What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tupou, Hurrell, Henry, Slaimankhel

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
To be fair though, both the wingers get pretty slow ball from the centres. Hurrell with his pace and strength often goes himself before passing to Topou (which is of course fair enough) while Henry who is not a natural centre dawdles for an extra second or two before finding Omar. Both wingers haven't been getting space like we used to during the Ropati-Manu and Toopi-Meli days, most of our breaks are down the middle now.

I agree. People criticise Manu's form but forget he scores more tries than he has a right to because he NEVER gets the ball in space (at least not since about 2008) but he makes the most of any finishing opportunities he gets. Omar and Tupou are having out the same problem. Agree that Omar at least had a bloody good attempt on the weekend though.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
We don't really have any other options unfortunately. Henry tries damn hard but ball in hand he makes me cringe, especially when he completely ignored an unmarked Omar towards the end of the game.

Tupou is Tupou, solid but little else, which would be fine if we could create anything that resembles space for him. Whenever the ball spreads out his way all I can do is scream "sideline" and hope we have the ball a tackle later.

Iafeta

Referee
Tupou horrible defence... twice caught coming in like a headless chook and then doing a 360 and getting burned on the outside, made no ground whatsoever ball in hand... Henry, the first try was a horror show from him, just like the Titans game he at one stage stands no more than 1 foot apart from his inside defender when its quite clear they're hitting the edges... Slaimankhel, less said the better. Has there ever been a worse first 4-5 games in first grade at the Warriors? He's a deadset slow as wet week horror show, he's a flat track bully who canes in NYC but he's dreadful in first grade. That was the biggest merkin pass as well. Hopeless the lot of them.

Aragorn

First Grade
they all have awesome potential, they're just being coached by an shiet coaching team. Plain and simple.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
No it's not plain and simple. You even said so yourself. They have awesome potential. Looking back at our games, the patterns emerging are pretty clear in regards to how we're playing/where we're going wrong.

I'm sure it's an easy thing to blame Bluey, and I certainly don't think he's faultless as it's a steep learning curve from ESL to NRL, but some of the melodrama is getting a bit laughable (much like that second half).

Aragorn

First Grade
No it's not plain and simple. You even said so yourself. They have awesome potential. Looking back at our games, the patterns emerging are pretty clear in regards to how we're playing/where we're going wrong.

I'm sure it's an easy thing to blame Bluey, and I certainly don't think he's faultless as it's a steep learning curve from ESL to NRL, but some of the melodrama is getting a bit laughable (much like that second half).

buddy, Bluey himself said "judge me after the 9th round" ; " i expect us to be in the final this year"...... its not melodrama, it's like.... :BDH:

Iafeta

Referee
Can't believe I'm agreeing with Aragon. I suppose we can sit back with a cup of camomile tea and be happy for our lads, but fair dinkum, that was disgraceful. And its not isolated either. They have absolutely bombed games from hell four times this year - Broncos, Sharks, Tigers and now this dreadful collapse. Slaimankhel is a deadset horror. Bloke has a lot to learn and a lot of pace to gain before we should be considered the great white hope.

Meth

Staff member
He probably will be, he also would've made no difference to us if he had of stayed.

Made a difference for us pretty consistently. Remember last year? Going ok at the Bulldogs this year too.

But yeah, Tupou and Omar are good too.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Yes it would've been much better if he had come out and said "it's going to be a tough year," "I expect us to struggle."

Seriously, use your head and a bit of common sense. A preseason comment? Really? FFS.

If you want to take everything literally and then hold people to it regardless of circumstances then by all means do so, but I doubt when Bluey said that he expected the majority of our experienced players to be out injured for large chunks. Of course he's going to sound confident, there'll be 8 coaches/players who at the end of the season you'll be able to look back and see very similar comments.

As I've said, I don't think he's faultless, I think he's put far too much faith in young guys who while individually are very good are collectively incapable of a consistent 80 minute performance. You can get away with that in SL where you get an easier game every few weeks, but not in the NRL.

It's been a learning curve for Bluey as much as the players. It's up to them to learn and use this season to help make them stronger going forward.

Iafeta

Referee
KTF, you're missing the point. Its the "judge me at round 9" comment. Well, its round 20, I think its fair to make an evaluation. Don't you think? It seems Bluey thought so, the only one who seems to think it may not be its ok is yourself.

Meth

Staff member
Good to see we're learning. I thought this year we could make a serious big for the Premiership. And we are only getting worse.