What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turner Snubs Titans

salivor

First Grade
1999 said:
i still cant get over why the titans want a player in their ranks that doesnt want to be there, not putting in the effort and dragging the rest of the team down, its a good side on paper as it is, why dont they just give him a release if he's going to be stubborn about it, i think the nrl are only stepping in coz the titans franchise is their major selling point for the game next season, if it was the tigers or some sh*tty team like that no one would get this sort of publicity over a player battle, especially a so so rookie winger, i just dont understand why they dont just give it a rest, give us some real f**kin footy news ey boys

I don't think the Titans could give a toss whether Turner is part of their line up or not. Even if he does head to the Gold Coast I'd think that he'd seriously have to prove himself to the coaching and admin staff to get anywhere near first grade.

It's about taking a stand, they're a new club and they need to show that they won't just be walked all over by players. A contract is a contract and you can't just let players walk away from it every time they get cold feet, they're setting a precedent to all players within the club and any potential signings in years to come.

Gene Krupa

Referee
1999 said:
i still cant get over why the titans want a player in their ranks that doesnt want to be there, not putting in the effort and dragging the rest of the team down, its a good side on paper as it is, why dont they just give him a release if he's going to be stubborn about it, i think the nrl are only stepping in coz the titans franchise is their major selling point for the game next season, if it was the tigers or some sh*tty team like that no one would get this sort of publicity over a player battle, especially a so so rookie winger, i just dont understand why they dont just give it a rest, give us some real f**kin footy news ey boys

A great precident that would set. Oh and you don't have a vested interest in that out come at all, do you? Being a Storm supporter and all.

philstorm said:
If the Courts were to rule in the Storms favour and the NRL still veto, could that be construed as a restraint of trade or something?

No restraint of trade. Storm would still have to pay him even though he would be sitting out. It's only a restraint of trade if he can't make an earning.

El Diablo

Post Whore
1999 said:

i think its a case of he'd prefer to play with the Storm. funny how that seemed to happen after they offered him a contract with extra $$$$.

I can't understand why he doesn't just play 3 seasons at the GC then head back to Melbourne after, or even just play 1 or 2 and ask for a release.

Marshall_magic said:
I can't understand why he doesn't just play 3 seasons at the GC then head back to Melbourne after, or even just play 1 or 2 and ask for a release.

u can say the same about elford

but eh we dont know the full story on turner there could be 100 reasons why he backed out maybe he got a girlfriend from here or maybe its the fact that this is hes first time he hasnt been injured and hes finally starting too enjoy it in melbourne and maybe it took him a year too figure it out

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
who wants any type of employee in their business, or workplace, who continually says that they don't wish to be there? Contract, handshake, or verbally, who cares, keep that particular person as far away as possible if they don't want a bar of what you wish to give them!

TITAN1

Juniors
Thats an easy out for the "employee' who suddenly decides he/she doesnt want to be there isnt it?:?

TITAN1 said:
And maybe he should have thought first...:crazy:

maybe he didnt find a Girl Friend until after he signed the contract maybe its the nrl fault for allowing players too sign before the season ends i think the only reason the nrl is on GC side is cause they dont want the blame on them

Misty Bee

First Grade
joel caine number 1 fan said:
maybe he didnt find a Girl Friend until after he signed the contract maybe its the nrl fault for allowing players too sign before the season ends i think the only reason the nrl is on GC side is cause they dont want the blame on them

So It's the NRL's fault that a player signs a contract willingly before the season ended?

How DARE the NRL allow players to chose the timing of contract signings!!!!

dickhead!

most sports dont allow players too sign contracts before the season is over esp with another club if nrl stops this than there wont be anymore problems

TITAN1

Juniors
joel caine number 1 fan said:
And maybe you should take off your anti GC blinkers,every post of yours on this subject shows your bias against the club..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The NRL did everything it could to encourage a relocation. The Gold Coast bid team made contact with a few Sydney clubs. But none of them would make the leap.

If you're worried about there being too many teams, perhaps you should talk to certain Sydney clubs who find themselves sandwiched geographically between other clubs, but refuse to budge.

At the end of the day, there had to be another team in SE Queensland, and GC put the bid together.

Balmain_Boy

Well said Willow.

Can't believe people are still whinging about the 14 teams thing. The Titans should be excellent for Rugby League, which is fine by me.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/article/2006/11/20/1907_sports.html

`Out' offer to renegade Titan Steve Turner

Luke Turgeon

20Nov06

RENEGADE Titan Steve Turner has been offered a 'get out of the Gold Coast' clause after just one season if he is unhappy living on the glitter strip.

In a move designed to speed up negotiations with the winger, Titans chief executive Michael Searle said he put the deal on the table because he believes that once Turner finally makes it to the Coast the 22-year-old won't want to leave.

"What we have done as part of the negotiations is that I have offered to his manager that we would consider releasing him on October 31 if he didn't want to stay," said Searle. "It basically means there would be an out clause within 12 months if he was uncomfortable with the place.

"He has been saying that he is not comfortable coming here, but this shows that we are operating in good faith. We would like to think he would at least come here and experience it first.

"From our point of view, if he comes here and tries it and doesn't enjoy it, then he is free to go.

"If he wants to go back to Melbourne after that then good luck to him. I will drop him off at the airport if he wants.

"But I would be very surprised if he came here and didn't want to stay long term."

Turner verbally agreed to a three-year contract with the Titans in June before getting cold feet and re-signing with the Storm a month later.

The NRL has made it clear they will not register Turner's new contract with the Storm, believing he should honour his commitment to the Gold Coast.

As a result, Turner's only real options are to play for the Titans or sit out the next three seasons.

"If they do decide to go to court this dispute could be more than 12 months in the courts anyway," said Searle. "The 12-month offer shows the club is acting in good faith, the way it has done throughout the entire process.

"We are empathetic that he may be thinking twice about his decision but it doesn't remove the obligation to his original commitment.

"But that (the one-season deal) would only be if he came here.

"If he doesn't he is sitting on the sidelines for the next three years."

The news follows reports at the weekend that the Titans were offered the services of Queensland centre Adam Mogg and financial compensation in exchange for letting Turner remain in Melbourne. Turner's manager Dave Riolo did his best to broker the deal, which would have seen Mogg abandon plans to join English Super League club Catalans.

But the deal fell through when Melbourne would not meet the compensation criteria.

"The number of offers that were put to us for players to substitute were wide and varied," said Searle.

"The most likely one was Adam Mogg, but at the end of the day it wasn't an easy deal to achieve and Melbourne thought that the compensation request was too much for them."

Latest posts