What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial v souths

Before anyone goes slitting their wrists we had our ENTIRE first grade forward pack missing from this match.

Normally we'd have players like Ross
De Gois
Douglas
Thompson
Gallen
Bird
Williams in our First Grade side.

I think the attitude of the two sides was chalk and cheese.
We definately treated the games as a warm up exercise and Souths wanted to really get the side primed for the Charity shield next week.

We were clearly overun by their more experienced and bigger pack.
Issac Luke exploited our ruck defence badly with both Selmes and Su'a still very cumbersome and panting after 10mins play.

Seymour offered nothing in attacking hooker play or sting in defence.

The centres as second rowers clerarly gave us no mongrel in defence and were kept in check in attack.

Millington at lock wasn't overly exciting either.

So what did we learn from the game?

Filiga is still quite raw and needs NYC time.
But he certainly showed signs of how he could become a gun player for us.
He looked a little lost in the backline however and may have a better future in the pack.

Seymour is either a half or should play Premier League if not picked there.
He has no enthusiasm for hooker and is a weak link for us there.

Centres as backrowers gives us less mongrel in the pack for little positives.

Selmes and Su'a are still very exploitable in defence.

Taulapapa should be re named "Taula crappa" mistake after mistake after mistake.......

Simmons is bigger and still fast but has probably lost alot of a agility.

Kimmorley just cruised and seemed determined to just keep it simple.
If he played like that at the start of the Premiership I'll tell you know he won't get 10 guaranteed games.

Green played a very conservative game and needs to be more expansive with his play.

Norrie and Peek are at best benchies but won't offer any huge impact.

Storer will play Premier League.

Sam Moa has great potential but only saw a little of him.
One particular barging run left a Souths player on his back.

We're still very light on depth.
We've basically bought some First Grade fill ins and a couple of players with the potential to play First Grade football at a high level in a year or two but still a bit green.

If we have a good run with injuries we can make the eight.

Do we have enough classy players to take it out?

Hell no!

I wouldnt panic, it was our first trial Souths already had a hitout vs Leeds, premerships are not one in trials, Manly were lapped last week.

Ricky has plenty of time to get team ready, its more important in trials to injred players fit, see how new signings fit in, and check out young guys.

We already heard Ropeta the fullback who came on looked good, lets just wait before we start slitting wrists

spider

Coach
sydneysharkbrisbane68 said:
We already heard Ropeta the fullback who came on looked good, lets just wait before we start slitting wrists
surely that wasn't lenny ropeta was it that played fullback???

he played back row last year

Stalefish

Juniors
Yea Ropeta played in the front row for the Cobras. I think Stapleton got a run at fullback in the late stges of the game and even Brackin Henry might of too.

So with the rumoured injuries, it looks like we'll be without our first choice back three players in Covell, Brown and Kearney. If we're still without them for round one i wouldn't mind seeing Stapleton given a run at fullback, Simmons thrown onto the wing and Tu'u Maori or Cooper on the other flank. Have Pommeroy inside Paris and play Anderson at centre inside Maori/Cooper, just until Filiga has got a little more match fitness under his belt.

I'm not worried. I expect the Sharks to struggle. They don't have the squad to challenge this year. And if I they do challenge it will be a pleasant surprise. No point in having uneccessarily high expectations and begin wrist slitting because they aren't met.

gavin_miller

Juniors
I saw all three grades...nyc game was great!
some things about first grade trial thats been covered maybe but:

