What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turner Snubs Titans

mattyg

Bench
As if you wouldn't go to the Gold Coast if your were being paid to play football and live up there. This guy must have more than some "issues" if he would rather live in Melbourne than on the Gold Coast.

TITAN1

Juniors
mattyg said:
As if you wouldn't go to the Gold Coast if your were being paid to play football and live up there. This guy must have more than some "issues" if he would rather live in Melbourne than on the Gold Coast.
You heard the old saying,"Two heads but only one brain"..his missus must be an 11 :lol:

willvillain

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/turner-offers-to-pay-titans/2006/11/22/1163871481221.html

Turner offers to pay Titans

TUG-o-war NRL star Steve Turner yesterday offered to pay Gold Coast any extra money he earns by staying in Melbourne to release him during his first face-to-face meeting with Titans managing director Michael Searle.

After receiving a sympathetic hearing from NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday morning, Turner and his agent, David Riolo, flew to Brisbane to outline the reasons the 22-year-old Penrith junior wanted to renege on his three-year Titans deal.

The matter remains unresolved and Turner has refused to rule out going to court rather than report to Gold Coast training next Tuesday, but Riolo revealed the lengths he and Turner were going to to find a solution.

With proposals falling over for the Titans to take firstly Clint Greenshields then Adam Mogg as a replacement, Riolo said Turner had offered to pay the difference between his Gold Coast contract and the one he later signed with the Storm as compensation to allow him and partner Kate Novak to stay in Melbourne.

"I can categorically declare that this is not about money and it never has been," Riolo told the Herald. "Steve Turner would play for Melbourne for less money than his contract with the Titans and he said he would be willing to give them the difference as compensation. He said he would be willing to play for nothing to stay in Melbourne.

"He is not some young pup just suddenly doing a backflip. Steve and Kate have some personal reasons why they want to stay in Melbourne and the club has been very supportive of them."

Gallop urged Turner to plead his case in person to Searle.

But he said there was little the NRL could do and unless Turner was able to come to an arrangement with the Gold Coast he would not be allowed to play for any other club.

What I don't understand is why his girlfriend can't leave Melbourne? If they are THAT f*cken attached, why can't they live together on the Gold Coast?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Defiant-Turner-to-stick-with-Storm/2006/11/22/1163871476931.html

Defiant Turner to stick with Storm
November 22, 2006 - 7:44PM

Defiant winger Steve Turner is refusing to leave Melbourne to join the Gold Coast Titans on a three year deal because he cemented a first grade spot with the Storm this year.

Turner is seeking a release from his three-year agreement with the Titans on compassionate grounds but club managing director Michael Searle is refusing to budge following a surprise meeting with him in a Brisbane hotel.

It's understood Turner told Searle he never believed he'd be playing first grade for the Storm when he agreed to join the Titans in June.

"It was all about the fact he wanted to stay in Melbourne because the Storm have been good to him," a Titans source said.

"That's doesn't constitute compassionate grounds for a release."

Turner went on to make 26 appearances for the Storm in a star-studded backline, scoring 18 tries for the losing grand finalists.

The news comes in the wake of a startling revelation the Titans are likely to grant Penrith forward Frank Puletua a release for compassionate reasons.

Searle had earlier told reporters on the Gold Coast that Turner would feel the "full wrath" of the NRL club if he wanted to stay with Melbourne for financial rather than compassionate reasons.

Searle said he was unconvinced Turner deserved to be released from the Titans after meeting with the Penrith junior.

"I asked Steve a direct question if there were any compassionate reasons other than him having an incredible loyalty to Melbourne and a desire to continue playing first grade for the Storm," Searle said.

"There was nothing new brought to light. We'd set a bad precedent for the game and the club if we released him."

Turner, partner Kate, player-manager David Riolo, Storm coach Craig Bellamy and club chief executive Brian Waldron met with Gallop in Sydney this morning to plead their case for the Penrith junior to remain in Melbourne.

Gallop said he had explained to Turner that the NRL's hands were tied on the thorny issue.

"The entire fabric of the system relies on clubs and players honouring their commitment," he added.

"It seems to be acknowledged that he had committed to the Titans but he certainly has some personal issues that make the situation complicated.

"The entire situation is very distressing."But Gallop said he would continue to support the Titans in their battle to ensure Turner honoured his agreement.

The Titans are privately fuming over Waldron's handling of the affair after Turner backflipped and re-signed with the Storm in August.

They claim the Storm have recruited "spin doctors" to put their case in a positive light.

"They'll come out and try to create something," a Titans source said.

Riolo said it was a difficult period for Turner, who was good friends with Titans coach John Cartwright and football manager Scott Sattler.

"He has strained those personal relationships because of this," Riolo said.

"It's been a very stressful time for him and his girlfriend."

Searle would now adopt a "wait and see" approach but Riolo said the ball was firmly in the Titans' court.

