What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial: Parra vs Penrith

lingard

Coach
I'm looking forward to Norman and Foran developing more as a traditional half/five-eight combination at certain points in a game. I think the game is slowly starting to head back in that direction more. The way those two play the game makes them ideally suited to this style.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If we do it's definitely junior and not an aging and injury prone Anthony watmough

When he establishes a pattern of being injury prone then we can describe him as such. But if you want to bitch about player availability, Watmough played his fewest number of games ever last year and still played more than Paulo.

Anyway Watmough's not off contract.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm looking forward to Norman and Foran developing more as a traditional half/five-eight combination at certain points in a game. I think the game is slowly starting to head back in that direction more. The way those two play the game makes them ideally suited to this style.

How is Foran a traditional halfback?

Bigfella

Coach
When he establishes a pattern of being injury prone then we can describe him as such. But if you want to bitch about player availability, Watmough played his fewest number of games ever last year and still played more than Paulo.

Anyway Watmough's not off contract.

Oh yes I forgot that no rugby league player has ever been moved on before his contract expired.

Dank

Juniors
We have too many good forwards now to carry a bench hooker, as somebody mentioned, KE or Gower can cover if required. Peats brings a lot more to the team than just his service from dummy half, and we seem to be doing fine without a creative hooker. Not every player needs to be a strike attacking player, and we have plenty across the park now.

The dark ages are officially over, lads.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe this guy would be interested in coming out of retirement:

73a2dbb343.jpg

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes, but is he better as a prop than those players.

I think he is a 13 but not really a prop. There is a big difference.

There isn't a big difference at all. Trent Merrin said as much last night after the game: http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2016/02/20/panthers_tv_trent_me.html (watch from about 1:01)

Obviously some middle forwards are bigger/stronger than others, and those are the ones you want taking runs at a set defensive line, just like some middle forwards are quicker with better footwork, and those are the ones who cause the most damage against a disrupted defensive line.

But the guys who have everything, like Moeroa, Taumalolo, Taupau and Junior Paulo are able to play either role equally well, and they often do, depending on which other middle forwards are on the field with them.

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal

How is Foran a traditional halfback?

He is more traditional because he is playing first receiver and Norman is following him in the play and playing basically on the same side. Happened plenty last night. Last night we played less left and right halves as has been the tradition in the past few years.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He is more traditional because he is playing first receiver and Norman is following him in the play and playing basically on the same side. Happened plenty last night. Last night we played less left and right halves as has been the tradition in the past few years.

I think last year we often used the option of playing both halves together inside the opposition 20. The idea here is that a mismatch favours the attack, so pretty much every team has set plays with this option. The downside is that you telegraph which side the ball is going to go.

Here's us last year, Kelly to Norman on the left

Again, Kelly to Sandow on the left

And again, Kelly to Sandow

Sandow to Norman

From the same game, Sandow to Norman again

Sandow is outside Norman here, though Norman hits the 'decoy' John Folau

Prior to last year there would have been less of it due to Hayne being the focus of the attack and Joe Paulo playing between the halves. I looked at half a dozen highlights packages from 2014 and only found this example:

Norman to Edwards with Sandow on his outside

Did it happen more last night than last year? I'll take your word for it, but it might just have been that we were close to the Panther's line more often last night, meaning we were able to use that shape more frequently.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I dont think Moeroa has the style of a prop i.e. continually take hit ups.

He is a perfect backrower imo.

Junior Paulo doesn't 'continually take hit ups' either. Last year he played about 60 minutes every game but only made about a dozen runs. Mannah, Lussick and Alavaro all carried the ball far more often.

In fact, Paulo was used more as a 'lock' than the genuine front rowers, often running decoys or attacking the edges inside the 20. That's part of why he looked so impressive with the ball - because he often got the ball in space, lining up on smaller defenders.

However I agree Moeroa is good enough to defend on the edges, whereas Paulo would be a liability (like Taumalolo).

Last edited:

Latest posts