What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turner Snubs Titans

ledzep

Bench
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20731252-23214,00.html

Turner snubs Titans

By James Hooper
November 10, 2006
RENEGADE NRL wing Steve Turner continues to thumb his nose at Gold Coast - snubbing the Titans orientation week and refusing to return phone calls from club officials.
In the latest twist in the Turner tug-of-war, Gold Coast warned the Melbourne flyer last night that he must honour his contract or risk sitting on the sidelines for the next three seasons.
Turner insisted he intended to stay in Melbourne after Storm's grand final defeat, and he has previously declared a willingness to take the NRL to court to remain with Storm in 2007.
But Gold Coast remains furious with the defiant wing, who continues to ignore attempts by the Titans to make contact and resolve the issue.
The majority of the Titans playing squad assembled for an orientation day last Tuesday before heading into a three-day camp at Robina.
Turner's future remains unclear.
"Our position hasn't changed since the first day we heard of Stephen trying to back out, and I don't think our position will change," Titans managing director Michael Searle said.
"At some stage, Stephen has got to come to the realisation he has made an agreement to play football with the Titans.
"This is a whole-of-game issue.
"It is setting a fairly ugly precedent if you allow a player to unilaterally terminate a playing contract agreement.
"The role that Melbourne played in facilitating that contract is quite questionable.
"You would hate to infer that someone has induced a player to terminate an agreement but it's certainly looking that way.
"Realistically, he's looking at three years on the sidelines if that's the way he wants to go."
Turner agreed a three-year deal with the fledgling Gold Coast outfit last July before doing a backflip in August and signing another contract with Storm.
The NRL has refused to register the Melbourne contract.
NRL chief executive David Gallop was on the Gold Coast yesterday to launch the 2007 season draw, and he maintained that Turner would not be allowed to play for Storm next year.
"The situation still in our view is that he entered into a contract to play for the Titans," Gallop said.
"We then received a contract from Melbourne Storm - which we have said we won't register.
"While we can't make him play for the Titans, we can certainly ensure that he doesn't play for the Storm.
"Clubs and players have to realise that contracts are something you can't just walk away from."

---
Steve better start making some plans cause at this rate he isn't going to be doing much for the next three years

ouwet

Bench
He hasn't signed anything with the Titans... Gold Coast and the NRL are f**ked.
I Hope he takes them all to court.

The Colonel

Immortal
Turner a Titan or retired: Gallop
The National Rugby League (NRL) is continuing its tough stand over the playing future of Melbourne winger Steve Turner.

Turner agreed to join the Titans earlier this year but had a change of heart and re-signed with the Storm.

Speaking on the Gold Coast, NRL boss David Gallop said the league maintained Turner had a contractual commitment to the Gold Coast.

"If he doesn't want to play football, that's his decision, but our view certainly at the moment is that he's committed to the Titans," Mr Gallop said.

"His agent has been very firm about that as well and we certainly expect him to be playing up here."

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200611/s1785243.htm

ocko

juniors
a verbal contract is still valid as a contract lf (assuming they can prove it)

in any case, your word should be your bond. Good on the NRL and Titans for sticking firm.

Balmain_Boy

What a petulant little prick. I hope the Gold Coast make him sit out if he continues with this bullsh*t.

smeghead

Bench
f**k him. Little prima donna bitch. Don't agree to something than think you can change your mind. Put on your big boy hat Steve and wake up

ocko

juniors
I think eventually the Titans will grant him a release, if for no other reason than he's taking up salary cap money that could be used elsewhere.

Frederick

Staff member
ocko said:
I think eventually the Titans will grant him a release, if for no other reason than he's taking up salary cap money that could be used elsewhere.
Titans should stand their ground - the little sh*t can either honour his agreement and play with them, or he can go find another job

nqboy

First Grade
Possibly, but a lot of money would have to change hands if he wanted a condition allowing him to play for Melbourne. See Parra v Lyon.

ocko

juniors
Captain_Fred said:
Titans should stand their ground - the little sh*t can either honour his agreement and play with them, or he can go find another job

morally, that's what they should do, and i'd agree with that morally, but at some stage I think a practical imperative will come into play and something will be brokered.

The Colonel

Immortal
ocko said:

Depends. I know when the Eels did the conditional release they only had to cover his salary for one year rather than the three despite the contract still being valid given he was playing with St Helens.

I think what you would find is that the NRL would grant some leeway on the salary cap front.

ocko

juniors
yeah, you'd hope so. he certainly shouldn't be seeing any of his money in any case, as he's not fulfilling his end of the basic work contract.

Angry_eel

First Grade
He's digging a bigger hole for himself. Why would other players want to play with him if can't keep to his word. he'll be a scapegoat at the titans if he is forced to go there. but he brought it upon himself.

nqboy

First Grade
I wonder who he's getting his advice from. I mean, there's been no court challenge launched yet (I assume it would have been reported if there was). Does he think if he just lays low and says nothing, the Titans and the NRL will forget aobut it?

ocko

juniors
lol

it's a real pity, because this year he's shown himself to be bloody good player on the field.

aids

Bench
from memory, even his manager has taken the titans side.
and the main problem hinges on an email sent by turner(or his manager) accepting their deal.
so it's not technically a verbal contract.

how old is he anyway?
can he afford to sit out a few years or go to enlgand/union to prove a point?