What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turner Snubs Titans

Angry_eel

First Grade
He won't see NRL again if he sits out. And as nice a person Michael Searle is, i bet he won't even be allowed to play for wee waa panthers.

smeghead

Bench
NRL should get legal advice and if feesable refuse to validate any contract for him if not for the Titans. If he goes to England than make it a permanent arrangement

Timbo

Staff member
What an arrogant little bastard.

Hope he enjoys working as a brickie for the next three years.

brendothejet

First Grade
I just don't get it.

I would play football in anywhere if they paid me...but can you imagine living on the Gold Coast and being payed to play footy?!?!?!

FMD imagine how much fun you'd have out on the beers after the game!

Simo

First Grade
aids said:
from memory, even his manager has taken the titans side.
and the main problem hinges on an email sent by turner(or his manager) accepting their deal.
so it's not technically a verbal contract.

how old is he anyway?
can he afford to sit out a few years or go to enlgand/union to prove a point?

He cant go to England ro play union unless the titans give him permission. His contract is to play with them and unless they say he can play elsewhere he cant.

Lowdown

Juniors
Anyone here at the age of 21 or 22 make a mistake? Surely we're not all perfect eh? Ever regret joining a new company or starting a new job? FFS - if you didn't want to earn a living with a certain company, imagine that company now saying 'well son, you either work for us or no-one else for the next 3 years' and see how you like it.

After making a verbal decision to join the Titans at the start of the year, six months later, the kid is enjoying playing in the starting line up for one of the best teams in the comp, he's enjoying his team-mates in what is the closest player group in the comp, has adjusted to the Melbourne lifestyle, wants to settle in Melbourne with his partner and has access to the best coach in the game. He makes up his mind he wants to stay in Melbourne. He signs a contract with them (something he did not do with the Titans, even though they were meant to do this, and submit shortly thereafter).

Sure - the Gold Coast is a great place to live, and the Titans will be a strong franchise, so what's impressive about this is not that Turner has turned his back on lets say, Cronulla or Souths or some other struggler - he's made a decision right for him and his family for the right reasons. He'll get far more exposure on the Coast, more publicity, get more noticed in the streets etc - but he's willing to give this up for where he thinks his career will better suited.

I can't blame him, and actually after having met the guy in person, and spoken to him about this - I can assure you he's just a young kid, who never signed a thing, and genuinely thought he was in his rights to change his mind. He admits he made a mistake by have verbally accepted the deal (he's not disputing this), but what he wants is to play for the team of his choice.

He's made his mind up, and the Titans should just walk away and focus on the opportunities that lie in the future. I do remember a certain Wayne Bennett had a verbal agreement with the Roosters not too long ago, but the league dont seem to concerned about that...they are concerned with protecting the new Titans franchise whatever the cost, and unfortunately that cost is the players' welfare.

panthersballboy

Juniors
Can't believe this guy would rather live in/play for Melbourne. The GC would be a great team to play for as the after hours activities would crap all over Melbourne.

Inferno

Coach
There is a difference between a verbal agreement and a verbal contract. Turner agreed to a verbal contract and unless there are statutes requiring the agreement to be in writing, well then it is binding.

Yes he is young, and we all make mistakes when we are young. Who gives a sh*t, its only a mistake because he changed his mind. He still has the choice to admit he was in the wrong, fly up to the coast and join his future teamates.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Lowdown said:
He's made his mind up, and the Titans should just walk away and focus on the opportunities that lie in the future. I do remember a certain Wayne Bennett had a verbal agreement with the Roosters not too long ago, but the league dont seem to concerned about that...they are concerned with protecting the new Titans franchise whatever the cost, and unfortunately that cost is the players' welfare.

pffffft

Melbourne said they couldn't afford him so he left. Stiff for him.

