What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turner Snubs Titans

meltiger

First Grade
Bernster said:
Correct mate...

So he wasn't sidelined during SL at all as the other posted suggested above, just he was expected to honor his original contract whilst Brisbane still remained a part of the ARL comp. Ignoring the fact that Turner wants to stay and Gordy wanted to leave, they are very similar situations. Turner is in trouble.

I'm highly impressed with the amount of people hapily sticking the boot into the Storm too I must say :thumbd: You'd think a talented young player wanting to remain in one of the games outposts would meet with approval from most people...

The Colonel

Immortal
meltiger said:
I'm highly impressed with the amount of people hapily sticking the boot into the Storm too I must say :thumbd: You'd think a talented young player wanting to remain in one of the games outposts would meet with approval from most people...

Why? He agreed to sign with the Titans and help them establish themselves in the competition. Was more than happy to be given a shot at a role he prefers in fullback. To me it sounds like he has signed a deal that isn't up to his liking in terms of the amount he will be paid and the Storm are prepared to offer him a better deal.

meltiger

First Grade
The Colonel said:
Why? He agreed to sign with the Titans

That's the question though ... Has he actually signed.

Whilst I think he is going to have trouble proving he hasn't, the Storm are a professional outfit, run by people who are NOT dills. They obviously think they have a case.

El Diablo

Post Whore
meltiger said:

the thing the Storm did that irks me most is this

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport...ght-over-Turner/2006/08/16/1155407863097.html
It is understood the Storm offered Turner an extra $100,000 to stay in Melbourne after initially saying they couldn't fit him under the salary cap.

how much did that play a part in the sudden change of heart?

Godz Illa

Coach
meltiger said:
Because he's the only player in the game to want to play at a particular club for monetary reasons ...
But I thought it was because...
the kid is enjoying playing in the starting line up for one of the best teams in the comp, he's enjoying his team-mates in what is the closest player group in the comp, has adjusted to the Melbourne lifestyle, wants to settle in Melbourne with his partner and has access to the best coach in the game. He makes up his mind he wants to stay in Melbourne.
It's all about the Benjamins.

btw Lowdown, I work for "I Can't Believe It's A Law Firm".

Balmain_Boy

Lowdown said:
And which court do you preside in? Or which legal practice do you work for? I'm going to hire you as you seem so confident...

What's your number?

lol...people pretending to be experts in law on a rugby league forum. The truth is you don't know whats going to happen with this case. You can speculate all you want. But I believe we have lawyers who are highly paid for a reason, and that is because law is complex, difficult to assess, and full of mind-fields and potholes. I suspect this one will go to court, and it could go either way.

An another thing about the publicity...my god. I'm sorry but I agree to work for you after a conversation, then you and go and publicise it and that makes it enforceable? Come on, all it does is make it highly embarrassing for you.

Whilst I might not be an expert, I study law at uni. I have not done advanced contract law, but from what I have studied, Turner doesn't have a leg to stand on. All the core principles of contract law are against him.

smeghead

Bench
Waldron = Scum

You want to know about his ethics ask him a question regarding a players manager signing a contact for said player without his knowledge in front of Storm staff.

Oh and have they ever been under the salary cap?

What Storm fans are bitchy about is the fact with a new team they may actually have to start playing by the rules of the competition as the Titans wil probably get away with what the Storm have for the last number of years.

When is the opening of the new stadium so you actually have to play on a regulation size ground anyway?

The Colonel

Immortal
meltiger said:
That's the question though ... Has he actually signed.

Whilst I think he is going to have trouble proving he hasn't, the Storm are a professional outfit, run by people who are NOT dills. They obviously think they have a case.

He hasn't signed a contract but he has verbally, and I believe via email as well to David Riolo, agreed to the terms of the contract..... hence the NRL's decision.

how much did that play a part in the sudden change of heart?

I'd say it has more than played a part but I can't say I blame him for it. I'm sure that Luke O'Dwyer and a few others who signed so early in the piece with the Titans would have been in a better financial position had they waited a bit longer.

Point of the matter is he has an agreement with the Titans to play....

Balmain_Boy

BTW

“The opportunity to play in my preferred position at fullback excites me. I have been behind some great players at the Storm and have been appreciative for the support they have shown me but the chance to concentrate on the number 1 jersey at a brand new club is something that is too good to pass up.”

Quotes like that are not going to help Turner at all. They represent tacit acceptance of the Titans offer. The exchange of promises and meeting of the minds seem to have occurred and wallah, you have a contract.

The only way out I could see for Turner is if there was no agreement on all of the essential terms of the contract. Whether that is so is beyond my knowledge of both the facts and the law. It would surprise me if it helped him though.,

meltiger

First Grade
Why would I run from you, you are nothing but an arrogant, f**kwitted, disloyal, lying, little failed abortion who cannot comprehend the idea that some people in the world may disagree with you.
------------------------------------------------------
Show me where I have backed up that reason for wanting to stay? Not once have I made any statements on the reason he wants to stay moron.

I actually agree with you dickhead, is this too hard to understand or do I have to shout in your face I AGREE WITH YOU - I do not think Turner will be playing for Melbourne next year. Just because I'd like to see the Storm hang onto all their young talent doesn't change that fact.

But I, you, nor anyone else on this forum is privy to exactly what was agreed on, we are only basing our assumptions on what has been said publicly. If Turner and his lawyers think they have a case, they will fight it. Then when all the evidence is tendered the legal system will decide.

innsaneink

Referee
Balmain_Boy said:
Whilst I might not be an expert, I study law at uni. I have not done advanced contract law, but from what I have studied, Turner doesn't have a leg to stand on. All the core principles of contract law are against him.

Apt, very apt.

Balmain_Boy

meltiger said:
Why would I run from you, you are nothing but an arrogant, f**kwitted, disloyal, lying, little failed abortion who cannot comprehend the idea that some people in the world may disagree with you.

Now who's biting? Anyway, I've just realised I've made a blunder and somehow attributed Waldron's quote to you, so my mistake.

Thanks for that little tirade though. Rather bizarre, I hope you didn't bust a blood vessel.

Wtf is that supposed to mean ink?

philstorm

Juniors
smeghead said:
What Storm fans are bitchy about is the fact with a new team they may actually have to start playing by the rules of the competition as the Titans wil probably get away with what the Storm have for the last number of years.

When is the opening of the new stadium so you actually have to play on a regulation size ground anyway?

Wow, someone is particularly antsy. For starters, the dimensions of Olympic Park are actually correct, though the in-goals are 30cm shorter.

smeghead

Bench
philstorm said:
Wow, someone is particularly antsy. For starters, the dimensions of Olympic Park are actually correct, though the in-goals are 30cm shorter.

It wasn't cap pressure that meant that Prince left. We were able to offer him more that the GC. However for reasons of moving closer to his family and the homesickness and inability to adjust to Sydney from his wife his decision was made for the right reasons.

Please if you have it can you post a comparisson between OP and say Telstra Stadium on playing field size just so I can have an actual comparrisson

Latest posts