What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turner Snubs Titans

Eelectrica

Referee
Turner has tried the spoiled brat routine - 'I don't wanna go Wah Wah Wah! :cry: ' and the Titans haven't budged.
Hope he comes to his senses and officially joins the Titans sooner rather than later.

ByRd

First Grade
I agree that Turner should be made to honour his contract with the Ttians but why would the GC want to have a player that doesnt want to be there??? He will have to work extra hard now to eanr repect of fans and teammates.

Gene Krupa

Referee
doglyf said:
I agree that Turner should be made to honour his contract with the Ttians but why would the GC want to have a player that doesnt want to be there??? He will have to work extra hard now to eanr repect of fans and teammates.

That's really not the point though, is it?

So then we'll have every player signing a contract and when he's offered more, pulling the same routine to try and get out of his contract. There won't be any need for a contract then, all the players will play on a game to game basis.

That will do the game alot of good.

This is a business now, not a sport. In business you honour your contracts!

cyberdj

Juniors
So then we'll have every player signing a contract and when he's offered more, pulling the same routine to try and get out of his contract
He didn't sign the contract. His manager sent an email advising that the contract terms and conditions seemed to be acceptable and to send the contract through to him to sign.

IMO Turner had a verbal in-principal agreement, some basic details to work with, but not enough to constitute a contract. Months later, his agent then sent an email saying his client was prepared to accept the contract terms and conditions. In the meantime Turner signed a contract with Storm and it was submitted to the NRL.
I remember reading somewhere that an NRL contract has to be lodged within ten days of it being signed by both parties... BUT

Regardless of what does happen, he is not required to be at the 'Orientation', he's expected there on the first day of training
so lay off the kid, if you want to bag him at least wait until he doesn't show up for that (which I fully expect him to no-show)

Misty Bee

First Grade
I can't understand what the overrated dickwad thinks he will achieve by sitting on a St Kilda tram while the NRL are quite clear about him not playing for Melboring!!!

Let him hold his breath.

Canard

Immortal
Regardless of what does happen, he is not required to be at the 'Orientation', he's expected there on the first day of training
so lay off the kid, if you want to bag him at least wait until he doesn't show up for that (which I fully expect him to no-show)

What??

So dont bag him yet, he hasn't f**ked up yet, but I fully expect him to f**k up soon:oops:

Kingytek

Juniors
cyberdj said:
He didn't sign the contract. His manager sent an email advising that the contract terms and conditions seemed to be acceptable and to send the contract through to him to sign.

IMO Turner had a verbal in-principal agreement, some basic details to work with, but not enough to constitute a contract. Months later, his agent then sent an email saying his client was prepared to accept the contract terms and conditions. In the meantime Turner signed a contract with Storm and it was submitted to the NRL.
I remember reading somewhere that an NRL contract has to be lodged within ten days of it being signed by both parties... BUT

Sorry but I dont know about the law and contracts etc but Emails can be used as evidence in a law of court and an email stating acceptance is just as valid as signing a contract. (I've had to retrieve many emails from years old backups for Court Cases etc)

cyberdj

Juniors
Kingytek said:
Sorry but I dont know about the law and contracts etc but Emails can be used as evidence in a law of court and an email stating acceptance is just as valid as signing a contract. (I've had to retrieve many emails from years old backups for Court Cases etc)

Standard practice is to negotiate the terms of a contract, once both parties are happy with the terms, the contract is then signed by all parties.
How is sending an email saying 'yeah those terms sound okay, send through the contract to be reviewed and (possibly) signed' suddenly become a legally binding contract.
I go into a caryard and ask how much for a car including all 'onroad costs'. I get a price I think is acceptable, I say I'd like to buy it and the salesman says I'll get the paperwork ready. Am I now legally obliged to buy it?

I was offered a job, I said yes I'd like to take the job. The company then went and got a contract written up and sent through to me. I read the contract, and as I wasn't happy with it, I advised the company I was no longer interested (after trying to negotiate). Was I legally obliged to take the job?

nqboy

First Grade
cyberdj said:
Standard practice is to negotiate the terms of a contract, once both parties are happy with the terms, the contract is then signed by all parties.
How is sending an email saying 'yeah those terms sound okay, send through the contract to be reviewed and (possibly) signed' suddenly become a legally binding contract.
I go into a caryard and ask how much for a car including all 'onroad costs'. I get a price I think is acceptable, I say I'd like to buy it and the salesman says I'll get the paperwork ready. Am I now legally obliged to buy it?

I was offered a job, I said yes I'd like to take the job. The company then went and got a contract written up and sent through to me. I read the contract, and as I wasn't happy with it, I advised the company I was no longer interested (after trying to negotiate). Was I legally obliged to take the job?
It would depend on more than the silly simplistic scenarios you have outlined. The devil is in the detail and according to most on here, Turner is well and truly done on the detail.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
cyberdj said:

exactly! there's a difference between executing a contract (verbal or whatever) and agreeing to terms in principle (even in writing).

however, in saying that, nobody here is privy to exactly what has happened. it is possible that there is evidence that we don't know about that could seal the case for either party.

as much as i'd like to see him stay with storm, i would be leaning towards him having to go to GC but from what has been presented to the public it is in no way certain. there are possible outs for turner that cannot be discounted.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
gold coast let a lot of promissing players go like clint greenshields in order to sign turner. No wonder they want to make him stay. He is being a spoilt brat for acting the way he is.

innsaneink

Referee
Bring it home Knights said:
gold coast let a lot of promissing players go like clint greenshields in order to sign turner. No wonder they want to make him stay. He is being a spoilt brat for acting the way he is.

One is not "a lot"

_Johnsy

Referee
I am sure the melbourne board/club have persuaded him to stay, or at the very least not encouraged him to stick to his word. IMO it says more about Turner and the Storm than it does the Titans, make the knob play 3 years in qld cup and teach the petulant twat a lesson.

Latest posts