70s & 80s bent, which is clearly reflected in the voting and final table, but I thought I'd present the list here for further comment and debate. The less said about the appearance of "flavour of the month" Aussie Delta Goodrem here the better, although at least she didn't go top ten.

No Album Artist
1 Hotel California Eagles
2 Brothers in arms Dire Straits
3 Rumours Fleetwood mac
4 Bat out of hell Meatloaf
5 Dark side of the moon Pink Floyd
6 Tapestry Carole King
7 Hot august night Neil Diamond
8 Whispering jack John Farnham
9 A night at the opera Queen
10 IV Led zeppelin
11 Goodbye yellowbrick road Elton John
12 Joshua tree U2
13 Innocent eyes Delta Goodrem
14 Arrival abba
15 Sgt peppers Beatles
16 Come on over Shania Twain
17 Born in the usa Bruce Springsteen
18 Thriller Michael Jackson
19 American pie Don Mclean
20 Affirmation Savage garden
21 Hell freezes over Eagles
22 Piano man Billy Joel
23 Grease Soundtrack
24 Abbey road Beatles
25 New world record ELO
26 but seriously Phil Collins
27 The wall Pink floyd
28 Bridge over troubled water Simon and Garfunkel
29 Yourself or someone like you Matchbox 20
30 Imagine John lennon
31 Rattle and Hum U2
32 Tea for the tillerman Cat Stevens
33 More than you think you are Matchbox 20
34 Saturday night fever Bee gees
35 A kind of magic Queen
36 Crime of the century Supertramp
37 Fleetwood mac Fleetwood mac
38 Reckless Bryan Adams
39 Silk degrees Boz scaggs
40 Discovery ELO

CyberKev

Kill The Wabbit

Juniors
how the hell did goodrem make the list?

shes been in the industry for 5 minutes compared to most there.

this is an outrage. she shows no skin like she should and makes the top 40. im writing to my member of parliment.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haven't they heard of Elvis or Bing Crosby. I'm not big fans of them myself, but they sold shitloads of albums, I would've expected to see them there.

That is not a general public top 40. That's some knob end's top 40. Delta isn't even close to top 400. How pathetic.

Matt23

Staff member
Maybe we should discuss, what we here at LU consider to be the top 40 albums of all time then...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
okay here are some classic albums IMO

A Night At The Opera-Queen
Metallica (The Black Album)-Metallica
(What's The Story) Morning Glory-Oasis
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road-Elton John
as well as some classic works by Elvis, Beatles and other legendary artists

Matt23 said:
Maybe we should discuss, what we here at LU consider to be 40 albums of all time then...

truer words have never been spoken

there's some great artists in that list, but for the most part that list eats ass. It's too 1 dimensional.

half-man said:
don't forget dr dre - the chronic

WORD UP. Dont forget Snoops Doggystyle, Biggies - Ready 2 Die, Bone's - e.1999 eternal, Wu tang's 36 chambers, Raekwons - only built for cuban linx, gza's liquid swords...i could go on all day.

half

Coach
nas - illmatic?

you would expect 3 to 5 rap albums to make a true top 40 list

CyberKev

Staff member
For comparison purposes, here is a list of TOP 40 Alltime albums based upon sales figures recorded in the UK. Sales can give a clearly different view to charts devised from voting, with the obvious drawback being the necessary inclusion of soundtrack and various albums. On the plus side, Sales-based charts offer a better reflection of album quality over a broader range of decades.

1. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" - The Beatles (1967) (4.5 million copies)

Tracks: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band / With a Little Help from My Friends / Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds / Getting Better / Fixing a Hole / She's Leaving Home / Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! / Within You, Without You / When I'm Sixty-Four / Lovely Rita / Good Morning, Good Morning / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) / A Day in the Life

2. "(What's The Story) Morning Glory" - Oasis (1995) (4.2 million)

Tracks: Hello / Roll With It / Wonderwall / Don't Look Back In Anger / Hey Now / untitled / Some Might Say / Cast No Shadow / She's Electric / Morning Glory / untitled / Champagne Supernova

