What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turner Snubs Titans

Redback71 said:
what i dont get is if the storm had the money to re-sign him why didnt they re-sign him in the first place.

looks like turner will be siting out the next couple of years, and suck eggs to him!:x

They did not re-sign him because of past injuries and the fact that they were unsure if he could produce a consistent standard...Turner then had a cracker of a season and it has all gone haywire !!!..:cool:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20816488-2722,00.html

Titans chief returns serve to Waldron
Brent Read
November 25, 2006
A DAY after being accused of treating Steve Turner like a lump of meat, Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle branded his Melbourne counterpart Brian Waldron duplicitous and claimed Storm offered to send one of its young stars to the tourist strip.

Searle said Waldron raised the prospect of a player swap at a meeting last week, a move which would have resulted in Gold Coast allowing Turner to renege on his three-year deal with the Titans.

Searle said the Coast rejected the exchange, pointing out it viewed Turner as a fullback and would only consider a deal for Queensland custodian Billy Slater.

That option was dismissed by Melbourne, which is in the throes of negotiating an extension to Slater's deal.

"It's hypocritical of him to accuse me of that when he was offering a player in exchange," Searle said.

"I think it's duplicitous."

In a stinging rebuke directed at Waldron, Searle also made a pointed reference to the Melbourne chief executive's background in the AFL, where young players are subject to a draft that could result in them being sent to the other side of the country.

Waldron was the chief executive at St Kilda before joining Storm.

"The AFL sends their 18-year-olds all around the country," Searle said.

"He came out of the AFL. He endorsed that system where those young kids are sent everywhere.

"On June 7, he rang to congratulate me on signing Steve Turner. Later he signed the kid with the full knowledge that he had come to an agreement with us.

"We wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for him."

Turner agreed to join Gold Coast for three years but has changed his mind, declaring he wants to stay at Melbourne.

Despite the NRL backing the Titans, Turner and Storm have stood firm.

The ongoing tug-of-war over Turner overshadowed the announcement yesterday that Gold Coast would have co-captains in 2007.

Scott Prince, the Dally M captain of the year for Wests Tigers in 2005, and Luke Bailey will share the job.

"I think it's fantastic," Bailey said.

"When we lose you can talk to Scotty, when we win you can talk to me."

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/article/2006/11/25/2015_sports.html

Turner set for three-year stint on sidelines

Luke Turgeon

25Nov06

RENEGADE winger Steve Turner looks set to spend the next three years sitting on the sidelines, with Gold Coast contract negotiations at an all-time low.

The 22-year-old still plans on staying in Melbourne and playing with grand finalists the Storm despite agreeing to a three-year contract with the Titans in June.

NRL boss David Gallop has made it clear the league will not register Turner as a player if he stays with the Storm and the Titans are not going to back down on their request that he join the Coast.

"We are adamant there are no grounds for compassionate release," said Titans chief executive Michael Searle, who on Wednesday met with Turner and his partner Kate Novak in Brisbane.

"If Steven wants to play rugby league he is going to have to play rugby league on the Gold Coast."

Ever since Turner pulled a backflip on the Titans, Searle has been working to find a solution to the 'debacle', which included considering other players to trade in his place combined with compensation and offering him a release after his first season if he was not happy at the new club.

"At the moment he is staying in Melbourne and that is his choice. If he changes his mind and he wants to play rugby league my door is always open," said Searle.

innsaneink

Referee
Ive been saying for five - six years now that Melbourne are scum....
Nothing new here.
The lack of support from their fans is noticeable.

LESStar58

Referee
FFS Stevie just go for a year and get your release mate!

I'm a storm fan and want tosee him in our jersey but the damage he is doing his career and himself personally can't really be worth all this hoopla!

Evolution

Juniors
I hope the Titans enjoy paying a person to do nothing in another state.

If the NRL and the Titans want to force him to sit out 3 years because of his "contract" then they had better pay him all the money that he is entitled to under this contract. I hope it stops them from being able to get someone else into the team to replace Turner as they would have to be close to the salary cap as it is now.

I would like to have known what the NRL's and the Titans stance would have been if Turner had been stuck down with a career ending injury during the time this contract was in limbo.

Maybe things like this would not happen if the NRL only allowed players to sign new contracts at the end of the season not when they feel like it. It is the stupidest thing I have seen in a sport playing for half a year knowing that you will be somewhere else next year.

cardinal

Juniors
Evolution said:

If the NRL and the Titans want to force him to sit out 3 years because of his "contract" then they had better pay him all the money that he is entitled to under this contract. I hope it stops them from being able to get someone else into the team to replace Turner as they would have to be close to the salary cap as it is now.

I would like to have known what the NRL's and the Titans stance would have been if Turner had been stuck down with a career ending injury during the time this contract was in limbo.

Maybe things like this would not happen if the NRL only allowed players to sign new contracts at the end of the season not when they feel like it. It is the stupidest thing I have seen in a sport playing for half a year knowing that you will be somewhere else next year.

Why would they have to pay him if he is not going to stick to his part of the contract and play football? If Turner had of decided before he agreed to play with the titans they could of got another player but he has left them with stuff all chance of picking up another quality outside back even if they had money left in the salary cap. This is not just any club it is a team that has to put together a whole side from scratch. I think that post maybe the stupidest thing I have ever read.

jc155776

Coach
Evolution said:

You really dont have a clue do you.

He is breaching the contract so they dont have to pay him anything. Its the Storm that seem happy to pay him for three years while the NRL make him sit out.

nqboy

First Grade
El Diablo said:
its too late for that now. that offer has expired.
I think that offer will be withdrawn if Turner launches legal action. Until then, it's still on the table. Unless somebody has an update?

Kingytek

Juniors
nqboy said:
I think that offer will be withdrawn if Turner launches legal action. Until then, it's still on the table. Unless somebody has an update?

The offer has been withdrawn!

legend

Coach
wittyfan said:
What happened in 1946, effie?

It was the year the NSWRL decided to let a team from Manly in the comp and we've all regretted that move ever since!

:crazy: to the NSWRL

smeghead

Bench
Waldron = Scum. Pure and simple. Has the potential in some regards to be a great ambassador to the game but allows his own ego and arrogance to hinder that.

As for Turner. How can you be claiming compassionate grounds in regards to a girlfriend. It couldn't be because she has roots in Melbourne. I mean she only moved down there in October 05