What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triple J Hottest 100 2009

Danish

Referee
I get the reference, I hate modern music though at 18 years old. Much prefer 80s/90s then 00's, by a long long long way.

You are just a modern version of Michael Buble.

He used to walk around when he was a teen listening to music from 10, 20 and 30 years before his generation as well.

Red Bear

Referee
2009 was rubbish for music IMO..

I think Jet she's a genius will get some votes tho..
Bingo, it was an average year. Not all modern music is crap (although personally electronica sh*ts me no end) but it was a very average year for music anyway, when mumford and sons look like topping the charts with a song which is popular because people love to say f**k.

And the best release of the year (Propagandhi) have no songs on the main list.

fish eel

Immortal
Song for a Son, it's part of a 44 track double album that Corgan is releasing song by song on the Smashing Pumpkins website for free.

Oh f**k that guys a wanker.

I loved there stuff, especially Siamese (remember a great gig at Selinas) and Mellon Collie, but that guy is just a first rate wanker.

fish eel

Immortal
He is the worst, he is single handedly destroying his own legacy and that of his band

Yeah, Adore was decent, Machina was OK - had a couple of good moments but then he released the steaming turd that was the Future Embrace.

Flapper

First Grade
Bingo, it was an average year. Not all modern music is crap (although personally electronica sh*ts me no end) but it was a very average year for music anyway, when mumford and sons look like topping the charts with a song which is popular because people love to say f**k.

And the best release of the year (Propagandhi) have no songs on the main list.

It's ridiculous, songs have to fall into a certain bracket to get on the list. I ad to add "Love Long Distance" to the list myself even though they had 4 or 5 other Gossip songs on there, must've been not on there because they played it on 2Day FM. f**king elitism at its finest :roll:

It's their own bloody poll.
Still, nothing will be as bad as the abortion of a list for the "hottest 100 of all time"

Big Pete

Referee
That comment is just as ignorant as Red Bear's about electro.

Blanket statements like that are just silly.

Enlighten me then.

Bad Religion are a fine band, haven't heard the other band but I may give them a thrashing later.

Big Pete

Referee
Ahh, I expected more than just recommendations but that's fine. I'd need to hear more from both band to truly pass judgement but given the legacy of London Calling by The Clash I'll just have to take your word.

I'll admit my initial comment was harsh and I should've sugar coated it by saying 'most punk bands' or the type of punk bands I see celebrated like Lagwagon, Millincolin or Blink 182. All fun bands but their songs are shallow and nothing more than a blief fling just like electro music.

Red Bear

Referee
Well thats your issue right there.

Propagandhi are one of the most politically motivated bands i have heard, but along with them bands such as the clash and the dead kennedys are obvious bands who wrote songs with alot of substance. NOFX when they were at their peak, around the ribbed - white trash two heebs and a bean - punk in drublic era were supurb. Had their share of 'jokey' type songs but also had some very well written songs, musically and lyrically. Even my favourite band of all time, Frenzal Rhomb, have some songs with some decent social commentary (although they also have alot of jokey type music). If you want to get into the darker side have a listen to the Subhumans, very moody lyrics but pretty well put together. And if you want to class At The Drive-in as a punk/hardcore band they are right up there also. Rise Against, especially Revolutions per Minute, is another excellent example of some meaningful punk rock. Stiff Little Fingers are a brilliant Northern Irish band who convey some anger in their music.

Punk has long been my favourite genre of music, and it was the happy go lucky punk that first got me into the music, stuff like blink. Once you hear that and decide to explore the genre past these 'gateway' bands you find alot of excellent work. I dont think any other genre quite captures the raw energy of music like punk, and it came about as a reaction to the self indulgance of early 70's rock n roll.

And yet their is also the fun side to it, with bands like The Descendents who really wrote the copy book on good pop-punk, Milo Goes to College being of the finest albums released. Screeching Weasel and the Meanies are other good examples of really high quality pop punk music.

The no substance comment is pretty rediculous IMO. I personally think stuff like Muse is where you go for no substance, decent music, not particularly my cup of tea, but generally wanky lyrics and not much too it. Silverchair are the epitome of no substance. Michael Jackson was no substance. I see electro as being music of no substance, because having seen a bit of it live half the bloody show is about the visuals, the stage show etc, the entertainment factor rather than the music itself, and that is what I cant stand (Lights and Music by Cut Copy sums up the genre IMO, there is not much too it other than those two things). Im sure there are exceptions because I sure as f**k havent explored it fully because the music does not appeal to me. I just think that stuff such as the presets, cut copy is pretty rubbishy.

Danish

Referee
I'll admit my initial comment was harsh and I should've sugar coated it by saying 'most punk bands' or the type of punk bands I see celebrated like Lagwagon, Millincolin or Blink 182. All fun bands but their songs are shallow and nothing more than a blief fling just like electro music.

Have you heard much if any of Blink's self titled album?

Completely different sound to their early comedy punk type stuff, their best album by far IMO (although Dude Ranch still gets plenty of air time in my car).

Mind you, I don't know why music has to be "deep" anyway. Some of the worst music in the world is stuff that tries to be too big for its boots (U2's latest album for example).

Godz Illa

Coach
Mind you, I don't know why music has to be "deep" anyway. Some of the worst music in the world is stuff that tries to be too big for its boots (U2's latest album for example).
Green Day v Foxboro Hot Tubs is a classic example. I kinda enjoyed Green Day's later work, but the Foxboro Hot Tubs album is ten times more fun. It's the same musicians, just with different modus operandi

fish eel

Immortal
I thought Blink 182 were just a rock/pop band who had a commercial punk image.

To describe them as a 'punk' band is laughable.