"Steve Turner wants to stay in Melbourne and he's pushed that forward to the Gold Coast," Riolo said.

"It's now up to them to decide what they want to do. It's been a difficult situation for everyone.

"The other problem the Gold Coast would have is replacing him in their roster."

Searle said Puletua had compelling family reasons to be released but stressed the club was yet to make a final decision.

"I'll probably sit down with John Cartwright in the next week or so and we'll work it through," Searle added.

"It is something we're considering and we'll go through the same process as with Steve Turner."

Turner and the Storm make me ill.

I'm starting to think this bloke is worse than Jamie Lyon

smeghead

Bench
It's amazing that now he is seeking compassionate grounds after Frank Puletua looks like he may be granted a release on those grounds.

He really can't use the girlfriend excuse either. She only moved to Melbourne from Penrith in October 2005.

The Gold Coast has to remain steadfast on this. They cannot allow him to Weasel out of this. Can you imagine Waldron and Turner in the press claiming victory

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/article/2006/11/23/1959_sports.html

No escape for Turner

Patrick Molihan

23Nov06

TITANS boss Michael Searle has refused to back down in his battle with reluctant recruit Steve Turner and told the Storm flyer it's time to realise he's not being asked to 'go to war in Iraq'.

Turner flew to Brisbane late yesterday for hastily arranged peace talks with Searle after earlier telling National Rugby League boss David Gallop that extenuating personal issues were behind his desire to renege on a three-year deal with the Gold Coast.

Gallop asked Searle to meet with the 22-year-old for the first time after Turner stated his case at NRL headquarters with his partner Kate Novak, who had been in tears, as she pleaded for rugby league's chief executive to intervene to let her boyfriend remain in Melbourne.

"I was going there hoping we'd be told something new and he told me nothing new. He said he wanted to reward Melbourne for their loyalty," said Searle.

"So I don't see how anything he told me constitutes compassionate grounds for a release."

Searle says Turner is not in counselling for any issues outstanding and the Titans expect him to honour the deal.

The former Penrith junior has been told to report for training next week with Searle pointing out that Turner had agreed to the deal.

It was not an AFL-type situation where he was some 18-year-old who had been drafted unwillingly to a club interstate.

"I said to Steve and Kate, you're a professional rugby league player, coming to the Gold Coast to play football. You're not a soldier going to war in Iraq," said Searle.

"We as a club can't be any more reasonable than we've been.

"We have offered him a get-out clause after one year and I've got no doubt if he comes up here he'll never leave."

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron has called on the Titans to be sympathetic to his plight.

"Life isn't all about playing footy. Its about being happy," said Waldron. "We probably lose sight (of that) as an industry.

"They're not just footballers, they're human beings and we think because they play the game and (given) their profile, and there's some good wages that come with it, that they're not important."

However, Searle says if there were genuine compassionate issues they would let a player out of a contract.

He is worried about reports the Storm offered Turner more money to stay.

"So it's hard for us to imagine compassionate grounds when there does appear to be a financial result out of this," said Searle.

"Call me a cynic but I think sometimes when there is extra cash that obviously does lead people to change their mind."

Turner received plenty of sympathy for his case from NRL boss David Gallop but no support. Gallop maintains he would be doing an injustice to the Titans and the contract negotiation system that exists in rugby league if he bent the rules.

"I think our hands are tied on it," he said. "I think that there's a contract in place and unless the Titans change their view he (Turner) is going to have to face up to that."

After admitting to Searle the only reason he wants to stay in Melbourne is because he was a regular first grader and he wanted to repay Melbourne for the loyalty they've shown... he doesn't even deserve the one-year get out clause the Titans have been so generous to offer.

He's a disgrace, and I feel for the Titans in this ugly situation. The other players will be fuming.

imasharkie

Coach
Throw the book at Turner and The Storm.

This is a disgrace to the NRL.

Charge Turner with bringing the game into disrepute and suspend him for the 3 years.

I agree he is a grub and the Storm are not much better trying to entice him to break a contract. What would they be doing if the shoe was on the other foot. They're just as pathetic as him.

The NRL should deduct points of them for 2007 season like they did to the Warriors. IMO this is just as bad as rorting the system.

Boatharbour

Juniors
This is terrible behaviour from
Turner and his manager, they
should both be fined and
disciplined very sternly. This
undermines the fabric that holds
our game together.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I applaud the stance that Michal Searle and his club take on this matter, if only our club had enough backbone to do the same with a certain other prick who was allowed to make a sh*tload of money in England when he should of been chasing pigs for 3 years.

RainMan

Juniors
eelavation said:
I applaud the stance that Michal Searle and his club take on this matter, if only our club had enough backbone to do the same with a certain other prick who was allowed to make a sh*tload of money in England when he should of been chasing pigs for 3 years.

Here here!

dubby

Bench
If the shoe was on the other foot, I wonder if it would fit?

Melbourne have long been my mosr despised team, now they are proving that they are real germs as well.

Latest posts