What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 6 biggest hitters

age.s

First Grade
It always annoys me that Burgess gets all the credit for that hit on Bell. Lowe had more in that tackle than Burgess did, at best it was 50/50. Given that he's a no name his name never gets brought up when referencing it.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Not in the NRL anymore but Sia Soliola is the best I have seen.

In the Nigel Plum mould with his technique, but man he could hurt them. Alot of big hitters look great, but don't really "hurt" their victims.

Soliola was a killer. Not sure if they're on you tube but there were a couple of hits he did in 2009 on Shannon McPherson and Josh Perry that were just colossal.

Never seen a couple of more stunned footballers.

Agree, however SBW was the best by a mile.

Slackboy72

Coach
3. Jamal Idris

As the soon-to-be Titan's game has evolved, his defence is one area that has improved immeasurably.
I assume this means that any improvement in his game is too small to be measured.

Big Mick

Referee
Plum gets it clearly over everyone else. His technique is awesome and every tackle he makes is hard.

Just look at teams playing Penrith avoiding Plum's defence. I wonder if the Dragons would score any points if Plum was marking up on Matt Cooper.

back in his days at Wagga though, Plums technique wasn't as good, but it was his attack that was his strike weapon, he was a fast elusive Lock who knew how to find the tryline. Many people in Wagga were comparing him at the time to Steve Menzies.

He went to Wests and Tim Sheens coached the attack out of him, and tried to turn him into a prop, the smartest move he made was moving to Canberra where he was utilised as a defensive Back rower.

Penrith have been even better again for him. I hope Cleary can get Plum's agility and hole running ability back again.

No bias there unit? hehehe.

I think Darren Treacy was the best defender ever :sarcasm::sarcasm:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol

imagine how much worse I'd be if I was a Panthers fan too ;-)

MSIH

Bench
classic footage :lol:

Yeah Soliola could put on a hit. And didn't get up sooking 5 mins later like Catai. Pity that other than that Soliola is shit

2nd off season in a row at least Matai is booked in for surgery on his neck/shoulder. What a nice person, I wish he'd come off mid game, have his surgery mid-season and miss out on club games.

Didgi

How do they come up with the list? It would seem a bit pointless if it were the author sitting in a loung chair making the calls.

The only way this list would have credence is if it were actually voted on by the players. They are the ones taking the hits after all.

I know that the players did vote on this a few years back and Plum was judged thge hardest hitter back then. That was in his Canberra days.

Players vote on it every year as part of the RLW Players Poll. This year Plum won it with 28% of the vote - ahead of Civoniceva, Tagatese (10% each), Gallen (7%) and Edwards (5%) (Others 40%).

Would have to agree with those calling for Edwards and Matulino. I probably wouldn't have them in my top 5 but Segeyaro, Tamou and Tariq Sims can hit hard and big too.

Whomever said Plum's tackling was the only aspect of his game, I'd have to disagree. He's certainly not afraid of taking the ball up, and clocked a few 100m+ games this year. Plus there's a couple of offloads of his that stick in my memory too.

:lol: Go for it Unit.

Latest posts