3. "Brothers In Arms" - Dire Straits (1985) (3.9 million)

Tracks: So Far Away / Money For Nothing / Walk Of Life / Your Latest Trick / Why Worry / Ride Across The River / Man's Too Strong / One World / Brothers In Arms

4. "Bad" - Michael Jackson (1987) (3.9 million)

Tracks: Bad / Way You Make Me Feel / Speed Demon / Liberian Girl / Just Good Friends / Another Part Of Me / Man In The Mirror / I Just Can't Stop Loving You / Dirty Diana / Smooth Criminal / Leave Me Alone

5. "The Immaculate Collection" - Madonna (1990) (3.6 million)

Tracks: Holiday / Lucky Star / Borderline / Like A Virgin / Material Girl / Crazy For You / Into The Groove / Live To Tell / Papa Don't Preach / Open Your Heart / La Isla Bonita / Like A Prayer / Express Yourself / Cherish / Vogue / Justify My Love / Rescue Me

6. "Abba Gold Greatest Hits" - Abba (1992) (3.6 million)

Tracks: Dancing Queen / Knowing Me, Knowing You / Take A Chance On Me / Mamma Mia / Lay All Your Love On Me / Super Trouper / I Have A Dream / The Winner Takes It All / Money, Money, Money / S.O.S. / Chiquitita / Fernando / Voulez Vous / Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) / Does Your Mother Know / One Of Us / The Name Of The Game / Thank You For The Music / Waterloo

7. "Stars" - Simply Red (1991) (3.6 million)

Tracks: Something Got Me Started / Stars / Thrill Me / Your Mirror / She's Got It Bad / For Your Babies / Model / How Could I Fall / Freedom / Wonderland

8. "Thriller" - Michael Jackson (1982) (3.3 million)

Tracks: Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' / Baby Be Mine / Girl Is Mine / Thriller / Beat It / Billie Jean / Human Nature / P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) / Lady In My Life

9. "Greatest Hits (Volume One)" - Queen (1981) (3.3 million)

Tracks: Bohemian Rhapsody / Another One Bites The Dust / Killer Queen / Fat Bottomed Girls / Bicycle Race / You're My Best Friend / Don't Stop Me Now / Save Me / Crazy Little Thing Called Love / Now I'm Here / Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy / Play The Game / Flash / Seven Seas Of Rhye / We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions / Somebody To Love

10. "Jagged Little Pill" - Alanis Morissette (2002) (3.0 million)

Tracks: All I Really Want / You Oughta Know / Perfect / Hand in My Pocket / Right Through You / Forgiven / You Learn / Head over Feet / Mary Jane / Ironic / Not the Doctor / Wake Up / You Oughta Know (alternate take)

11. "Come On Over" - Shania Twain (2000) (3.0 million)

Tracks: You're Still The One / When / From This Moment On / Black Eyes Blue Tears / I Won't Leave You Lonely / I'm Holdin' On To Love (To Save My Life) / Come On Over / You've Got A Way / Whatever You Do Don't / Man I Feel Like A Woman / Love Gets Me Every Time / Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You) / That Don't Impress Me Much / Honey I'm Home / If You Wanna Touch Her Ask / Rock This Country

12. "Rumours" - Fleetwood Mac (2000) (3.0 million)

Tracks: Second Hand News / Dreams / Never Going Back Again / Don't Stop / Go Your Own Way / Songbird / Chain / You Make Loving Fun / I Don't Want To Know / Oh Daddy / Gold Dust Woman

13. "Spice" - The Spice Girls (1996) (3.0 million)

Tracks: Wannabe / Say You'll Be There / 2 Become 1 / Love Thing / Last Time Lover / Mama / Who Do You Think You Are / Something Kinda Funny / Naked / If U Can't Dance

14. "No Angel" - Dido (2002) (2.8 million)

Tracks: Here With Me / Hunter / Don't Think Of Me / My Lover's Gone / All You Want / Thank You / Honestly Ok / Slide / Isobel / I'm No Angel / My Life / Take My Hand

15. "I've Been Expecting You" - Robbie Williams (2000) (2.7 million)

