What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trades & Signings Thread

Big Mick

Referee
Breaking down Mario Williams contract - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/17/breaking-down-the-mario-williams-deal/

Of the signing bonus of $19m, BUffalo has elected to take the entire $19m hit this year as they have rolled forward cap space from last year. Essentially the $19m is the cap space from last year so it is basically nothing to the cap.

So that is $25m in year 1.

So the remaining $70m is then apportioned over years 2-6 meaning on the cap in those years he'll have an aggregate value of only $14m - A much more reasonable number for a player of his stature. And from year 3 Buffalo can pretty much get out of it without too much cap hit if it doesn't work out.

abpanther

Staff member
I'm a bit surprised by the lukewarm interest in Flynn, I thought he would've been chased a little harder

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Thats not too bad considering the massive jump in cap in 2014, but also explains why he signed, alot of money for the first year

Big Mick

Referee
Thats not too bad considering the massive jump in cap in 2014, but also explains why he signed, alot of money for the first year

You think noone else would have offered him that much?

Julius Peppers got $91m with $46m guaranteed....

It wasn't ALL the money...I'm sure Jacksonville, Tampa, Bengals, Denver, Titans could have all offered the same money...

Just smart business by the Bills to frontload it with huge cap space this next two years and when 2014 rolls around when all our bigger draft picks are up for extensions there is more room available and the cap would be going up.

Big Mick

Referee
Flynn's interest is directly tied to Manning.

If Manning had signed last week...Flynn's price would skyrocket.

IMO he was always going to Miami and is reportedly talking contract there right now.

In other news the Patriots have announced the signing of Anthony Gonzalez, WR. If he ever stay's fit, this kid will be great for Tom Brady.

Big Mick

Referee
Also along the lines of Patriots news.

If Denver were to sign Manning it is understood that there would be a trade with the New England Patriots.

The trade would involve Tim Tebow.

IMO it would likely be a straight swap of one of NE's back up QB's. It would make no sense to carry 4 QB's on the roster and Hoyer's 2nd round tender isn't getting him signed anywhere imo.

So I think it would be a straight up Hoyer/Mallett for Tim Tebow swap to back up Peyton Manning.

This is understandable on the Pat's behalf for a few reasons:
- As widely reported at the time, Tebow was highly favoured by Bill Bellicheck.
- Also widely reported at the time, if Tebow was available at the top pick in the 2nd round, the Patriots were using that pick to draft Tim Tebow.
- Josh McDaniels, the coach who drafted Tebow, is back with the Patriots

Chip Bayless

Juniors

Chip Bayless

Juniors
I like the Buffalo Mario Williams signing. Nice move.

Gonzalez Jnr will be in for a huge season in that Pats offense IF he can stay on the field.

Big Mick

Referee
@AdamSchefter: Patriots reached a one-year agreement with former Raiders pass rusher Trevor Scott.

Top signing

Big Mick

Referee
Chiefs signed Kevin Boss, Eric Winston & Brady Quinn today.

I like all the signings.

Quinn is better than Stanzi & imo Cassell.

Boss is a good blocker on the line.

Winston is the best RT in football

Through Adding Hillis as well before the ball is staying out of Cassell's hands imo. They are going to be a power running team. Hillis and Charles just running hard all day.

Mhartew

Juniors
49ers offer Alex Smith a new 3 year contract. Either hedging their bets or they're pulling out of the Peyton Manning race

Big Mick

Referee
3 year $23m contract for Smith apparently. Reports are he is looking for a new agent but.

Potentially due to conflict of interest at CAA with them representing Peyton Manning

Big Mick

Referee
Pat's signing of Lloyd is huge.

Him on one side, Welker in slot, Hernandez at FB, Gronk at TE with maybe Gonzalez or a deep threat receiver like a Stephen Hill on the other side would be awfully hard to contain.

Can't see Chad being with the team by training camp.

Could see him going to a team like Carolina, Miami, Rams to help out a young QB.

Big Mick

Referee
Rumour going around that Bills may cut Chris Kelsay and Dwan Edwards in order to make a run at Wimbley.

If we get Wimbley...and have a D-Line of:

Wimbley - Dareus - Williams - Williams..

I am nursing a semi thinking of the pain that d-line would enforce.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Ok i could be worried about that and thats an understatement

The pats could restructure some deals as we are 8.4mill under the cap with all these signings
And have a look at someone like wimbley

Take 3mill off brady, sign welker to 8mill a year, take 2.5 off wilfork and 1.5 off mayo that gives us another 8mill to spend for a sb winning team

Latest posts