Go to the GC or it's career over :nwave:

meltiger

First Grade
Lowdown said:
After making a verbal decision to join the Titans at the start of the year, six months later, the kid is enjoying playing in the starting line up for one of the best teams in the comp, he's enjoying his team-mates in what is the closest player group in the comp, has adjusted to the Melbourne lifestyle, wants to settle in Melbourne with his partner and has access to the best coach in the game. He makes up his mind he wants to stay in Melbourne. He signs a contract with them (something he did not do with the Titans, even though they were meant to do this, and submit shortly thereafter).

He's in the trouble if the above post is right and he has in fact sent an email to the effect of accepting their offer. There is no possible way he can argue his way out of that.

With him having made a verbal agreement only, all the Titans need is witnesses if it gets to court, if his manager is siding with the club and not himself (This ASTOUNDS me) - Then again, he is going to have a lot of trouble beatng this.

Personally, I like Turner a lot and I hope he does get to stay with the Storm, especially after all the players they have lost recently. However, I honestly believe we will see him playing in a Titans guernsey next season.

Bernster

Juniors
aids said:
how long was talis sidlined for during superleague?

One year from memory. Lucky for me, I am doing Introduction to Commercial Law at Uni this semester...

In my textbook, there is an extract about the News Ltd v ARL case 10 years back and here it is...

News Ltd v Australian Rugby Football League Ltd (1996) 58 FCR 447

Facts: A number of Rugby League Clubs signed "Loyalty Agreements" with Australian Rugby League (ARL) shortly before joining Super League, a breakaway competition being promoted by News Ltd. News Ltd tried to have those "Loyalty Agreements" set aside on the grounds that the ARL had obtained them using economic duress. It alleged (inter alia) that the ARL had threatened that any clubs that did not sign and return the "Loyalty Agreements" would not be allowed to enter and participate in the National Competition in 1995 or thereafter. Unfortunately for News Ltd, the evidence showed that, when the clubs signed the agreements, they had been happy to do so and that they had not signed them because of any actual threat or fear of expulsion.

Held: In the circumstances of the "pressure" had not been induced the clubs to sign the agreements and, in any case, it could not be classed as illegitimate. What the ARL had done was neither unlawfull nor unconscionable in the required sense.​

meltiger

First Grade
Didn't Tallis only sit out 96 whilst Brisbane were still in the same competition as St George? Once Brisbane were off to SL in 97 he was back on the field?

Bernster

Juniors
Inferno said:
There is a difference between a verbal agreement and a verbal contract. Turner agreed to a verbal contract and unless there are statutes requiring the agreement to be in writing, well then it is binding.

Yes he is young, and we all make mistakes when we are young. Who gives a sh*t, its only a mistake because he changed his mind. He still has the choice to admit he was in the wrong, fly up to the coast and join his future teamates.

Contracts can come in three types

*They can be wholly written
*They can be partly written and partly oral

OR

*They can be wholly oral

Bernster

Juniors
meltiger said:
Didn't Tallis only sit out 96 whilst Brisbane were still in the same competition as St George? Once Brisbane were off to SL in 97 he was back on the field?

Correct mate...

Godz Illa

Coach
Lowdown said:
lol Apples and oranges. Turner's verbal agreement was wide open and publicised - he's even autographed merchandise. Ethically, morally and legally Storm and Turner are in the wrong here. Signing Turner after he had agreed to join the Gold Coast was unethical and unscrupulous, and it is in the NRLs and all clubs interests to take the GC side. The only way he'll be in a Storm jersey next year will be after a massive settlement with the Titans.

Lowdown

Juniors
And which court do you preside in? Or which legal practice do you work for? I'm going to hire you as you seem so confident...

What's your number?

lol...people pretending to be experts in law on a rugby league forum. The truth is you don't know whats going to happen with this case. You can speculate all you want. But I believe we have lawyers who are highly paid for a reason, and that is because law is complex, difficult to assess, and full of mind-fields and potholes. I suspect this one will go to court, and it could go either way.

An another thing about the publicity...my god. I'm sorry but I agree to work for you after a conversation, then you and go and publicise it and that makes it enforceable? Come on, all it does is make it highly embarrassing for you.

Latest posts