-at least 3/4 of our first grade squad were sitting in front of me during the main game, in their sunnies and tracksuits.
not one of those forwards, aside from seymour who isnt a forward, will be a regular. so no forwards played. guys like sua, stephenson, selmes may go alright one at a time should there be an injury, but throw them together and theyre lazy slobs!
the backline...kearney played a quarter and looked awesome. misi shouldnt receive one cent for playing footy because he is terrible. time and time again, he gets a chance and he looks like the clumsiet man alive. enough of misi. ricky has said filiga wont start 1st round. simmons, gods knows where he will play. goodwin probably wont start either for now. so from that estimate, thats one or two of the back five who may start the season, and kearney only played 20mins.
the halves...maybe ricky will go with nod and green but nod only played half a game.
i guess what im saying is we really were understrength and by the time the game was gone early in the 2nd half, blokes most people would not recognise came on and off with regularity.yes, it was embarrassing at the time watching them run into each other, but i think if Brown,covell,pom,bird,gallen,williams,thompson,douglas,degois,ross at the very least, had played ...it'd have been even stevens. thats 10 TEN main players missing!

souths players were up for it. their fans were. our players didnt even look warmed up, and didnt look interested. you cannot compare the team we had last year and their defensive stats to the blokes that played on sat night ... thats just wrong. and whilst we had impressive fan numbers, our fans took it for what it was. a trial.

other thoughts:
-filiga looked pretty good in a team of schmucks. one massive hit and one good line break of sorts.not 100% ready but id throw him in. he looks like he means business.
-noddy looked fat. tried hard. was awful.
-green could be something in time. at least he can kick.
-peek and norrie looked ok, but i wouldnt put them anywhere near the class of our real pack. bench at best.
-simmons is huge. he actually looked ok for a while in the centres, but yeah ... i dont think he his first grade material...
-i think with the right team on the park, and the halves going ok, we will be top 8.

im not saying everything is rosy, but i am saying anyone throwing in their season tix after that trial isnt being fair dinkum ... hopefully we can match newcastle and get something positive going for rnd 1 ...

Quigs

Immortal
gavin_miller said:
-simmons is huge. he actually looked ok for a while in the centres, but yeah ... i dont think he his first grade material...

REALLY !!!!!

"get to bed Millers - its way too early"

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

coolumsharkie

Referee
im not saying everything is rosy, but i am saying anyone throwing in their season tix after that trial isnt being fair dinkum ... hopefully we can match newcastle and get something positive going for rnd 1 ...

This is what made me angry gm... I mean why even put our team through that?

What can you learn from that debacle? I reckon whatever he had in mind, backfired.

Now we have to look for something positive.

Ausguy

Coach
thing is if we won 44-0 we'd be all going off a treat saying how this is gonna be a great year, sometimes its "only a trial" when it suits....

you played your best backline possible pretty much, so stop with the excuses, we had the same amount of players out, just scattered around the field, rather than just the forward pack.

we have way more depth than you guys...that what the scoreline shows.

spider

Coach
Rabbitohs2005 said:
you played your best backline possible pretty much, so stop with the excuses, we had the same amount of players out, just scattered around the field, rather than just the forward pack.
meh - no brown, no covell, kearney's first game after 12 months

for the backs to play well you need go forward which would have been there with the likes of douglass, ross, degois, thompson, williams, gallen, bird

we have way more depth than you guys...that what the scoreline shows
no - i would put it down to the fact that souths played an awful lot better then we did

but no excuses - you touched us up well and truly to which you should be enjoying

Rabbitohs2005 said:

we have way more depth than you guys...that what the scoreline shows.

Your just typical of the South Sydney knobs that were out there on Saturday night.

I'll keep this quote in mind throughout the season..............

coolumsharkie

Referee
spider said:
meh - no brown, no covell, kearney's first game after 12 months

for the backs to play well you need go forward which would have been there with the likes of douglass, ross, degois, thompson, williams, gallen, bird

no - i would put it down to the fact that souths played an awful lot better then we did

but no excuses - you touched us up well and truly to which you should be enjoying

And no Pomm.. That makes 10 regular Starting FG'ers that were missing.

[B said:
Rabbitohs2005]

Someone should remind you that it's a trial, no one likes to cop a flogging.. but lets put it all in perspective before you come in here and start dishing out the orders.

I am so going to enjoy the Bunnies slide this year.

Latest posts