What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turner Snubs Titans

Molly

Juniors
Pretty bored with this whole issue, however there are two points that I heard discussed a couple of weeks ago which I thought were interesting...

1 - The NRL have made a decision re the agreement being a firm contract and are not allowing the written agreement with the storm to be recognised.
The decison the NRL have made is perhaps not theirs to make as it is a point of law that the courts will need to decisde, so their decision on which side they are on is largely irrelevant.

2 - Given the above point, Turner may have a case against NRL in the area of restraint of trade, as they are forcing his options in refusing to recognise his written agreement.

End of the day, who cares really....teh Storm have the depth to cover Turner and he isnt going to make much difference to the Titans overall, given their inside players the ball aint going any where near him, whether he plays fullback or wing. I guess he just doesnt want to get flogged each week.

Rage

Juniors
i don't actually believe that turner is due at the titans yet, it might be that this is just a media beat up as unlikely as that sounds. the kid may just be sorting out some lose ends before moving.

we'll know for sure if he shows up for training for melbourne on monday morning though.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Melon,prepeare to be bombarded with QLD dudes telling you that the 3 previous GC clubs that fell over didn't ;-)

NGR

Juniors
He will be playing in the rugby world cup next year if hes banned from league...

Coaster

Bench
Melon,prepeare to be bombarded with QLD dudes telling you that the 3 previous GC clubs that fell over didn't ;-)

No need to, if any clubs fall over it will be the Roosters.

Btw, Most Titans fans couldnt give a Rats Ars* what Turner does, imo he is soaking up dollars and a spot that could be taken by a GC junior thats wants to play for our club and would chew his right arm off to get there.

Titans management at the very least have a right to be compensated for this BS, due to the fact that we could have signed Greenshields or another first grade player instead of this whinging little girl.

Titans should recieve 100k from the melbourne storm, and they can keep him. And the Storm should deduct that from Turners salary, afterall this is Turners mess not the Titans or the Storms.

I can see him many years from now, sitting on a pebbled beach in Melbourne all fat and sh*t, wondering what could have been and where that bitch is now that made him throw it all away.

nqboy

First Grade
melon.... said:
The rubbish has started already. This will be another GC failure in a couple of years
Ah Lemon. I've missed you sprinkling your fairy dust all around, enlightening us all with your wisdom. Welcome back.

melon.... said:
The rubbish has started already. This will be another GC failure in a couple of years

Agree totally...Turner should stay put if he wants to play with a successful club.:cool:

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Fact of the matter is that Turner doesn't have a leg to stand on in regards to his position concerning the Titans. There is documented evidence - some of which he gave personally - that he agreed to a verbal contract, and his contract with the Titans therefore carries as much clout as though he'd signed it in blood in David Gallop's presence. The law ascribes as much value to a verbal contract as a written one - the only reason why verbal contracts are considered less desirable is because they are difficult to find evidence to substantiate. There is plenty of evidence that Turner agreed to play for the Titans, hence his contract with them has as much validity as any other player's contract with any other team.

Fact of the matter is that Turner will only be able to play for the Storm if the Titans agree to release him, and that they cannot afford to do. Their position is too tenuous as a new club - now more than ever, since the issue has gained so much press. Turner will either play for the Titans or he won't play at all.

[furrycat]

Coach
LebaneseForces said:
He hasn't signed anything with the Titans... Gold Coast and the NRL are f**ked.
I Hope he takes them all to court.

You have NFI about law.

Verbal contracts are legally binding.

[furrycat]

Coach
Lowdown said:
Anyone here at the age of 21 or 22 make a mistake? Surely we're not all perfect eh? Ever regret joining a new company or starting a new job? FFS - if you didn't want to earn a living with a certain company, imagine that company now saying 'well son, you either work for us or no-one else for the next 3 years' and see how you like it.

After making a verbal decision to join the Titans at the start of the year, six months later, the kid is enjoying playing in the starting line up for one of the best teams in the comp, he's enjoying his team-mates in what is the closest player group in the comp, has adjusted to the Melbourne lifestyle, wants to settle in Melbourne with his partner and has access to the best coach in the game. He makes up his mind he wants to stay in Melbourne. He signs a contract with them (something he did not do with the Titans, even though they were meant to do this, and submit shortly thereafter).

Sure - the Gold Coast is a great place to live, and the Titans will be a strong franchise, so what's impressive about this is not that Turner has turned his back on lets say, Cronulla or Souths or some other struggler - he's made a decision right for him and his family for the right reasons. He'll get far more exposure on the Coast, more publicity, get more noticed in the streets etc - but he's willing to give this up for where he thinks his career will better suited.

I can't blame him, and actually after having met the guy in person, and spoken to him about this - I can assure you he's just a young kid, who never signed a thing, and genuinely thought he was in his rights to change his mind. He admits he made a mistake by have verbally accepted the deal (he's not disputing this), but what he wants is to play for the team of his choice.

He's made his mind up, and the Titans should just walk away and focus on the opportunities that lie in the future. I do remember a certain Wayne Bennett had a verbal agreement with the Roosters not too long ago, but the league dont seem to concerned about that...they are concerned with protecting the new Titans franchise whatever the cost, and unfortunately that cost is the players' welfare.

No.

He agreed to a verbal contract- there are quotes from him in the media. He entered into a legal contract the day he verbally agreed.

He can't just get out of it.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Lowdown said:
And which court do you preside in? Or which legal practice do you work for? I'm going to hire you as you seem so confident...

What's your number?

lol...people pretending to be experts in law on a rugby league forum. The truth is you don't know whats going to happen with this case. You can speculate all you want. But I believe we have lawyers who are highly paid for a reason, and that is because law is complex, difficult to assess, and full of mind-fields and potholes. I suspect this one will go to court, and it could go either way.

An another thing about the publicity...my god. I'm sorry but I agree to work for you after a conversation, then you and go and publicise it and that makes it enforceable? Come on, all it does is make it highly embarrassing for you.

Is that you Steve?

And on your last point, Turner PARTICIPATED in the promotions! It wasn't a case of the Titans just coming out and saying it. This would imply some complicity.

Noa

First Grade
Putting aside where he should be playing next-year (Im a Storm fan and I think he should go to the titans), why the f**k would he be at the "orientation week" when his future hasnt been decided.

[furrycat]

Coach
Um it has been?

He entered into a deal- he has been told by the NRL he has to honour it. Its either the Titans or 3 year rest.

aids said:
from memory, even his manager has taken the titans side.
and the main problem hinges on an email sent by turner(or his manager) accepting their deal.
so it's not technically a verbal contract.

how old is he anyway?
can he afford to sit out a few years or go to enlgand/union to prove a point?

he was on tv talking about how he was going to enjoy playing for the titans as well.

Tyson

Juniors
if he was a better playa he should cum to da hurricanes but hes too sh*t n faatau owns him neway

Wicks

Juniors
If the Storm are serious about wanting Turner they should send Slater to the Titans as discussed earlier in the year