What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Panthers - 4pm Sat 29 Feb 2020 - Bega Recreation Ground

hindy111

Post Whore
Moses was dangerous.

Gutherson was busy, and looked very fit.

Michael Jennings looked sharp.

Mahoney defended very well, and towards the end of the game, started kicking out of dummy half, and quite well, too.

Our best forwards, imo, were Paulo, Alvaro, and Kaufusi - but nobody was bad.

Several players made silly errors, but I thought our pack matched theirs.

Yes but what about in the Panthers side

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No, he’s too small for first grade and had F/A skill.

stay on the fence if you like but he’s not a first graders arsehole. He’s a poor mans Brendan Oake.
I don't rate him either. I get that you can't have a team full of superstars, but I'm not even convinced he is a solid back-up player.

He's a bit like you trying to pick up at Chardon's. Tries hard, but not very effective.

hindy111

Post Whore
I don't rate him either. I get that you can't have a team full of superstars, but I'm not even convinced he is a solid back-up player.

He's a bit like you trying to pick up at Chardon's. Tries hard, but not very effective.

He has played 7 games off the bench and a total of 130 odd minutes or the equivalent of one and a half Nrl games.
I am unsure how anyone could form an opinion based on this.

Also players need in the forwards especially around 30-40 games with quality minutes just to get up to speed.
Stones game time equates to about 3.
Sure he might be a dud but it is impossible to base it on his NRL career so far. Best to base on NSW cup form where he has been excellent.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

I think that last sentence is the most accurate thing you have ever posted in here.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
He has played 7 games off the bench and a total of 130 odd minutes or the equivalent of one and a half Nrl games.
I am unsure how anyone could form an opinion based on this.

Also players need in the forwards especially around 30-40 games with quality minutes just to get up to speed.
Stones game time equates to about 3.
Sure he might be a dud but it is impossible to base it on his NRL career so far. Best to base on NSW cup form where he has been excellent.
Coaches often don't have the luxury of giving underperforming fringe first graders 30-40 games to prove themselves.

However, I can't fault his effort and for that reason I reckon BA will perservere for a little while longer. If I was BA though I'd piss him off.

hindy111

Post Whore
Coaches often don't have the luxury of giving underperforming fringe first graders 30-40 games to prove themselves.

However, I can't fault his effort and for that reason I reckon BA will perservere for a little while longer. If I was BA though I'd piss him off.

I agree with the fact he slips off tackles a little to easy. And with limited game time and chances he is just to eager.
I would like to see Stone given a full game and see how handles it.

hindy111

Post Whore

I agree with the fact he slips off tackles a little to easy. And with limited game time and chances he is just to eager.
I would like to see Stone given a more minutes and see how handles it.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So we give a guy a full game just to see if he can handle it while we have 6 or 7 better options????

And from dummy half Stone makes Kenny Edwards looks like Cameron Smith.

84 Baby

Referee
Tbh, I didn't notice.

Korisau was sharp.

Tamou was strong.

Other than that, I have no idea.
They did a lot of dump and run because we weren’t committing players to tackles so Korisau looked sharp running but other then that he didn’t do much (got the 3 Dally M points from Ruan). And Cleary looked ok ball in hand but they were as disjointed as we were, which would indicate lack of organisation.

I am hopeful (wishfully thinking) that our trials have been final round 2009 style, don’t over play out hand. We did look mostly like we were there to just run, tackle and get tackled.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
was a bit disappointed in the quality of the game from both teams but at least we got an opportunity to blow out a few cobwebs

really gotta reduce the mistakes, so many times we looked OK or get decent field position then handed the ball over

and nice to see Jake has got his scapegoat picked out already for when we dont win the GF

Gazzamatta

Coach
Our inability to turn attackers on to their backs in the tackle was situation normal. Often the attacker was playing the ball before defenders were away from the ruck. Situation normal.
Our premership hopes depend on improved defensive technique. Failing that we cant go to the required level to match the Roosters, Storm, Canberra and probably Manly.
Yep "just a trial" but we need improvement in those critical areas and to date its not evident. Fingers crossed we get it right as the season progresses.
Individually most ok.
The player who least impressed me was Ryan Matterson. I thought he looked uninterested.
Now lets kick some Bulldog ass Thursday week.

Bazal

Post Whore

More often than not a back up who's all heart and motor is a much better option than a back up with a little bit more skill. After all, they're all reserve graders for a reason, but a guy like Stone who puts in everything is going to be better at handling the pace of the game.

He's not a hooker but he's worth keeping as a reserve forward

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Name 6 or 7 better options.

Thanks
Well Stone is a middle forward sooooooooooo Paulo,RCG,Nrown,Evans,Alvaro,Kaufusi,Stefano,Gower and Nuikore proved last year he can be effective in the middle. And i have no idea who he is but i'd even have Davey ahead of him.

Calling him a bench utility is laughable, his service from dummy half is as poor as i have seen and it's scary to think BA continues to think it can work in first grade. He's such a slow learner, he put K Edwards there in his 2nd game as coach and it was a disaster and 7 seasons later he still thinks it's a good idea.

Latest posts