Tracks: Strong / No Regrets / Millennium / Phoenix From The Flames / Win Some Lose Some / Grace / It's Only Us / Heaven From Here / Karma Killer / She's The One / Man Machine / These Dreams

16. "Talk On Corners" - The Corrs (1999) (2.7 million)

Tracks: Only When I Sleep / When He's Not Around / Dreams / What Can I Do? / I Never Loved You Anyway / So Young / Don't Say You Love Me / Love Gives Love Takes / Hopelessly Addicted / Paddy Mccarthy (instrumental) / Intimacy / Queen Of Hollywood / No Good For Me / Little Wing

17. "The Very Best Of Elton John" - Elton John (1995) (2.7 million)

Tracks: Your Song / Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long, Long Time) / Honky Cat / Crocodile Rock / Daniel / Goodbye Yellow Brick Road / Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting / Candle In The Wind / Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me / Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds / Philadelphia Freedom / Someone Saved My Life Tonight / Pinball Wizard / Bitch Is Back / Don't Go Breaking My Heart / Bennie And The Jets / Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word / Song For Guy / Part-Time Love / Blue Eyes / I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues / I'm Still Standing / Kiss The Bride / Sad Songs (Say So Much) / Passengers / Nikita / I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That / Sacrifice / Easier To Walk Away / You Gotta Love Someone

18. "White Ladder" - David Gray (2002) (2.6 million)

Tracks: Please Forgive Me / Babylon / My Oh My / We're Not Right / Nightblindness / Silver Lining / White Ladder / This Years Love / Sail Away / Say Hello Wave Goodbye

19. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Simon & Garfunkel (1970) (2.5 million)

Tracks: Bridge Over Troubled Water / El Condor Pasa / Cecilia / Keep The Customer Satisfied / So Long Frank Lloyd Wright / Boxer / Baby Driver / Only Living Boy In New York / Why Don't You Write Me / Bye Bye Love / Song For The Asking

20. "Greatest Hits" - Simon & Garfunkel (1972) (2.5 million)

Tracks: Mrs Robinson / For Emily Wherever I May Find Her / Boxer / 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy) / Sound Of Silence / I Am A Rock / Scarborough Fair / Canticle / Homeward Bound / Bridge Over Troubled Water / America / Kathy's Song / If I Could / Bookends / Cecilia

21. "Sing When You're Winning" - Robbie Williams (2.4m)

22. "Urban Hymns" - Verve (2.4m)

23. "Robson And Jerome" - Robson & Jerome (2.4m)

24. "Sound Of Music" - Soundtrack (2.4m)

25. "Greatest Hits Vol.II" - Queen (2.4m)

26. "The Man Who" - Travis (2.4m)

27. "Simply The Best" - Tina Turner (2.4m)

28. "But Seriously" - Phil Collins (2.4m)

29. "Life For Rent" - Dido (2.2m)

30. "Swing When You're Winning" - Robbie Williams (2.1m)

31. "The Marshall Mathers LP" - Eminem (2.1m)

32. "1" - Beatles (2.1m)

33. "Now That's What I Call Music 44" - Various (2.1m)

34. "Ladies & Gentlemen - The Best Of..." - George Michael (2.1m)

35. "Life Thru A Lens" - Robbie Williams (2.1m)

36. "Falling Into You" - Celine Dion (2.1m)

37. "A New Flame" - Simply Red (2.1m)

38. "Tubular Bells" - Mike Oldfield (2.1m)

39. "The Bodyguard" - Soundtrack (2.1m)

40 "Bat Out Of Hell" - Meat Loaf (2.1m)

CyberKev

half-man said:
nas - illmatic?

you would expect 3 to 5 rap albums to make a true top 40 list

yep. Flawless album. As I left this thread I thought "shit I didnt put Illmatic, or any of Tupac's 3 classics. Me Against the world, All eyez on me & Makaveli.

incredible_holc

Juniors
yeh i mean they had matchbox 20 yet no RHCP???????

Califonrication had to be there somewhere?
and NWA has to be in the rap part somewhere?