What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPAs revealed!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Im pretty sure some do

but if you cant answer my question a quick google shows of the major cases

Storm - whistleblower
Bulldogs - Self reported
Warriors - self reported
Eels - whistleblower
Manly - Self reported
Sharks - self reported

So i guess we can with some confidence substantiate my previous claim that the integrity unit hasn't independently uncovered any major salary cheating case
Bulldogs were busted by the SMH when they were investigating the Oasis project

siv

First Grade
So on 2015 we had $15 mil of 3pas

In Feb the NRL reports - ‘The total amount of third-party agreements in 2017 was $9.6 million spread among 198 players.’

Now its only $4.2 mil across 94 players

Sounds like someone has tried to redfine the term 3pa

I doubt player managers would have allowed $5.4 mil of 3pas to drop out of the market in 12 months

siv

First Grade
Also the cost difference between a local education course v overseas course - should not be exempt from the cap

Also ANY post career benefit needs to be included in the current year cap

Front-Rower

First Grade
Also the cost difference between a local education course v overseas course - should not be exempt from the cap

100% agree as it influences the decision to go to the club.

_Johnsy

Referee
More than a decade of an abundance of declared & undeclared TPA's & SFA to show for it.

Can only mean one thing, penalty Brisbane.

Valheru

Coach

How could you possibly do that?

You don't know what the value of the benefit might be or if it will even occur.

A promise of something 3 years down the track does not equate to it actually happening.

Spot On

Coach
So on 2015 we had $15 mil of 3pas

In Feb the NRL reports - ‘The total amount of third-party agreements in 2017 was $9.6 million spread among 198 players.’

Now its only $4.2 mil across 94 players

Sounds like someone has tried to redfine the term 3pa

I doubt player managers would have allowed $5.4 mil of 3pas to drop out of the market in 12 months

As a few if us have been saying, the numbers don't add up.

There is another thread about TPAs that was running a while back with the numbers you have outlined. Roy Masters has written a couple good articles about the topic the past few years and has always said Brisbane's TPAs are at least double that of the OP graph.

I could only guess that if we have been fed the correct numbers re TPA $$$ over the past few seasons, then the large drop in 2017 came about to the large rise in the cap and the rhetoric around tightening up the rules around them and the involvement of club and manager. Maybe some people finally got the message????

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
‘.
How could you possibly do that?

You don't know what the value of the benefit might be or if it will even occur.

A promise of something 3 years down the track does not equate to it actually happening.

I’m pretty sure the post playing cushy jobs offers are more than just a handshake!

Valheru

Coach
‘.

I’m pretty sure the post playing cushy jobs offers are more than just a handshake!

Yeah and?

I still see no practical way it can be enforced.

1. You don't know what the value of said role will be.
2. You don't know if it will actually happen regardless of how likely it is. Shit happens.

siv

First Grade
Yeah and?

2. You don't know if it will actually happen regardless of how likely it is. Shit happens.

It can be managed and tracked under the Football Operations Cap in the future

Plus a player manager would be de registered if they entered into a future contract that was not regustered with the NRL

And of course you can strip 1 point for every $25k breach plus $50k salary cap fine for 5 years

Or strip a premiership / trophies that were illegally won

There are a few options

Valheru

Coach
It can be managed and tracked under the Football Operations Cap in the future

Plus a player manager would be de registered if they entered into a future contract that was not regustered with the NRL

And of course you can strip 1 point for every $25k breach plus $50k salary cap fine for 5 years

There are a few options

I am not talking about punishments, i am referring to the practicalities of implementing it.

How do you value a future promise?

What happens if the promise isn't fulfilled?

siv

First Grade
I am not talking about punishments, i am referring to the practicalities of implementing it.

If a contract was signed but not fullfilled - thats means a player has a right to sue for breach of contract

siv

First Grade
‘.

ALL offers need to be registered with the NRL

If a hanshake deal was made but not registered with the NRL

Player, player manager and club are liable

If the hanshake deal is not carried through - the player has the right to lodge a complaint with the NRL and expose the rort

Valheru

Coach
If a contract was signed but not fullfilled - thats means a player has a right to sue for breach of contract

What if it isn't in the contract?

What if the player gets another job?

It sounds impossible to manage.

siv

First Grade
What if it isn't in the contract?

What if the player gets another job?

It sounds impossible to manage.

If not in a contract - player and player manager loses out. But how will the player feel if the club decides to abandon the deal. Not to mention the player manager no longer being trusted. Only takes one disgruntled employee to expose it

Payouts already get included in the salary cap

If player gets another job, club or company is not obliged to pay him. But I would say those $ on the prior years salary cap should NOT be freed up as season is over. Club loses out.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah and?

True but it is the ideal way to root the cap for senior players. The nrl knowing what all the offers for a player are will help as we won’t see players signing $150k clontracts with a cushy three year retirement job when someone else is offering $250k now.

Vee

First Grade

There are a few options
Done.